• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

IKON Class Action Lawsuit Credits

boston_e

Check your IKON accounts. If you had a pass in 19/20 you may have some credits depending on how many days you skied.

Last edited:

drjeff

My family averaged $150 a piece... We hadn't used our IKON's much that season as the trip we planned to use them on was scheduled for after COVID shut things down

boston_e

As the joke goes, “don’t spend it all at one place.” Oh, wait…..

😆
$10 is funny.
From my small sample, it seems like anyone who used their IKON more than just a couple of times is getting $10. I think we used ours 8 days.

I was not expecting anything so I'm not complaining, but it is funny. They will probably just raise the price of the IKON next year by an extra $10 to make up for it. :rolleyes::D:LOL:

BodeMiller1

What did the lawyers make?

They probably aren't sure yet. :unsure::coffee:
  • A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit against Alterra Mountain Company, Alterra Mountain Company U.S. Inc., and Ikon Pass Inc. (together “Alterra” or “Defendants”) seeking money back for 2019-2020 Ikon Passes and Ikon Base Passes (“2019/20 Ikon Passes”) because of ski resort closures in March 2020 due to COVID-19.
  • If you are included in the Settlement, you may qualify for a Pass Credit toward the purchase of a 2023/24 or 2024/25 Ikon Pass product, or a Lift Product Voucher toward the purchase and use on or before July 31, 2025 of one single-day lift ticket at any single Alterra-owned or operated resort (“Alterra Resort”).

edit: Not sure why this wasn't thrown out as "an act of god" thing. weird

thetrailboss

Staff member
So the press release was funny because it had a paragraph (that HAD to be included) naming said law firm.

And IIRC the press release stated that the class received $17 mill, the law firm got its fees paid by Alterra to the tune of $2 mill or so.

Zermatt

$10 is funny.
From my small sample, it seems like anyone who used their IKON more than just a couple of times is getting $10. I think we used ours 8 days.

I was not expecting anything so I'm not complaining, but it is funny. They will probably just raise the price of the IKON next year by an extra $10 to make up for it. :rolleyes::D:LOL:

Seriously, was there anything in the settlement that protected pass holders from Ikon just reducing the renewal discount by $10 or increasing next year's prices by $10. I assume pass prices are going up.

This case wasn't tossed because Epic actually did give credits due to the early closures so that set a precedent. But, as I remember the renewal discount for 20/21 was larger than other years and I thought that was their covid makeup.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Some interesting information in both articles. Namely that we now know that in 2019-2020 there were about 500,000 IKON passholders. Do the math on that—A LOT of money. It goes along with what I’ve said about Alterra—it’s all about the $$$$ and keeping as much of that $$$$. Giving someone a $10 credit after 2 years of litigation vs. Vail’s 20-80% is a really stark difference. It just shows that Alterra is all about $$$$ perhaps more so than Vail.

cdskier

Some interesting information in both articles. Namely that we now know that in 2019-2020 there were about 500,000 IKON passholders. Do the math on that—A LOT of money. It goes along with what I’ve said about Alterra—it’s all about the $$$$ and keeping as much of that $$$$. Giving someone a $10 credit after 2 years of litigation vs. Vail’s 20-80% is a really stark difference. It just shows that Alterra is all about $$$$ perhaps more so than Vail.

That "20-80%" from Vail is a lot of PR fluff. How many people honestly would have used their pass 0 times as of mid-March that year when everything shutdown? I doubt it was many... Those are the people that would have qualified for the 80% credit. Personally I don't think anyone should have been owed anything in this particular scenario. And as someone else mentioned, Alterra had increased the Ikon renewal discount for the following season. Their only mistake was they didn't market it as a "credit" for the early closure like Vail did. Both companies in the end did the same thing, just marketed it different ways.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That "20-80%" from Vail is a lot of PR fluff. How many people honestly would have used their pass 0 times as of mid-March that year when everything shutdown? I doubt it was many... Those are the people that would have qualified for the 80% credit. Personally I don't think anyone should have been owed anything in this particular scenario. And as someone else mentioned, Alterra had increased the Ikon renewal discount for the following season. Their only mistake was they didn't market it as a "credit" for the early closure like Vail did. Both companies in the end did the same thing, just marketed it different ways.
Interesting observation.