• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I love NY Skiing

RossiSkier

From the SKI MAGAZINE archives:

http://www.skimag.com/skimag/features/article/0,12795,327547,00.html

"Think of great ski states. Colorado and Utah come to mind. But New York has more ski areas than both those luminous states combined. In fact, with about 60 resorts, New York has the most ski areas of any state in the union."

"Empire State skiing, however, isn't about big, it's about little. Lots of little. Not one of the state's ski areas recorded 500,000 annual lift ticket sales, an industry benchmark for first-tier resorts. Nor do the tentacles of corporate skiing stretch here; none of New York's areas are owned by the handful of national resort conglomerates. "

Does anybody visit a small, family owned hill in NYS? My favorite is Willard Mountain. 21 miles from me. Was able to get my wife ski lessons for a fraction of what it would cost at a resort. They have a great ski program and my twins will soon be a part of.

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Yes...

I patrol at Belleayre, although not family-owned, it is NY state-owned.

Plattekill would come to mind as a great family-owned resort. Their only limitation is they have limited snow making there. It's a shame because it's a great mountain.

I've also skied Sterling Forest (used to live 5 minutes from there). That may be family-owned. It's a tiny mountain but nice to go at night during the week if you don't want to drive far.

dmc

Re: Yes...

GadgetRick said:
I patrol at Belleayre, although not family-owned, it is NY state-owned.

My band played there a couple times last summer... I like the place!!
My friend Ellie started there a couple years ago... She loves it!!!

A state job and benefits!!!

rjc1976

Re: Yes...

GadgetRick said:
I've also skied Sterling Forest (used to live 5 minutes from there). That may be family-owned. It's a tiny mountain but nice to go at night during the week if you don't want to drive far.

I used to go there too! They currently charge $5 for a lift ticket after 5 PM on Tuesdays. I haven't taken advantage of it, but it does sound like quite the deal!

goldsbar

I used to ski Sterling Forest all the time in high school. Isn't the vertical something like 300 feet? I just checked the website and it looks like they turned the "Bowl" into a tubing park. Hah!

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Sterline Forest

Yes, it's not much of a vertical but it's cheap. I believe Tuesdays are like $5 as stated here (after 5:00 or something) and the other nights it's like $15. They're open to like 10:00 so it's a fun, cheap thing to do when you've got nothing better to do.

Your girlfriend Ellie still works at Belleayre? What does she do there?

Charlie Schuessler

I've been to Hunter Mountain a few times and have enjoyed it. The West Side is steep and when the snow is good, it is fast & fun.

I've also been to Gore Mountain and enjoy it more & more every time I go. Their improvements have made the mountain less of two areas and more ONE MOUNTAIN in terms of linking different chairs without the run out to the bottom. I'm going there this weekend and looking forward to it.

Someday, starting with Whiteface, I’d like to spend a week traveling around the Adirondacks and hitting the ski areas in that region. Maybe next year….