• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If 2015-2016 was the average Northeast winter, would you still live here?

deadheadskier

Staff member
For me the answer is yes I would, but only because of extended family due to being married.

However if I was single without child and winters like this were the norm? I'd absolutely move somewhere with more consistent skiing conditions; likely Colorado like Dlague is heading for.

ERJ-145CA

I would because my wife wouldn't want to live in Colorado, Utah or California. The only other place she'd want to live besides the Northeast is Florida and I definitely don't want to live there.

BenedictGomez

This is a real question to me rather than a hypothetical, as I'll probably need to leave NJ in a few years, but I have no idea where I'll go. Most likely I'll just hop over the river to PA, but I am keeping my options open. I've lived in NJ/FL/VT/NY, so I'm not a stranger to change, but I honestly dont know where to go.... ME is too remote for me, I wouldnt live in VT again. NH I just dont know about, 10 years ago sure, but it's really changing fast. Le sigh.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My wife's family is well rooted in the NH sea coast area, so that's why we will remain here. I want our son to grow up with those relatives very active in his life.

My folks retired to Florida 15 years ago, lots of other family have moved off too. So, yeah if I was single I'd be out of here if this was the norm.

Our typical winters and I would stick around even knowing how much better the mountains are out west. Skiing is usually pretty good, but it's more the other seasons that I prefer NE over elsewhere. The lakes, ocean, not too hot summers, great Autumn; all great. The one summer I lived in Colorado, I really missed swimming. The lakes and rivers out there are insanely cold.

Savemeasammy

For skiing, I would love to live out west. However, my wife's parents still live in the area, so it's highly doubtful we would go anywhere...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skibumski

Eh, I was planning on having to move to Canada after Trump is elected anyway.

gmcunni

we'll be out of here as soon as we can, regardless how much snow falls next winter or winters after that. family is the link but as the link weakens we'll move.

i work from home for a large company. i can work from anywhere as long as i'm near a major airport for travel. this makes any potential move extremely easy.

Last edited:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I couldn't move now with business and kids all rooted in NY. Although possibly in ten years or so. Skiing wise if NE was going to always be this bad I would sell the condo and put that money into going out west for chunks at a time. If I was younger and single I would move to a ski town out west and root myself in that town.

SkiingInABlueDream

Interesting question. If 15-16 became average for winter going forward I'd probably have to stay here due to my marriage, and parents getting on in years. I'd have to find ways to go west a lot more. If 15-16 had already been a historical average for decades, then everything would be different. There wouldn't be a regional ski industry, at least not to the current extent. And I probably wouldn't be a skier in the first place. <sadface>

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

As others have said if single I'd be outta here. My wife's parents are only here 5 1/2 months and spend the rest of the time in FLA. Both of my parents have passed away and I am not real close with my siblings. See them maybe twice a year. when my kids get through high school I maybe out of here but still have 5 1/2 years before that happens.

4aprice

This is a real question to me rather than a hypothetical, as I'll probably need to leave NJ in a few years, but I have no idea where I'll go. Most likely I'll just hop over the river to PA, but I am keeping my options open. I've lived in NJ/FL/VT/NY, so I'm not a stranger to change, but I honestly dont know where to go.... ME is too remote for me, I wouldnt live in VT again. NH I just dont know about, 10 years ago sure, but it's really changing fast. Le sigh.

We are already laying the ground work to get out of NJ. This particular winter has little to do with our decision, it was made long ago. Actually the wife told me she only wanted to ski out west a while ago and I was the one who came around to it slower. We currently still have some obligations here and one issue we don't know about is where the girl will settle. NJ is becoming impossible to stay in. I truly hear and read things that just have me shaking my head. I'd love to get away sit back and watch the place implode.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

MEtoVTSkier

If this was the average winter. The majority of the Northeast ski industry probably wouldn't exist. No matter what the weather decides to do in the future, in a couple more years, I'm heading to Florida for the winters, and just summer in the Northeast. There is always vehicles, trains, and airplanes to get to the snow and snowshoe, ski e.c.t if you want to take a few weeks and go do it.

VTKilarney

I've had an opportunity to live out west. I turned it down for a variety of reasons. One reason is that New England has so much variety within a three hour drive.

If I could do it all over again, I'd settle in the Concord, NH area. I'm happy where I am, but it would be nice to be closer to family, especially as they age.

BenedictGomez

NJ is becoming impossible to stay in. I truly hear and read things that just have me shaking my head. I'd love to get away sit back and watch the place implode.

I still love NJ and wish it no harm, but it's inevitable now. Radical leftists have destroyed the place, and it's becoming financial suicide for working people to stay here. You really see the absolute long-term, economic impairment to your family assuming you have any skills with a spreadsheet. If you quit your job and go on the government doll, however, I imagine it's still great. Each week the "FOR SALE" signs go up as people "flee" to America, and I lose more and more friends to North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia with each passing year. Genuinely heart breaking for those of us born and bred.

yeggous

I'd probably still stay in New England. The economy and salary vs cost of living is much better here than anywhere else with better skiing. The only possible exception is Denver.

I don't know what is going on in Jersey. I've seen a number of people fleeing New York and New Jersey to take jobs in the Boston area. They all tell me salaries are higher and cost of living is lower here.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

jrmagic

I don't think I will ever move from the northeast regardless of winter conditions. I have lots of family and friends around. While I love to ski, I also love being on and around the ocean. Best case scenario if money wasn't a concern would be a condo in CO or UT for skiing, another on the water in FL for golf/fishing and an apartment in Manhattan.

bdfreetuna

I would plan ahead and make sure I spend time out west or Canada. We have a time share and reciprocity with places all over, every major ski town usually lots of options for like $19 / night, plus like 2 weeks of vacation we can split up any way we want per year.

Not that I like to catch a plane to go skiing very often but I could adapt and have some fun in new places.

If I do move it's probably to NH as it's a somewhat more free state than MA and a bit closer to mountains and ocean. But I'm also tied in to the awful town of Northampton MA.

I would also adapt to a shorter season and make sure to ski more while I could.