• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak closing lifts for lightning

wakenbacon

Same at mount snow. Unfortunately it stopped the band too. Lifts opened back up about 45 minutes ago.

VTKilarney

Unfortunately they also close the indoor waterpark slides when there is lightning.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I had a nice lightning hold at Smuggler's Notch MLK day 2012. They shut down the lifts and it snowed HARD for the next 45 minutes. When they re-opened I was on one of the first ten chairs and got to play in 2 inches of fresh fluff.

STREETSKIER

Vt tram laws state one must wait one hour after last thunder rumble the bush had a front roll through at 1 but opened right back up for rest of day ,the past two days were the best spring days so far and now back to winter snow and cold all next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHSkier13

I often wondered, because maybe it's a fixed grip lift if that makes it better but why do they close tram & flyer but Bonaventure is fine? the top isn't terribly far away from the tram and flyer.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I often wondered, because maybe it's a fixed grip lift if that makes it better but why do they close tram & flyer but Bonaventure is fine? the top isn't terribly far away from the tram and flyer.
If you are talking about wind closures, it is because the prevailing wind is from the NW. That is perpendicular to the Tram and Flyer lines and causes the cabins/chairs to swing side to side.
The Bonaventure quad is more sheltered from NW wind and even though it might be windy at the top it is more of a head wind than a cross wind.

Tin

And sometimes they just close them because there are not many people there.

Tin

The cynical side of me agrees. They're called money holds....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I will only go to Jay if I'm in the area. I have been told by Jay ski patrol and other staff this is a common practice. I'd LOVE to see data on their "wind holds" and when they occur. Something tells me there is a strong correlation to "less busy times" when things are cheap (week after a vacation/holiday, etc.)