• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

PAabe

Gore is a pretty reasonably drive from the flatlands if you can find a place to stay, at least, it is better than anywhere closer in my opinion. If ORDA was on the pass that could seal the deal for a lot of people from points south and west.

machski

weird take to not want to ski gore and whiteface if you had the access for free. they are both great big (for the east) mountains. gore has more marked glades than anyone else i can think of, and whiteface on the right day is incredible. gore is a bit in the middle of nowhere, but whiteface is adjacent to lake placid which is perhaps the best winter town in the northeast. its easy and inexpensive to base out of placid and ski both places. slopeside lodging, lol, who are you scrooge mcduck? skiing in your god damn money vault

View attachment 51647
I know you make crazy hour, crazy long drives. I did years ago but had enough of that now. Like I said, from Boston side just too many quality options a shorter drive. I have skied Whiteface, nice but slides weren't open. Timing those is like timing the backside of Sugarloaf, it's a lot of luck if it lines up with my available days. I would go back to Whiteface for those. Gore, just too far for what it has. And yes, owning slopeside has made me lazy (don't get me wrong, we aren't Scrooge McDuck. We own an '80 era SR studio. Got it for what many pay for an SUV now.)

cdskier

Gore is vastly under-rated and overlooked by many people. It is really a great mountain. That said I could see the ORDA resorts not making much difference for Boston skiers, but it would make a huge difference for NY/NJ/PA skiers. Right now the Boston market has a lot more closer and better choices on Indy than the NYC market does. ORDA would balance that out and would be a huge win for Indy to get more people from the NY/NJ/PA market.

Tonyr

Great, I drive 4 or 5 hours, can I stay slopeside? No, I have to drive back and forth to lodging? No thanks, especially with the quality options so much closer to Boston.

There is lodging very close to both Gore and Whiteface mountains nothing ski on ski off but lodging within a few minutes from each mountain. Also, Lake Placid is 20 minutes from Whiteface and probably the coolest ski town in the Northeast.

Zand

I can confidently say that Gore and Whiteface are worth a trip from MA, even if theyre a couple hours further than some of the closer good stuff. Gore you can hit on the way up or back. And then why would you want to stay slopeside at Whiteface when you can stay in Lake F*cking Placid? Truly one of the coolest towns in America and you're missing out if you haven't been.

zyk

If they added Whiteface, Gore, and Bellayre as an east coast skier you'd almost have to buy this pass.
I'd buy immediately. Gore is great but can't swing an Orda pass at $650 and the epic midweek.

JimG.

Staff member
As an ORDA SKI3 season passholder the last thing I want to see is Indypass getting involved.

Nothing to see here in NY.

zyk

As an ORDA SKI3 season passholder the last thing I want to see is Indypass getting involved.

Nothing to see here in NY.
If Orda would offer a midweek ski3 I'd be on it. Can't ski weekends so I just can't justify the added expense. Would prefer that to the epic midweek. Gore is a favorite of mine.

JimG.

Staff member
If Orda would offer a midweek ski3 I'd be on it. Can't ski weekends so I just can't justify the added expense. Would prefer that to the epic midweek. Gore is a favorite of mine.
Well I hear you there. I ski mostly midweek and only at Plattekill on weekends. Not sure why they don't offer a midweek pass but Whiteface, Gore and Belleayre weekdays only still seems like a great deal for $759 to me.

But I agree that the added Epic midweek expense makes it pricey overall.

rebel1916

Great, I drive 4 or 5 hours, can I stay slopeside? No, I have to drive back and forth to lodging? No thanks, especially with the quality options so much closer to Boston.
LOL, Indy Pass. Guessing you were real excited about Waterville and are hoping they sign Stratton or Okemo next.

dblskifanatic

How did you like Powderhorn and Sunlight? I think Sunlight is getting a new lift for some steep stuff? We've talked about going out to grand jct. for a multisport trip for a few years now, stopping at those 2 and Loveland.

We love Powderhorn! It has a great vibe and pretty cool terrain. Sunlight is fun the lifts are very slow so powder lasts for days. We hit it two days after a storm and found powder stashes all over the place. A lot of the people that ski there seem to stick to the groomers. Also after a storm they groom very little. The place had a great vibe as well and with Glenwood Springs near by the Hot Springs there were in play and felt good.

They need a new lift so that is good.

p_levert

I have been to Sunlight (long time ago) and Powderhorn is on my bucket list. Glenwood Springs is a good base to hit Sunlight (30 min), Powderhorn (1:15) and the Aspens (45 min or so). Of course, you might have to hustle to get a parking space for Ajax and AH.

machski

LOL, Indy Pass. Guessing you were real excited about Waterville and are hoping they sign Stratton or Okemo next.
No, I liked Jay and Cannon, Saddleback add made it exciting. But those alone at the new pricepoint and blackouts don't make it worth steering into Indy with the other two passes (NEP Silver and Epic Local) next season. We will hit Cannon a couple days for sure, but probably NH resident days. Would like to get to Saddleback but probably just a day and Jay I only hit conditions based, so don't want to "lock in" there. Probably hit Magic for a day when we hit Okemo with Epic and visit Fam just outside of Springfield too.
Waterville would only interest me AFTER the new 6 is in, just to check out a new lift from a newer manufacturer in North America. Spent enough time there in the Booth Creek Threedom pass days. Sure Green is new, but that is a half day tops of interest.

thebigo

No, I liked Jay and Cannon, Saddleback add made it exciting. But those alone at the new pricepoint and blackouts don't make it worth steering into Indy with the other two passes (NEP Silver and Epic Local) next season. We will hit Cannon a couple days for sure, but probably NH resident days. Would like to get to Saddleback but probably just a day and Jay I only hit conditions based, so don't want to "lock in" there. Probably hit Magic for a day when we hit Okemo with Epic and visit Fam just outside of Springfield too.
Waterville would only interest me AFTER the new 6 is in, just to check out a new lift from a newer manufacturer in North America. Spent enough time there in the Booth Creek Threedom pass days. Sure Green is new, but that is a half day tops of interest.

Has cannon confirmed the $29 nh resident days are back next year?

PAabe

I was at sunlight a long time ago. I did in fact enjoy the antique lifts, they were kind of cool although kind of slow. But why are you in a hurry, you're at Sunlight :)

Besides that I don't remember much other than Ute being a pretty cool beginner trail

snoseek

Powderhorn is fantastic tree skiing and cool pillow fields when theres fresh. It tracks out wicked slow and overall skis great. I had a pass there a couple years back to take long weekends visiting a good friend in town but always seem to find myself there over the years on some big days. its got just enough Vert and acres to keep me satisfied. I love little areas like this east or west.