• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

Killingtime

waterville saturday everything was locked up tight, but fully open. i was surprised they let me ski the bumps and trees. it started dumping around 3 pm. the us national mogul freestyle championships were there and watching that was a ton of fun. i'd go back to WV on a corn day or a pow day
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was soft snow everywhere. I watched the freestyle championships also. Great vibe and fun mountain. Glad they renewed on the Indy for next year.

ceo

At Saddleback this past weekend it seemed like almost everyone there was on the Indy Pass. The desk clerk at the Rangeley Saddleback Inn (nice place and reasonably inexpensive) said most of the people staying there to ski were on the pass; she knew this because they offer a 30% discount on lift tickets for guests. (Snowmobilers are their other big winter constituency, when I booked they asked if I was bringing a trailer.)
It's clearly a huge driver of visits for them, and I was wondering briefly why Smuggs and MRG aren't on the pass. Probably because they don't think they need the extra visits, particularly with their limited uphill capacities.

Killingtime

At Saddleback this past weekend it seemed like almost everyone there was on the Indy Pass. The desk clerk at the Rangeley Saddleback Inn (nice place and reasonably inexpensive) said most of the people staying there to ski were on the pass; she knew this because they offer a 30% discount on lift tickets for guests. (Snowmobilers are their other big winter constituency, when I booked they asked if I was bringing a trailer.)
It's clearly a huge driver of visits for them, and I was wondering briefly why Smuggs and MRG aren't on the pass. Probably because they don't think they need the extra visits, particularly with their limited uphill capacities.
Yeah I was wondering the same about Plattekill. I don't think I've waited more than a minute at at lift line, ever. They could easily handle more skiers, but maybe afraid of pissing off their loyal customer base? Anyway, I've renewed my Indy for 23/24 and maybe we get lucky with some new additions.

Granite1

Also interested in any general thoughts on Waterville / Cannon comparison having never been to either
Waterville is a kind and gentle ski area with a lot of condos, a village and restaurants and caters to the Boston crowd. Cannon is a skiers mountain, state owned and operated with no condos or village (except a small one over on the Mittersill side). Cannon has bite to it and is way more challenging than Waterville. The two are complete opposites. You could stay in Lincoln and ski both, as well as Loon and Bretton Woods.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Waterville is a kind and gentle ski area with a lot of condos, a village and restaurants and caters to the Boston crowd. Cannon is a skiers mountain, state owned and operated with no condos or village (except a small one over on the Mittersill side). Cannon has bite to it and is way more challenging than Waterville. The two are complete opposites. You could stay in Lincoln and ski both, as well as Loon and Bretton Woods.
Thanks - will stay in Lincoln for 3 nights (or 4 if forecast for Sat clears up) - based on that I will reserve 2 days at Cannon and plan on only one at Waterville (and may road trip up to Jay Peak from that base to use the day we have left there if we have wind up there for 4 nights).

Sounds like Cannon is to Waterville roughly as Wildcat is to Attitash.

RH29

Even better: Cannon is to Waterville as Wildcat is to Cranmore.
Cannon and Waterville have comparable vertical, Wildcat vs. Cranmore is an 800+ foot difference.

Speaking of Waterville, it was great on Sunday. A couple inches of new snow (more in the trees) and temps in the upper 30s made for great spring conditions. Had some of my most enjoyable runs of the season Sunday morning.

pinion

Cannon and Waterville have comparable vertical, Wildcat vs. Cranmore is an 800+ foot difference.
Right. But from a trail layout and difficulty perspective Waterville aligns closer with Cranmore than it does Attitash. That’s what I meant.

RH29

Right. But from a trail layout and difficulty perspective Waterville aligns closer with Cranmore than it does Attitash. That’s what I meant.
Eh. Waterville has a lot more variation, some legitimate steeps, and much longer cruisers. They're very different mountains, although the general terrain level looks to be about the same.

Wildcat and Cannon are really in a league of their own in New Hampshire, at least terrainwise. After that, Attitash/Waterville/Loon/Bretton Woods are similar - relatively large, family-oriented mountains with lots of intermediate terrain. After that, Sunapee/Ragged/Cranmore.

pinion

Listen, all I was trying to convey is that Attitash is a tougher and weirder mountain than Waterville, so @Ski2LiveLive2Ski's analogy I felt wasn't quite right. Throw in whatever you want as a better option than Cranmore.

Cannon is to Waterville as Wildcat is to ______________

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Thanks for all the input

Settled on this plan - assuming forecast of Sat being a washout does not change.

Drive up Sat to Lincoln, check in for 3 nts.
Reserve Cannon for Sun

Sun - Cannon
Mon - Jay
Tue - Waterville, then drive back to NJ

Leave open the option of subbing in a 2nd day at Cannon for either Jay or Waterville assiming Cannon hasn't sold out for those weekdays.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Sunday could be a frozen mess at Cannon with it raining Saturday and 22 over night at the base and a high of only 31 on Sunday
Good point, but I wonder if you think Waterville or Jay would fair notably better. Pretty much locked in to these as my days to ski with kids. Had hoped for Sat too, but can't see that happening now.

Maybe Waterville would at least have better grooming and more likely to recover? Or at least spend the less great day at the less great place?
Or maybe Jay will get a bit less liquid in their precip?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I guess one work around could be to stay further south for Sun (do B.East where high is 43) and then drive up to Lincoln to hit the NH places Mon and Tue.

Keep the Jay day in reserve for later in the Spring

snoseek

I finally made the switch to an Indy addon (cannon) for next year. Cannon full pass plus indy was a grand total of 520. Lots of areas ive not skied in years that I look forward to revisiting

snoseek

Yeah...the NH resident rates for Cannon passes are pretty sweet. Add the Indy mountains in the area and the deal is amazing.
The vet passes ate even better. Even out of state is a good deal if you're a vet.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Current plan

Sat PM Catamount
Sun PM BEast
Mon/Tue @ Cannon & Waterville order TBD

May be my last Indy trip though some chance I will use my 2nd days at Jay and Bolton the following weekend.

Doing Epic passes only next year thanks to them introducing new Teen rate on Epic Local that works for my twins.