• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

2planks2coasts

Hmmm? Twist
Yeah... Reading the FB announcement, some folks think it's because Platty has a run named Twist. I'm rather more cynical and think it's more likely that it's a group of four resorts and the twist is you only get two days between all of them.

machski

Yeah... Reading the FB announcement, some folks think it's because Platty has a run named Twist. I'm rather more cynical and think it's more likely that it's a group of four resorts and the twist is you only get two days between all of them.
IDK, if Indy starts doing this that could be the beginning of the end for that pass. If it starts becoming a spider web of limitations/exceptions and carve outs, the ease and value drop as will use/acceptance by the consumer. Guess we have to wait and see.

ThatGuy

That would be amazing.
Can’t really see Ski3 joining Indy unless it was two days combined at all resorts or something.
Platty would be a great addition Catskills need an Indy spot.
Smuggs and MRG would be great but Indy already has two resorts in NoVT so they might not be looking to add more.

KustyTheKlown

i dont think MRG wants to participate. a few years ago i had companion 3 free tix to MRG bc i had a silverton season pass, and when i redeemed them they said they didn't like the program. had no upside for them. as a place that is serious about regulating capacity, is skier-owned, and basically hits capacity primo weekends, they don't need and prob don't want indy pass. indy pass also brings a very low quality of skier to some of these mountains they arent ready to ski. no, jay and saddleback are nothing like pats peak, family of 4 with no experience.

2planks2coasts

IDK, if Indy starts doing this that could be the beginning of the end for that pass. If it starts becoming a spider web of limitations/exceptions and carve outs, the ease and value drop as will use/acceptance by the consumer. Guess we have to wait and see.
Ikon has been doing this for quite a while. Ex: 5/ 7 days total across Banff, Lake Louise and Norquay. Alta now requires the Ikon+ pass, etc, etc. Harder to deal with if you only have two days rather than 5 or 7, but it seems the way of the future for many passes.

ETA: I have ZERO knowledge that the mentioned "twist" is anything but good, just being cynical. I love the Indy and am frankly happy whenever a new resort is added. Hoping for something in Tahoe or Europe. Platty would be great in the Cats.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
i dont think MRG wants to participate. a few years ago i had companion 3 free tix to MRG bc i had a silverton season pass, and when i redeemed them they said they didn't like the program. had no upside for them. as a place that is serious about regulating capacity, is skier-owned, and basically hits capacity primo weekends, they don't need and prob don't want indy pass. indy pass also brings a very low quality of skier to some of these mountains they arent ready to ski. no, jay and saddleback are nothing like pats peak, family of 4 with no experience.

When I was back East MRG was one of the most expensive industry tickets I was aware of (understandably so). Totally worth it! But funny thinking about it in terms of lifts.... paying a lot to ride a few old fixed grip lifts then at some of the mega resorts you'd pay half as much to ride a bunch of high speed modern lifts.

zyk

Snow ridge is part of Indy but also lists nys ski 3 and other area perks separately. Plattekill and Jay and others. No details yet it seems but interesting.

KustyTheKlown

Ikon has been doing this for quite a while. Ex: 5/ 7 days total across Banff, Lake Louise and Norquay. Alta now requires the Ikon+ pass, etc, etc. Harder to deal with if you only have two days rather than 5 or 7, but it seems the way of the future for many passes.

ETA: I have ZERO knowledge that the mentioned "twist" is anything but good, just being cynical. I love the Indy and am frankly happy whenever a new resort is added. Hoping for something in Tahoe or Europe. Platty would be great in the Cats.

based on the indy passholders facebook group, the average indy pass holder base doesn't have the brain cells to comprehend any slightly complicated pass structure.. truly a wild level of idiocy on display all day every day.

Last edited:

machski

Agreed and there are many growing frustrations with the Ikon Pass for that reason. Indy just smoothed out the Black Tiers to make them more manageable and uniform. I doubt they want to go throw another limitation type varietal out there.

amf

I believe WhiteGrass XC area in WV is getting on the Indy next season. If you are willing to earn your turns, they have just about the best snow east of the Mississippi, on some of the most stunning terrain from steeps to cruising glades with 1000' of vertical. The only problem is the ephemeral nature of their snow - 3' of fresh powder can turn to a foot of mush in a matter of days.

2planks2coasts

It's an "allied" program. Bunch of NE resorts where passholders get discounted tix. Gets a big yawn at least from me. The 50% midweek / 25% weekend and holiday discounts really aren't that special.

machski

It's an "allied" program. Bunch of NE resorts where passholders get discounted tix. Gets a big yawn at least from me. The 50% midweek / 25% weekend and holiday discounts really aren't that special.
Especially if that 25% is off the full rack rate and not a dynamic pricing model price if they have that (Burke might, not sure on the rest). Though when we go to Jay, we will probably use at least one 50% midweek at Burke. That is where I finally got my wife to bite into the skiing bug while she went to LSC. Nice to go back at a decent discount. Also, I would think Burke is the most likely add to full Indy member, especially when Jay is sold and if they pull out then.

Zand

I could see myself maybe doing Burke for one day. Otherwise I feel like the rest of the places they added to the 1/2 off program are already cheaper local hills as it is.

2planks2coasts

Burke already gives a pretty substantial discount to residents of VT and some NH counties. Not quite 50% but more than 25%.

urungus

The discount is 50% on “non-peak” weekends, pretty good bonus perk IMO

KustyTheKlown

yea 50% off early/late season burke is kinda nice. it makes it reasonable to stay in burke/lyndon and pair a jay and burke weekend with pretty low costs. prevents blowing your indy jay load in one weekend.

i have been saying forever that i must try Middlebury when the snow is good at low elevation. i continue to say this.

urungus

So now a $225 whaleback season pass will allow you to purchase Indy “Add On“ pass, saving $90 over regular Indy Pass. Plus IIRC, Whaleback season pass traditionally has had pretty generous benefits with other partner resorts, though they haven’t posted details for next year yet.