• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I want to love the 2014-15 Subaru Forester

How bad are the 2014-15 Forester seats?

• My Butt hurts the seats are so bad

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Seats are tolerable but still below averge on long trips

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Meh, seats are average

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Seats are better than average

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The last time Subarus were discussed here was 2013. Since then, Subaru has refreshed both the Forester and Outback / rebadged.

I am in the market for a 2014 or 15 Forester or Outback. I buy used. I really want to love the Forester. There are only two things holding me back right now. 1. Highway Noise and 2. Seat comfort.

I know, I've got to try them for myself, but a lot of people on several sub boards are dissing the comfort of the Forester. It is especially for long rides this is an issue.

I have also heard that the seats are different as you go up the trim levels, from base, to premium, to limited to touring. A couple people mentioned that the leather seats are nice.

Now, I know this is uber-subjective, body types, height, age and various preferences, but I'd like you to take a swing at this.

I drive to the NH and Maine mountains a LOT, summer, fall and winter. In the summer, I go soft-roading, that is, off paved roads onto forest, logging or local roads, mostly unmaintained. I take these roads to get someplace. I can take getting banged around there. So I'm not looking for comments on handling, etc., just creature comfort.

I've heard nothing but good things about the outback seats. But I'm still smitten over the Forester. I just don't want to have a bad ride for the next 10 years.

Long trips = 100 miles +

What do you think?
Thanks!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Pass, Those are too big drawbacks that can't be overcome especially after a long day of skiing.

Lots of crossover options, wife has a Kia Sorrento and loves it ! Great in snow and has lots of power, quiet and comfortable ride and heated seats.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a well known Subaru hater and the Forester will likely be the next car I get for my wife. Only compact AWD SUV or Wagon left on the market you can get a manual transmission in. I'd rather put her in a 4 door Tacoma, but too big for her liking.

Guess owning a Subaru will be my just deserts for all the years I've crapped on them.

snoseek

I bought a little impreza a couple years ago. It drives nice, gets good mileage and is great in the snow but man it feels like a disposable car.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

yeggous

I looked at the Forester. It is too small for me. I liked the Outback, but at that price point there are better options. For an SUV, the new Santa Fe Sport is nice. Bigger than both Subarus and has been automated safety features than the Subaru EyeSight.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

WoodCore

I have the top trim level seats in my 2013 Outback and love them!

xwhaler

Kia is 7.3" I have yet to get stuck , I live off road . Trans has a lock button for extra traction.

What yr Sorento? My wife has a '12 Sorento EX v6. It's nice enough but when we replace it will likely be in a Mazda CX-5/9. Fit/finish on the Kias is not the best IMHO
I've never used the lock button. Work well?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
What yr Sorento? My wife has a '12 Sorento EX v6. It's nice enough but when we replace it will likely be in a Mazda CX-5/9. Fit/finish on the Kias is not the best IMHO
I've never used the lock button. Work well?

11 EX, Haven't had to use the lock button but tried it out and hit the gas pretty hard on some packed snow , was noticeable traction difference. The car was her choice after getting rid of the car from Hell Volvo XC90 . Worst car I've ever owned maintenance wise.

gmcunni

we have 2015 Subi outback, also have a 2015 wrangler. Wrangler gets worse gas mileage, more road noise and less comfortable seats. i prefer to drive the jeep.

yeggous

we have 2015 Subi outback, also have a 2015 wrangler. Wrangler gets worse gas mileage, more road noise and less comfortable seats. i prefer to drive the jeep.

Sure, because what self-respecting man prefers to drive a station wagon over a Jeep?

frapcap

My fiances father has a 2015 Outback. Its at the very top end of the model lineup, and I enjoy those seats quite a bit. The most time I've spent in it at once was 6 hours. Wasn't bad at all, and the seats were certainly better than my base model Imprezza (snoseek is right, they feel disposable).
My favorite thing is the adaptive cruise. You can use it to 'cheat' in bumper to bumper traffic. If you set the cruise to 30 it'll accelerate and brake for you in a non-alarming fashion. Big fan.

IMO, go for a high end trim and the seats will improve.

Edd

Sure, because what self-respecting man prefers to drive a station wagon over a Jeep?

Hand raised. A Jeep has nothing I need that I can't get from a Subaru.

Cannonball

We have 2015 Forrester. I find it very comfortable to drive and I haven't really noticed the road noise. But I'm not all that picky either, I've never owned a high end vehicle.

yeggous

We have 2015 Forrester. I find it very comfortable to drive and I haven't really noticed the road noise. But I'm not all that picky either, I've never owned a high end vehicle.

Define "high end"? One of the first things I noticed about my new truck is how much quieter it is.

We have several test cars at work. It is amazing how the European luxury cars compare. It's all about the little things. Road noise is a big part of that. Some of them even have massage seats in the front and back.

I really judge a car by its automated safety features. Subaru's EyeSight is probably the lowest cost ways to get such a package. For that reason I commend them for bring these features to the masses, despite the fact that they're going to be required in the very near future. The problem is that in order to make it so affordable they cut some serious corners. The fact that it relies solely on cameras means that it is much more limited and unreliable. Bang for your buck, the Hyundai system is the best value on the market today. It's barely more expensive than the Subaru system, and works much, much better.

hammer

If seat comfort is an issue then I'd say go with a Volvo...my S40 has the least comfortable seats of any model I driven (I've been in a few others as service loaners) and my car still does well on long trips. If ground clearance is an issue there's always an XC60 or one of the XC models, although you would have to go slightly used to get to a similar price point.

I know Volvos don't have a sterling reliability record, but my car is getting close to 105K and I've had very few real issues and those that I had were covered while the car was under warranty.

I still don't get all of the reliability claims on Subarus. My son has an 09 Impreza (mainly for the AWD) and I have been setting money aside for the inevitable head gasket replacement. They might be reliable in many areas but I still don't think they have fixed this.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I test drove one years ago but the first thought was as soon as I sat down was "These seats are terrible!" Never gave it another look.

jimk

I have a 2014 Outback purchased in summer 2013. My son has a 2015 Forester purchased in summer 2014. I like the length of my outback's cargo area and how easy the roof rack is to adapt to a ski rack, but for everything else I like my son's forester better. His forester was the first year of the latest version, but he got a model with few options. My outback is the last year of the prior version of that vehicle, I also got very few options. Both vehicles good in snow. I have no issues with the comfort of seats in either vehicle? Both fine in this respect although not plush, but I don't have much preference about this feature (all seats are better than hitch-hiking in ski boots?) and also have never owned a high end vehicle of any kind. Voted 'meh avg' in your poll, but didn't mean it as a condemnation.
The transmission smoothness and driver visibility out windows is much superior in the 2015 Forester than the 2014 Outback IMHO. Would highly recommend used 2015 Forester.

Adding: Problem with Subaru, at least where I live, buying late model used is expensive because they hold their value. I could buy new one with few options for less than same late model used one with more options. I like buying late model used cars too and best example was '97 Maxima I bought in '99 with 50k miles. I guess a Maxima counts as high end car these days? , but I didn't think the '97 model was, although probably my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. It stayed in the family 15 years and son was still driving it in 2014 when it needed costly repairs and he decided to buy his Forester.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks for all your comments guys.
High end, I'm just the opposite. I'm coming from an '06 Audi A6 with damn near every feature you can possibly imagine. That's why I'm selling it. At 190K miles, it's the repair a month club. And Audi repairs ain't cheap, even at the local garage. While it's AWD and handles great in the snow, it's got uber low clearance at 4.6" it's scary going soft-roading, which I can see my future journeys. The audi road handling is superb and the inside is uber quiet. I can get way past the foot lights, door handle lights, dimming dome light, auto moonroof which when it fails (and it will) costs thousands to repair, remote mirror retractor and alarms that seem to go off for every stupid reason possible. The calipers are electronic, one more expensive thing to replace. I do love the Xeon lights for penetrating the Maine nighttime (I can do that with an aftermarket if I really want to). And on it goes.

The car is way more than I need or want. Compare that to my daughter's Corolla, which I drove a bit last weekend, and I was perfectly happy with manual this, manual that, etc. My kids are gone, I mostly just transport myself, my skis and my backpack, and the occasional partner.
At first I wanted a Jeep, but my wife reminded me I'm gonna have to keep it for 200K miles or 10 years (house financial guideline). Cars are just utility for us, not an end.

My short list didn't contain a Kia or Sorento. Santa Fe is more than I want to spend and has a 3rd row seat I don't want. CX5 is on the short list. I am fixated by ground clearance, since there are places I want to go I don't dare try.

Only a few others on the short list. CRV, not enough ground clearance, Ford Escape reliability and mpg concerns. Nissan Rogue has a poor angle of approach (so does the CX5), no clever x-mode feature. Mitsubishi Outlander (have to get rid of those 18" tires and 3rd row seat). VW tiguan ditto the 18" tires, gets pricy fast).