• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak minor construction

VTKilarney

Does anyone know what they are building right next to the Stateside Hotel? It looks like it may be as simple as a set of stairs. I wish I had taken a photo.

VTKilarney

That was actually my second guess. Is it intended for summer use or for winter as well?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I guess its not done by a long shot

http://www.dewcorp.com/blog/our-clients/dew-awarded-jay-peak-resort-stateside-projects

Jay-Peak-Stateside-Rendering.jpg

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Minor details here, but the date on the press release is 2012. That rendering "provided by Jay Peak" is from before 2010. The layout of buildings that have been built on Stateside (Hotel/Lodge, Learning Center) is quite different than what is on that old rendering. The only other new building slated to be built there is the Recreation Center which will be across the parking lot from the Hotel/Lodge.

fbrissette

That "Concept Plan" is really old. The layout is totally different now.

Here is the plan for the amphitheater:

This elevation looks like the very first ones I did in Google Sketch-Up when I was learning to use it. :oops:
http://www.anr.state.vt.us/imaging/...-20-14 Jay Amphitheater - South Elevation.pdf

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/imaging/...ateside Amphitheater Area Map - 2014 0620.pdf

Really disappointed in the look. I expected something a bit like the Red rock amphitheater, with an open semi-circular layout that would have fitted the natural layout much better. The way they are laying the foundations, il looks like like a plain rectangle of concrete.

Edit: obviously not that big, but similar in layout.

Tuacahn_Amphitheater.JPG

dlague

This one shows it a lot more like I envisioned it. What they are currently building (based on the concrete slabs I saw last week-end) does not fit the definition of an amphitheater at all.

See 2d or 3 below

Definition according to Merriam-Webster

1 : an oval or circular building with rising tiers of seats ranged about an open space and used in ancient Rome especially for contests and spectacles

a : a very large auditorium
b : a room with a gallery from which doctors and students may observe surgical operations
c : a rising gallery in a modern theater
d : a flat or gently sloping area surrounded by abrupt slopes

3 : a place of public entertainment (as for games or concerts)

fbrissette

See 2d or 3 below

Definition according to Merriam-Webster

1 : an oval or circular building with rising tiers of seats ranged about an open space and used in ancient Rome especially for contests and spectacles

a : a very large auditorium
b : a room with a gallery from which doctors and students may observe surgical operations
c : a rising gallery in a modern theater
d : a flat or gently sloping area surrounded by abrupt slopes

3 : a place of public entertainment (as for games or concerts)

Google:
noun
[COLOR=#878787 !important]noun: amphitheatre; plural noun: amphitheatres; noun: amphitheater; plural noun:amphitheaters[/COLOR]

• (especially in Greek and Roman architecture) a round or oval building, typically unroofed, with a central space for the presentation of dramatic or sporting events. Tiers of seats for spectators surround the central space.

• a sloping, semicircular seating gallery.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"I was permitted to attend a lecture in the amphitheater of the hospital"[/COLOR]

• a large circular hollow in rocks or hills.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"that vast amphitheater chiseled out of the mountain"[/COLOR]

To me it is more like a pavilion. Anyhow, it is pretty sad that we are actually discussing this.

dlague

Google:
noun
[COLOR=#878787 !important]noun: amphitheatre; plural noun: amphitheatres; noun: amphitheater; plural noun:amphitheaters[/COLOR]

• (especially in Greek and Roman architecture) a round or oval building, typically unroofed, with a central space for the presentation of dramatic or sporting events. Tiers of seats for spectators surround the central space.

• a sloping, semicircular seating gallery.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"I was permitted to attend a lecture in the amphitheater of the hospital"[/COLOR]

• a large circular hollow in rocks or hills.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"that vast amphitheater chiseled out of the mountain"[/COLOR]

To me it is more like a pavilion. Anyhow, it is pretty sad that we are actually discussing this.

Not much else being discussed! That is the way summers roll! So have you watched any good ski movies lately?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The design actually kind of makes me think of an ultra-mini SPAC. But rectangular.

Seating under a roof, and seating on the grassy slope in the back.

I do agree that it is an odd design as shown in the plans.

fbrissette

Are they really adding a trail to skiers right of Timbuktu?

It is in the plan. It is universally hated by most Jay Peak skiers. However, Bill Stenger said that this would not happen until the West Bowl is completed. In other words, this may never happen.