• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay peak at the end of the week

BenedictGomez

In my professional opinion, more borderline.

For AZ, you're probably correct.

Now can we talk about those "St Louis to win the world series" and "Green Bay to win the superbowl" predictions you made.

At least they both made the playoffs, the Cards are the ones that shocked me though.

Gladerider:
Skied one hour this morning. The did a good job with the groomers. There is currently nothing opened on natural snow. There is natural snow left, but not enough for grooming. Been snowing lightly non-stop for the past couple of hours. We may pick up a couple of inches by tomorrow morning and next week has some potential.

Next Thursday will still suck but it will be better than today.

Ugh.... this is all really disheartening.

Jay conditions were fast and firm all weekend, I skied thereFriday, Saturday and Sunday. Groomed runs were great in the morning, things got fairly scrapey after lunch. Natural snow trails and glades are either not open or awful. Goat and Jet were the best choices usually. Haynes was skiable if you had very sharp edges, kind of a no-fall zone. Montrealer was very nice, too. Even Taxi was closed until Sunday, and then it had sign saying "advanced skiers only." There was a bit of snow accumulation over Saturday and Sunday, so they opened a few more runs and some moderate glades. Not sure why they bothered, I skied the upper part of Derrick and bailed onto Haynes as soon as possible. Imagine concrete moguls covered with four inches of fluff. Not crowded at all but with the limited terrain open, people tended to bunch up in the runouts. Bored people skiing really fast became a hazard to watch for. One guy was so bored, he starightlined the Jet, right from the top in a rare combination of boldness and stupidity.

Forecast looks promising for those going this weekend, snow every day this week. Being Valentine's Day and a holiday weekend for many Canadians, it will be busy.

gladerider

Jay conditions were fast and firm all weekend, I skied thereFriday, Saturday and Sunday. Groomed runs were great in the morning, things got fairly scrapey after lunch. Natural snow trails and glades are either not open or awful. Goat and Jet were the best choices usually. Haynes was skiable if you had very sharp edges, kind of a no-fall zone. Montrealer was very nice, too. Even Taxi was closed until Sunday, and then it had sign saying "advanced skiers only." There was a bit of snow accumulation over Saturday and Sunday, so they opened a few more runs and some moderate glades. Not sure why they bothered, I skied the upper part of Derrick and bailed onto Haynes as soon as possible. Imagine concrete moguls covered with four inches of fluff. Not crowded at all but with the limited terrain open, people tended to bunch up in the runouts. Bored people skiing really fast became a hazard to watch for. One guy was so bored, he starightlined the Jet, right from the top in a rare combination of boldness and stupidity.

Forecast looks promising for those going this weekend, snow every day this week. Being Valentine's Day and a holiday weekend for many Canadians, it will be busy.

thanks for the update. we've been heading up there for a few years and i think this year is setting up to be the worst so far condition wise.
bad condition and polar vortex as a bonus. oh well. cannot cancel so we will be up there no matter what...

VTKilarney

It's not a holiday in Quebec, so that should help at Jay Peak.

fbrissette

fbrissett, thanks for the update. fingers crossed. how long are you going to be up there?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I'm there every week-end. My 11 year old skis with the Jay Peak freeride team so we show up no matter what. Considering your AZ profile name, I'm sure we would get along fine on the hill, but I don't see any glade skiing/riding in the near future despite the relatively positive upcoming weather outlook.

BenedictGomez

J

Ugh... the gf and I was supposed to hit up VT this weekend, but with trip reports like this might not bother. Holiday crowds, limited open terrain, and negative temperatures all weekend might not make for a pleasant experience. I cant believe there's only 31 open trails on February 8th. Granted I'm not 90, but I believe this is the worst eastern ski season I've experienced to this date.

gladerider

Ugh... the gf and I was supposed to hit up VT this weekend, but with trip reports like this might not bother. Holiday crowds, limited open terrain, and negative temperatures all weekend might not make for a pleasant experience. I cant believe there's only 31 open trails on February 8th. Granted I'm not 90, but I believe this is the worst eastern ski season I've experienced to this date.

definitely one of the worsts in my book

bdfreetuna

It'll soften up soon. Once more track get thru and a little melt / freeze cycle. Should be good in a few days.

Have you noticed it's snowing lately around here? 5" in Northampton, 6-7" in the Hilltowns. Berkshire East must have got 8".

gladerider

Just saw Jay Peak snow report this morning. Saying they got 2-4" last night and making snow. Encouraging.

LONGBOARDR

Dust on crust.Each little snowfall does help with the groomers though.

Unfortunately this snow is not the sticky type and gets pushed around. We need a lot! of wetter snow to cover the base on many trails and glades. If you are coming, bring sharp edges and ptex. An extra layer would help too, gonna be chilly this weekend.

gladerider

Well. This afternoon's report from jaypeak says 9" by tomorrow night. Looks like my drive up tomorrow is going to be fun.

gladerider

Yep. Will report when I get there. I'm planning to ride Friday.

gladerider

the drive was fine. light snow all the way here after crossing the bridge.
i don't see 8" they advertised. may be 4". i will be riding tomorrow so we will see.
but they did drop their ropes on quite a few trails. any pow helps in the glades so i'm happy.