• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Injury Roster 2012 / 2013 Ski Season

Wow, there are some serious injuries this season. I hope everyone is recovering smoothly :-/

I had a minor concussion earlier this year from falling over a whale on Profile at Cannon, and then some stitches this past weekend. The first finally made me realize the importance of a helmet, and the second that it was time for gear that had been made sometime in the last decade. Looking over this list I realize that I could have easily been seriously hurt.

Warp Daddy

I had a bitch of fall thursday . We dove over a headwall that was groomed at the top and at the bottom of the headwall BUT not over the lip and on the wall itself .Usually the whole damn thing is groomed so we had no reason to suspect what we found over the lip

to cut to the chase both me and my buddy an ex Dartmouth racer hit the dense heavy crap just over the blind entry to the headwall at warp speed , . I tried to make several jumpturns to correct , but then made a huge mistake and let em run on the steepest portion .

Well it was fugly , hit that crap , lost it , got airborne at speed hit the back of my head so hard on. The damn white ice underneath it both wrenched my neck , back and CRACKED my Giro Streif helmet albeit a small crack and broke the goggle clip , My friend really wrenched his shoulder . WE SKIED ANOTHER 4 hrs , luckily i had no symptoms of concussion and still am fine

BUT my freaking neck and back are pretty sore yet ,so no skiing today or this weekend . Bought a new Briko helmet yesterday too as once a helmet takes a hit like i got the absorption is toast . So no jock like an old jock , sometimes more cojones than brains

ERJ-145CA

I'm finally going back to work. I just got to Houston today to do re-qualification training to get me back in the cockpit. Should be here for about 5 days of training and then I'll be back to flying people around. It was almost a 6 month recovery for my injuries. I had 3 months of no weight on my right leg followed by a month of partial weight bearing. After that a month of PT, three times a week plus daily home exercises and then a month of going to the gym and home exercises. I currently walk with a slight limp which should get better with time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Man ERJ, that's rough. Missing the last 5 months of a ski season is bad enough, can't imagine having to miss work for half a year as well.

Glad to hear you're getting close to be healthy again.

steamboat1

Glad to hear ERJ, stay healthy.

My ankle is doing good but my knee is still a little funky.

edit: forgot to add although my ankle is doing good my ankle & foot are still swollen. Doctor says it takes about 6 months for the swelling to go away.

Last edited:

ERJ-145CA

Glad to hear ERJ, stay healthy.

My ankle is doing good but my knee is still a little funky.

edit: forgot to add although my ankle is doing good my ankle & foot are still swollen. Doctor says it takes about 6 months for the swelling to go away.

Glad to hear you're getting better too. My ankle is still a little swollen but my foot is no longer so I can finally wear any pair of shoes.

gmcunni

not looking forward to the upcoming season, from an injury perspective.

last day out @ Mt Snow i was making turns in the soft spring snow and felt a sharp pain in my right knee every time i turned left. the harder i turned the more it hurt.

a few weeks later i started playing softball, first game i made an awkward slide and banged my right knee badly. then, 2 days later, in another game i took a ball off the inside of my right knee.

after a month of swelling, pain and limping i saw a Dr. MRI showed a bone bruise and torn meniscus. Dr says scoping knee should eliminate the pain. going to wait until end of summer to see how it goes. i'm convinced (hoping) the bone bruise is the cause of most of my discomfort but thinking back to the last day of the season i'm not hopeful for a pain free/surgery free recovery.

pain is getting better so i'm hopeful. in June if i played ball or tennis i'd be limping badly the next day, now it isn't as bad. sharp pain still happens with any kind of twisting motion tho.

trying to lose some weight + strengthen the leg to help.

HowieT2

not looking forward to the upcoming season, from an injury perspective.

last day out @ Mt Snow i was making turns in the soft spring snow and felt a sharp pain in my right knee every time i turned left. the harder i turned the more it hurt.

a few weeks later i started playing softball, first game i made an awkward slide and banged my right knee badly. then, 2 days later, in another game i took a ball off the inside of my right knee.

after a month of swelling, pain and limping i saw a Dr. MRI showed a bone bruise and torn meniscus. Dr says scoping knee should eliminate the pain. going to wait until end of summer to see how it goes. i'm convinced (hoping) the bone bruise is the cause of most of my discomfort but thinking back to the last day of the season i'm not hopeful for a pain free/surgery free recovery.

pain is getting better so i'm hopeful. in June if i played ball or tennis i'd be limping badly the next day, now it isn't as bad. sharp pain still happens with any kind of twisting motion tho.

trying to lose some weight + strengthen the leg to help.

fwiw-I'm no doctor (but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night), but I have learned about knee injuries both from personal experience and via my job, and you should strongly consider getting it scoped sooner rather than later. The meniscus is the shock absorber of your knee. It is smoother than ice in its natural state. when there is a tear, its like having a pebble in your shoe, every time you bear weight on it, it will irritate the joint. parts of the meniscus doesnt have blood flow so it wont heal on its own.
i was fortunate not to have suffered a significant injury this season, but I'm happy to report that the 2 buddies who did, are now fully weight bearing and back to being productive members of society.