• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak tomorrow... wind holds?

bdfreetuna

I'm looking at forecasts and tomorrow looks like the best window I have available for one last day on the year.

Jay Peak got 14" of snow recently and are back to 90%. Sounds good to me. So I was planning on day tripping up there tomorrow.

Then I saw it looks like high winds. And I know Jay Peak is notorious for wind holds.

From the NWS (note I don't mind a little drizzle)

.THURSDAY...CLOUDY. SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGH AROUND 56. SOUTHWEST WINDS 50 TO 55 MPH.

I mean, what are my chances? It's a long drive to go up and only ski The Jet. If I could at least ski Bonnie and Jet that would be enough. How much of a gamble is this?

thetrailboss

Staff member
In my experience, Jay has issues if the wind is from the West or Northwest. If the wind is supposed to switch the west (I don't know if it is), then you might have an issue. But I don't know if a southwest wind will impact the Flyer. Maybe the Tram.

LONGBOARDR

I'm looking at forecasts and tomorrow looks like the best window I have available for one last day on the year.

Jay Peak got 14" of snow recently and are back to 90%. Sounds good to me. So I was planning on day tripping up there tomorrow.

Then I saw it looks like high winds. And I know Jay Peak is notorious for wind holds.

From the NWS (note I don't mind a little drizzle)

.THURSDAY...CLOUDY. SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGH AROUND 56. SOUTHWEST WINDS 50 TO 55 MPH.

I mean, what are my chances? It's a long drive to go up and only ski The Jet. If I could at least ski Bonnie and Jet that would be enough. How much of a gamble is this?

I would not count on more than the jet. The pressure is not on to run a lot of up hill capacity on a rainy midweek day
50 mph is enough to pull the plug for mgmt IMO

MG Skier

Last Friday at Jay didn't seem that windy, however only the jet ran. We felt a couple of gusts up top, but not enough to cancel other lifts. Mountain wasn't busy, might have been a cost saving plan, not certain. MLK day the Bonnie ran and nothing else high... Go figure? FYI it isn't a long walk or skin from the top of Bonnie to the top of the flyer. Skins are in my future!!!

bdfreetuna

I'm not going to risk it right now. Bonnie and Jet would be fine, don't need the Flyer. But no Bonnie and that's a long trip to ski stateside only.

Thinking maybe Sugarbush instead but their site says "winds may effect lift operation" for tomorrow.

Not worth it right now. I'll do this next week instead. Thanks everyone.

LONGBOARDR

Last Friday at Jay didn't seem that windy, however only the jet ran. We felt a couple of gusts up top, but not enough to cancel other lifts. Mountain wasn't busy, might have been a cost saving plan, not certain. MLK day the Bonnie ran and nothing else high... Go figure? FYI it isn't a long walk or skin from the top of Bonnie to the top of the flyer. Skins are in my future!!!

bonnie had a mechanical problem friday according to a friend, by the time it was fixed they did not bother opening it.