• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay this weekend

bdfreetuna

That would be one heck of a rope tow! Right up face chutes! Now THAT would be entertaining to watch.

Steal Burkes Poma!

It would have to be between Tuckerman's chutes and Northway.. and hopefully not screw up Tuck chutes at all in the process. But yeah that would be entertaining, and definitely qualify as earning your turns.

It's a steep pitch though. Now I'm thinking Ski Train. With heated track so it doesn't get snowed in.

snoseek

I'm here to say today at Jay Peak was a total sleeper day. I dare say they underreported as the trails were covered and the trees were skiing deep. That weird lap over to Beaver pond area from the Bonnie and back off metro was totally working for me. Place was empty as it was frigid. Glad I made the drive!

dlague

It would have to be between Tuckerman's chutes and Northway.. and hopefully not screw up Tuck chutes at all in the process. But yeah that would be entertaining, and definitely qualify as earning your turns.

It's a steep pitch though. Now I'm thinking Ski Train. With heated track so it doesn't get snowed in.

Catapult! Better yet 4 person vacuum tube much like at a bank drive thru!

BenedictGomez

Let me know if you guys want to meet for a few runs. We could even hit Big Jay since I assume you will have an extra car. Let's just avoid the topic of climate change :cool:. If we ski at tunaspeed we can afford the 1-hour tram wait.

I'm not 100% yet, depends on weather (and I'll probably do 1 day JP, 1 day Smuggs).

Two words: rope tow.

Not possible. Way too steep.

moresnow

Not possible. Way too steep.

Up Tuckermans, or any place on the face is certainly too steep. Northway should be doable for a surface lift. Kicking Horse has a surface lift with a real steep pitch. There is a rope to grab on the ground in case you fall and start to slide

fbrissette

Up Tuckermans, or any place on the face is certainly too steep. Northway should be doable for a surface lift. Kicking Horse has a surface lift with a real steep pitch. There is a rope to grab on the ground in case you fall and start to slide

Northway is definitely OK for a lift. But how are the bad skiers that wait for the tram for one hour going to go down ?

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I feel badly for the poor guy who started this thread asking about skiing last weekend and got a thread debating the worth of the Tram.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

fbrissette

At least we figured out that a poma lift up the face would solve all problems.

Man, I would definitely stand in line for one hour to ride that lift.

camberstick

Don't feel too bad, you guys are funny. The tram is what it is. My crew rode it once a day when the lines weren't too bad. Not worth the typical lines but the fresh left in Valhalla was pretty awesome.

dlague

I find it interesting that Jay Peak reported 4-6 inches yesterday and 5-7 today yet I see nothing on the radar.

snoseek

I find it interesting that Jay Peak reported 4-6 inches yesterday and 5-7 today yet I see nothing on the radar.

I'm thinking that must have fell yesterday after the initial report because it skied way deeper that 5 inches

dlague

Jay Cloud over performing! I do think it is funny that all the snow they talk about yet never make it to mid May. May 10th was the latest I skied there.

fbrissette

Jay Cloud over performing! I do think it is funny that all the snow they talk about yet never make it to mid May. May 10th was the latest I skied there.

In the North East, to make it to May, you depend almost exclusively on man-made snow. While they blow a significant amount on the Jet, they are not in Killington's league. The ESE exposition is not optimal either.

Jay Peak has quite consistently the most terrain open in April which is a better indicator of snow amounts.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In the North East, to make it to May, you depend almost exclusively on man-made snow. While they blow a significant amount on the Jet, they are not in Killington's league. The ESE exposition is not optimal either.

Jay Peak has quite consistently the most terrain open in April which is a better indicator of snow amounts.

Sugarloaf generally is right there with them. Obviously Sugarloaf gets a good deal less snow, but they preserve it better. Sugarloaf probably wins on acreage, Jay probably wins on percentage of terrain open.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So looks like we have moved off the Tram and onto the next topic: are Jay's snow reports accurate? ;) And the guy's trip to Jay has come and gone. :lol:

Last edited:

gregnye

So looks like we have moved off the Tram and onto the next topic: are Jay's snow reports accurate? ;) And the guy's trip to Jay has come and gone. :lol:

Now we just need to talk about the West Bowl and the Bonnie high speed 6 upgrade!