• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ideal ski towns for the future factoring in all issues?

kbroderick

I track everything on my Slopes app as well. Just meant that your ski stats shouldn't be what defines your season fun-wise and feeling like you have to meet a certain amount of days/vert detracts from enjoyment.
In my experience, setting day goals and counting tends to increase, not detract from, my enjoyment—because as someone else noted, what it truly measures is your commitment to getting out of the house and onto the hill. The years that I've set day-count goals and made a real effort to get out more have resulted in a lot of days where the skiing was better (often substantially better) than I expected, and I was glad for the extra nudge to get out.

The year that I set a goal of 100 days by Easter (which was when lifts stopped turning at my home mountain), I ended up skiing a bunch in a row (I think 76 days) and got to 142 on the season. Yes, a lot of those were low-run-count days, but there were a lot of days that the streak-counting got me out the door and that was what I needed to get some decent skiing in.

I recall exactly one day that year where I was unhappy about getting out (even after I got outside); it was windy, about 35 degrees, and pouring rain.

abc

and pouring rain.
I actually dig skiing in the rain!

But, on a day like today (or tomorrow), when it's almost a skating ring, or dust on crust... those are PERFECT days for skate skiing! So, why waste it on the mountain???

Same goes to Thanksgiving... calm, windless days with plenty of sunshine. Chilly alright but again PERFECT in a kayak! I couldn't care less if Vail blow snow on the Hunter or not.

So, it's not about the iffy days on the mountain. It's about wasting fantastic days to enjoy doing something else you like, just to say you've skied! Well, unless you don't enjoy anything else. In that case, I understand. 🤣

abc

The point is when you are older, you don't get to ski everyday that you would like to because shit happens to your body that you can't control so to speak (aka age related problems). You can say you are a fair weather skier, but most old guys only get to ski on the days their body says its fair, and not mother nature.
There's a lot of truth in that.

But that's also more of a perspective from not having the freedom to ski most days, so the "skiable days" feels precious. It's the days one is not working, not running around catching up on chores. Skiing is only possible when those other obligation allows.

For retirees, those other obligations can be shifted around skiing. So yes, there're days when mother nature allows but the body doesn't. Or vice versa. But then, when both allows, one doesn't have to worry as much about "work"! OK, until the body puts more restriction than working does, that is.

The main advantage of retiring is being able to live in proximity of snow. Hence makes it possible to ski a couple hours when both snow condition and body condition are at their best.

Last edited:

Teleskier

Beautiful pics Jimk. I’m impressed with older telemark skiers. I feel pain in my knees just watching them! It’s like doing a squat thrust for every turn, that’s tough.
Others may disagree, but I've always felt tele keeps you humble, respectful of the terrain, balanced, and young. No surprise about the MRG mention in this regard, it being the local tele mecca.

skef

(Bump)

How about Burlington, VT as a base of operations? Just under an hour to Smuggs and Stowe, 1.5 hours to Jay… With a non-skiing, urban-oriented wife, I am giving this some serious consideration.

Edd

Burlington is a nice spot for sure for someone with non skiing spouse.

I’d like to be a bit closer to a mountain for storm/powder days though.
Per Google Maps, 32 minutes to Bolton, which is one of my new favorites. Under an hour to Smuggs and Stowe. If $ wasn’t a factor, Burlington would be amazing.

KustyTheKlown

after this recent jaunt to the spokane-coeur d'alene area and skiing at 49N, schweitzer, and silver, its hard for me to not throw spokane into this conversation. under 1 hour from mt spokane, under 90 min to 49N and silver, under 2 hours from schweitzer, many more options if you have a 4-5 hour drive radius. 100th largest city in the us with a booming labor market, which sprawls over the idaho border to CDA, so plenty of space to grow and build. being in washington equals legal cannabis and pretty stable and permanent blue state, with much more political diversity in the spokane region vs seattle. international airport.

unfortunately, as with everywhere, the word is out already. this article basically says nyc/la people displace austin/denver people, who displace spokane people.

NYDB

closer but shittier skiing
Plus 1/2 the snowfall, warmer, and closer to population centers.

I don't think any mountain is closer to Brattleboro than BV is to Burlington anyway.

My point was if you are living someplace primarily for the skiing, I think 10 miles or so is my comfort limit so that powder and storm days don't become a slog.

You are looking at a 3 hour round trip on a storm / powder day to stowe or smuggs from Burlington. Do able but not something I would be looking forward to doing that often in retirement.

Last edited:

NYDB

after this recent jaunt to the spokane-coeur d'alene area and skiing at 49N, schweitzer, and silver, its hard for me to not throw spokane into this conversation. under 1 hour from mt spokane, under 90 min to 49N and silver, under 2 hours from schweitzer, many more options if you have a 4-5 hour drive radius. 100th largest city in the us with a booming labor market, which sprawls over the idaho border to CDA, so plenty of space to grow and build. being in washington equals legal cannabis and pretty stable and permanent blue state, with much more political diversity in the spokane region vs seattle. international airport.

unfortunately, as with everywhere, the word is out already. this article basically says nyc/la people displace austin/denver people, who displace spokane people.

How is sandpoint? did you spend much time in that area?

raisingarizona

Plus 1/2 the snowfall, warmer, and closer to population centers.

I don't think any mountain is closer to Brattleboro than BV is to Burlington anyway.

My point was if you are living someplace primarily for the skiing, I think 10 miles or so is my comfort limit so that powder and storm days don't become a slog.

You are looking at a 3 hour round trip on a storm / powder day to stowe or smuggs from Burlington. Do able but not something I would be looking forward to doing that often in retirement.
I don’t look forward to powder days here anymore. Things were already getting fucky in 2019 with the powder chasers, fat skis and hype train. Covid was the final nail in the coffin, powder days are no longer attractive.

All I want now is a midweek “packed powder day” with warm temps and sunshine.

Here today after 26 inches since Friday. That’s the singles line running back up the ski trail.

18C45BEA-1B1B-4C84-B931-9ACCBC0CE71D.jpeg

KustyTheKlown

How is sandpoint? did you spend much time in that area?

i had a hotel in sandpoint for 5 nights and it was my base for most days at schweitzer. i also stayed in coeur d'alene, spokane, and wenatchee (which is not close to spokane and is near mission ridge)

sandpoint is a fine enough little town and great place to visit but too small and sleepy for me to ever consider living. it has a tiny downtown with a few restaurants, breweries, and touristy shops, then a little 'industrial area' with a brewery and coffee roaster, a residential area, and a big box commercial area with supermarket walmart etc. it doesn't really feel like a 'ski town' and i have a feeling it comes more alive in the summer and that the lake gets huge recreational tourism.

coeur d'alene is more of like a real place that you could live. you can commute to spokane in about 30 min. it has a cute downtown that is kind of bustling and has commercial activity on more than just one street. beautiful lakefront. quick access to schweitzer in one direction and silver and lookout pass the other direction.

deadheadskier

Staff member
i had a hotel in sandpoint for 5 nights and it was my base for most days at schweitzer. i also stayed in coeur d'alene, spokane, and wenatchee (which is not close to spokane and is near mission ridge)

sandpoint is a fine enough little town and great place to visit but too small and sleepy for me to ever consider living. it has a tiny downtown with a few restaurants, breweries, and touristy shops, then a little 'industrial area' with a brewery and coffee roaster, a residential area, and a big box commercial area with supermarket walmart etc. it doesn't really feel like a 'ski town' and i have a feeling it comes more alive in the summer and that the lake gets huge recreational tourism.

coeur d'alene is more of like a real place that you could live. you can commute to spokane in about 30 min. it has a cute downtown that is kind of bustling and has commercial activity on more than just one street. beautiful lakefront. quick access to schweitzer in one direction and silver and lookout pass the other direction.

The lakes in that area are really what has me thinking that area is better than Denver or SLC for year round living. The relatively low elevation makes those lakes warm enough for boating and swimming compared to say Tahoe if you are into those activities. As beautiful as Tahoe is, I'm not into freezing my balls off in frigid water.

We'll likely never end up leaving New England as we have such strong ties to the area and there's much I love about this location. But, if we decided we wanted a change, Spokane / CDA would be at the top of my list for western destinations.

raisingarizona

The lakes in that area are really what has me thinking that area is better than Denver or SLC for year round living. The relatively low elevation makes those lakes warm enough for boating and swimming compared to say Tahoe if you are into those activities. As beautiful as Tahoe is, I'm not into freezing my balls off in frigid water.

We'll likely never end up leaving New England as we have such strong ties to the area and there's much I love about this location. But, if we decided we wanted a change, Spokane / CDA would be at the top of my list for western destinations.
Tahoe is fucked on the weekends and holidays. Capital F U C K E D, fucked.

Last edited: