• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson or Aspen?

BodeMiller1

Most weekend warriors from coastal urban locations get their asses whooped skiing at the Vill. I'm a half way decent Dad skier and I'm sure as shit not in good Vill ski shape. So yeah....terrain yada yada but I'll bet you a hundred bucks that most posters in this forum would probably be better off skiing elsewhere. Check out this guys first lap in this edit at Snowmass. It looks awesome and enjoyable, epic even for a weekend warrior from New Jersey. This footage was probably from this past week.

The guy seemed to enjoy the comped water.
I don't believe anyone can beat the breakfast bar at Stowe. $25 all you can consume. You have to bring your own weed, butt a small drawback. BYOW

Anyone been to Whistler/ Blackcomb? To me that's the place. I'm thinking it would cost $3K all in for a week. Plus medical bills.

KustyTheKlown

the only thing a bit ass whoopy about jackson for me is the actual hiking. getting up the headwall and then over to the crags is a haul. i was much better at this last season than prior years thanks to much better gym and health habits. the actual skiing is very challenging but not that crazy. i found kicking horse to have more gnarly lines, or at least easier ones to get to.

SnowRock

I'll add my 2 cents... was fortunate to get to Aspen a few years in a row mooching lodging off two buddies in the soft goods industry who'd head out there for outdoor fashion week. As many noted... its expansive when you look at all 4 peaks. Snowmass alone is enormous and has some really amazing terrain. Ajax is everything you think about Aspen and Highlands is sick... got lucky with some really good snow one year. Never been to Buttermilk.

Cons... while I like "ski towns and restaurant/bar options (know some people are super core and don't care), Aspen is a bit much. With buddies out there for work, great. On my own... no thanks. Way too expensive. Also hard'ish to get to... that airport is a rough one to land a plane at during the season. My travel was messed up and forced scrambles like 3 of 4 trips

Jackson for me is great. I pay up for the direct from EWR. Stay in town versus village. Can land and be out at Snowking in no time. Shuttle or town bus to village. Really solid restaurant and bar options that are not terribly priced. I love the terrain. Yes, it is a little "small" compared to some of the mega spots but it gives me all I need and more. I am not the fittest, but I have done the headwall hike every time I have been there (3 times one day is my max) and its been worth it all but one time. So that's the next point... snow. I have been like 7 of the last 8 years (late Jan or early Feb) and almost always done well. Not sure there is a better early season spot for that

raisingarizona

the only thing a bit ass whoopy about jackson for me is the actual hiking. getting up the headwall and then over to the crags is a haul. i was much better at this last season than prior years thanks to much better gym and health habits. the actual skiing is very challenging but not that crazy. i found kicking horse to have more gnarly lines, or at least easier ones to get to.
It's not challenging you enough? Race your box then. Hammer non stop top to bottom, try that just on the Hobacks, I dare ya! This doesn't have anything to do with "gnarly" terrain. I doubt anyone on this forum is punting it off forty footers or straight pinning chutes at 50 mph. Don't kid yourselves, hardly anyone if anyone is skiing like that visiting on a vacation from New Jersey or Boston. This is in part my point, the majority of people going on ski vacations would probably have a better time if they went to places where the terrain actually matches their abilities, not what they like to imagine what their abilities are.

The Lower faces beat the snot out of the unprepared. The actual groomer skiing overall is not that awesome imho. The Bridger gondola runs are too steep with little relief. I like my groomers with fun but shortish head walls to g-outs and semi flatter sections. Runs that you can let em run a bit instead of constantly fighting gravity on a relentless fall line. Now for a powder skiing mountain? You can't beat it. The pitch is an overall consistent 28-32 degrees top to bottom with much steeper bits in between it's folds and ridge lines. It's served by a top to bottom tram (it was awesome 20+ years ago with generally a three or less box wait) and the majority of it is natural.I've always said that it's the best powder skiing mountain in the country but after visiting Taos I'd say acre per acre Taos is more challenging and steeper.

As far as Jackson's size you have 2500 acres of mostly giddy up mutherfocker. Let's say that 85% of the terrain is really entertaining, would you say the same about Vail or Steamboat? I sure wouldn't.

Last edited:

SnowRock

It's not challenging you enough? Race your box then. Hammer non stop top to bottom, try that just on the Hobacks, I dare ya! This doesn't have anything to do with "gnarly" terrain. I doubt anyone on this forum is punting it off forty footers or straight pinning chutes at 50 mph. Don't kid yourselves, hardly anyone if anyone is skiing like that visiting on a vacation from New Jersey or Boston. This is in part my point, the majority of people going on ski vacations would probably have a better time if they went to places where the terrain actually matches their abilities, not what they like to imagine what their abilities are.

The Lower faces beat the snot out of the unprepared. The actual groomer skiing overall is not that awesome imho. The Bridger gondola runs are too steep with little relief. I like my groomers with fun but shortish head walls to g-outs and semi flatter sections. Runs that you can let em run a bit instead of constantly fighting gravity on a relentless fall line. Now for a powder skiing mountain? You can't beat it. The pitch is an overall consistent 28-32 degrees top to bottom with much steeper bits in between it's folds and ridge lines. It's served by a top to bottom tram (it was awesome 20+ years ago with generally a three or less box wait) and the majority of it is natural.I've always said that it's the best powder skiing mountain in the country but after visiting Taos I'd say acre per acre Taos is more challenging and steeper.

As far as Jackson's size you have 2500 acres of mostly giddy up mutherfocker. Let's say that 85% of the terrain is really entertaining, would you say the same about Vail or Steamboat? I sure wouldn't.
Yeah my first trip... that relentlessness of the pitch is what stood out. Love steep technical schit, love carving and speed and it never disappoints me. I also usually link up with a friend that lives there and so keeping up with him and his ski crew kicks my ass, especially on a board. I've done the Hobacks a few times when they are good and when I thought they were good... the latter situation is always a challenge lol

VTSkiBike

I have family in Jackson, WY so I've done quite a bit of skiing out there. It's definitely big boy skiing - you not only need to be a strong skier to appreciate the terrain, but you also need to be in decent shape. Those "expert" skiers with beer bellies who haven't done cardio or strength training won't last long.

If you're an expert East coast skier, Jackson will really test your skills more than other western resorts. It's the best, most demanding skiing in the lower 48.

raisingarizona

Yeah my first trip... that relentlessness of the pitch is what stood out. Love steep technical schit, love carving and speed and it never disappoints me. I also usually link up with a friend that lives there and so keeping up with him and his ski crew kicks my ass, especially on a board. I've done the Hobacks a few times when they are good and when I thought they were good... the latter situation is always a challenge lol
Yup, I'd get my ass handed to me right now trying to keep up with local skiers and riders there. Even during a big winter here and getting in 50+ days I wouldn't be really ready for that much vertical. We just don't have that scale of terrain to get conditioned for it.

Zand

Best part about Jackson is that the pitch is steep but at the same time it's not really that noticeable because the snow is always so good. Then you to so somewhere that you would otherwise think is steep, like Cannon or Sugarloaf, and all of a sudden it seems flat as a pancake. Tower 3 is probably what...40+ degrees? Yet most days you can just float down it like it's nothing.

I do agree that it wears you out quickly being from the east. Sometimes I try to fit in a groomer day in the middle of a trip but it's impossible to fight the temptation to ski the good stuff when you know it's really good.

AdironRider

Corbets / Experts / TB / Dicks is a run only a handful on this board could even entertain, let alone ski well.

Just the Cowboy Couloir would be above most people's pay grade, and that is just a shot off slalom to finish up your day.

KustyTheKlown

its def challenging enough. i just think its a tad over-rated in the challenge department, and the only reason i really say that is kicking horse. kicking horse shocked me with the easy access to steep chutey terrain. like 100+ named chutes, and almost all lift accessed. i'm dont think i've skied anyplace in the US as consistently challenging as jackson. silverton, but thats different.

the lower faces def do beat people up. especially when you go from light pow up top to heavy sludge in the hobacks. a dreamy run from top of rv bowl to bottom of hobacks when the snow is right

groomers are jackson are actively lousy, imo. its not what anyone is there for

i'm not straightlining chutes at high speed or booting giant cliffs, but i ski just about everything jackson has to offer within reason. and as i said in the prior post, my general physical fitness (6 days a week lifting and running) really had me well prepared for jackson last season.

i do tend to find tram waits to be prohibitive. i tend to ride the tram maybe once a day (or less) when at jhmr.

i have a fantastic time on my vacations from new jersey to jackson hole, and i ski just about everything the place has to throw at me.

Tonyr

Best part about Jackson is that the pitch is steep but at the same time it's not really that noticeable because the snow is always so good. Then you to so somewhere that you would otherwise think is steep, like Cannon or Sugarloaf, and all of a sudden it seems flat as a pancake. Tower 3 is probably what...40+ degrees? Yet most days you can just float down it like it's nothing.

I do agree that it wears you out quickly being from the east. Sometimes I try to fit in a groomer day in the middle of a trip but it's impossible to fight the temptation to ski the good stuff when you know it's really good.
Agreed, the Tower 3 Chute definitely has a 40 plus degree pitch. I took my wife and son down it as "beginner experts". The snow was so deep the day we skied it that you could just float your way down the run versus a trail like Stein's at Sugarbush, which I thought would be no big deal for them since the pitch is atleast 10 degrees less than Tower 3. What a disaster that was, Stein's was a pure sheet of ice the day we skied it making that run substantially more challenging than Tower 3 when we skied it. All of these opinions of toughest mountains are dependent on the conditions you ski them in my opinion.

In any event, my top 5 challenging US resorts as a lift served skier focusing just on pure expert terrain would be Alta Snowbird, Big Sky, Crested Butte, Squaw Valley, then Jackson Hole in that order but again, this is just my opinion!

KustyTheKlown

^good list. have been to all but CB and would generally agree that they are the top of the pile for challenge.

haven't been to taos either but assume it to be on the level when the snow is in

Zand

Concur with Snowbird ahead of Jackson for challenge. About halfway up Gadzoom you're already riding over some butt puckering chutes. Some crazy inbounds stuff at Snowbird that doesn't even need to be hiked.

Speaking of Squaw...report of an inbounds avalanche in the last hour of KT-22 with active search and rescue. Hope that turns out okay.

crank

My first time skiing TOwer 3 was the first time I experienced slough coming by me. It was snowing like snot and I couldn't see much otherwise I probably would have been a bit scared. as it was I heard this giddy giggle come out of my mouth and that actually startled me.

Plenty of steeps at JH without hiking the headwall...but I understand the appeal.

We also always stay in town for the restaurants, bars and music. Easy to bus out and back.

Tonyr

Taos skis even smaller than Jackson Hole from a lift served perspective for a western resort. They state 1300 skiable acres but all of the terrain I circled below in red is a 20 minute or so hike to get to. Their actual lift served terrain is well under 1k acres plus the Kachina lift I circled in blue doesn't typically open until late February or early March now. About 5 or 6 years ago two young men passed away from an avalanche in that area and Taos has gotten very skiddish about opening that terrain pod up. It's usually open less than a month a season now from we heard from the locals. The hike up to the top of that lift takes about an hour and a half.

1000032911.jpg

Shredmonkey254

Taos skis even smaller than Jackson Hole from a lift served perspective for a western resort. They state 1300 skiable acres but all of the terrain I circled below in red is a 20 minute or so hike to get to. Their actual lift served terrain is well under 1k acres plus the Kachina lift I circled in blue doesn't typically open until late February or early March now. About 5 or 6 years ago two young men passed away from an avalanche in that area and Taos has gotten very skiddish about opening that terrain pod up. It's usually open less than a month a season now from we heard from the locals. The hike up to the top of that lift takes about an hour and a half.

View attachment 60447
We are at Taos now. This place has the goods and easily deserves to be on your most challenging resorts list. The kachina chair was fired up and spinning slowly yesterday, wind shut down entire resort today. Hoping the coming snow gets that K chair open. That is sick looking terrain up there and reminds me of the gondola at Big Sky as for “what were they thinking” when they put that in. I’m here nursing a cold which has kept me from hiking, but the in bounds terrain that is open is more than challenging. I think this is one of the steepest ski areas around. And the access road is incredible, way more than anything the Cottonwood canyons can throw at you.

Last edited:

Tonyr

We are at Taos now. This place has the goods and easily deserves to be on your most challenging resorts list. The kachina chair was fired up and spinning slowly yesterday, wind shut down entire resort today. Hoping the coming snow gets that K chair open. That is sick looking terrain up there and reminds me of the gondola at Big Sky as for “what were they thinking” when they put that in. I’m here nursing a cold which has kept me from hiking, but the in bounds terrain that is open is more than challenging. I think this is one of the steepest ski areas around. And the access road is incredible, way more than anything the Cottonwood canyons can throw at you.
No doubt it's a challenging resort just not in my top 5 due to all the hike to expert terrain, which is only my stupid opinion! I love this sign as you walk through the village btw...

1000032915.jpg
Looking up the mountain from lift 1 is definitely an intimidating view for beginners or intermediates. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time out there!

Last edited: