• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay's marketing machine in high gear...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The best part of this thread is that JPR IS listening and not just sitting back and taking it. They do seem to be taking steps to correct the bad rep they garnered over the last few years. So in the end, right or wrong, this discussion is not only healthy, but important towards rebuilding that tarnished rep, as long as it doesn't degenerate into a slug fest. Some of that diminished rep is the result of reporting large quantities from "yesterday" and "today" but customers arriving to wonder where it all went. I suspect a few caveats about blowing and drifting could help, but I am also appreciative of the fact that the resorts are now publishing RANGES of snowfall.

It was I who brought JPR and MRG into this in the first place, based entirely on the reputation each has for reporting. Beginning to highlight the good, bad and ugly is useful. Knowing that JPR changed their web page forecast 7 times in 24 hours is insightful.

Agree or disagree, this morning snow country received the following reports:
JPR
Today:7 - 9"
Yesterday: 3 - 5"

MRG
Today:2"
Yesterday: 4 - 5"

We need to draw the distinction between wishful thinking (which is my expertise) and a forecast based on analysis.

Of course we're all hoping to make up for lost snow this week, as evidenced by a recent thread expressing surprise over what % Stowe has open.

So, in summary, I'm thrilled to see JPR engaged in the dialog, thrilled to see that at least one person at JPR believes reading AZ is worthy and thrilled to see that our remarks, correct or blatantly wrong are being monitored.

Now, let's get some more snow on the hill!

kingdom-tele

do the same people who get bent about a ski resort reporting snowfall also get bent about skis that don't ski like the magazines report they should?

if you are basing a good time on a ski resorts snow report then you are already having a bad time IMO

besides, everyone knows that jay doesn't get snow, don't bother looking at the report or driving all the way up here, stick with the "honest" resorts

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
do the same people who get bent about a ski resort reporting snowfall also get bent about skis that don't ski like the magazines report they should?

if you are basing a good time on a ski resorts snow report then you are already having a bad time IMO

besides, everyone knows that jay doesn't get snow, don't bother looking at the report or driving all the way up here, stick with the "honest" resorts

Don't know. I do know that there was a time, not that long ago, before the internet and cheap phone calls where it was damn near impossible to get a clear answer about what was going on "up there." In the 70's and early/mid 80s I had to rely on verbal reports from people which were 1+ weeks old. If I could get a report from last weekend, I thought I was doing great.
The resorts published week old snow data in the local paper and had a really bad rep (all of them) for grossly exaggerating. The guys on the local tele who reported conditions once a day were clueless mouthpieces and you could only catch the report on the radio at 5:30am, if you were lucky. We knew we were dealing with dated and incorrect info, but what could we do? A phone call to a resort might cost me $4, when I was making $2.85/hour. We've come a long way since that point. Not only are the reports much more accurate (no place to hide), but the reporting things we quarrel about are quite minor compared to the "bad old days"

2knees

The best part of this thread is that JPR IS listening and not just sitting back and taking it.
Taking what? I thought you said you were just being a skeptic?

They do seem to be taking steps to correct the bad rep they garnered over the last few years.

based on this thread?
So in the end, right or wrong, this discussion is not only healthy, but important towards rebuilding that tarnished rep, as long as it doesn't degenerate into a slug fest.

You're sarcastic attempt at pointing out their snow reporting shortcomings in comparison to MRG? Funny but they both came up way short. that happens here in new england quite frequently and not just with ski area weather forecasts.

Some of that diminished rep is the result of reporting large quantities from "yesterday" and "today" but customers arriving to wonder where it all went. I suspect a few caveats about blowing and drifting could help, but I am also appreciative of the fact that the resorts are now publishing RANGES of snowfall.

sorry but any skier worth their weight knows full well that unless you are there the day of the storm or the morning after, all bets are completely off as far as how much snow will be on the trails. to say otherwise shows lack of experience and reality in my opinion. We have this thing called wind, which frequently cranks up right after storms. All ski areas report their full storm totals for a few days after a storm. most websites have a new snow in 24 hours and new snow in 7 days total. If you want to get excited about snow that fell 3 days ago, show up, and the trails are scraped, thats your problem. I think most people know what they are or could be getting into.

It was I who brought JPR and MRG into this in the first place, based entirely on the reputation each has for reporting. Beginning to highlight the good, bad and ugly is useful. Knowing that JPR changed their web page forecast 7 times in 24 hours is insightful.

again, i think you are being very self serving and you are back tracking here. Steve called you out for being wrong and it seems like a nice case of C.Y.A. here.

Agree or disagree, this morning snow country received the following reports:
JPR
Today:7 - 9"
Yesterday: 3 - 5"

MRG
Today:2"
Yesterday: 4 - 5"

so they BOTH completely wiffed. again, that happens allllll the time.

We need to draw the distinction between wishful thinking (which is my expertise) and a forecast based on analysis.

so they shouldnt listen to the people who forecast the weather for a living? those forecasts arent based on analysis? i dont follow this logic at all.

Of course we're all hoping to make up for lost snow this week, as evidenced by a recent thread expressing surprise over what % Stowe has open.

this has no place or relevance in the discussion. I'd bet the farm jay peak doesnt put out forecasts based on the wishes or wants of its customers or Stowes'

tjf67

Jay

You can knock jay all you want but anyone who has been around the northeast knows they they get the snow. Sure they go through the thaw freeze cycles like everyone else but they get more snow all the time. I have been 5 times for overnight trips and 4 of them we had over a foot of snow while i was there. Once there was 40 inches and once there was 30 inches. I dont make last minute plans. So it was luck of the draw. I go to jay when I want the best chances for luck

the commercials are the best ski commercials I have seen.

BigJay

I really like seeing Steve post comments here. That's, to me, how Jay makes the difference... The blog on the website really brought perspective on how users feel about the website... and they listened.

But hate Jay Peak all you want over the forums... Still, there are more and more coming each year... I think they have one of the greatest marketing slang... Makes you feel like you belong... No false bullshit of having the best shopping center or new high-tech stuff that every "ski enthousiasts" likes... No Fitness center, No Spa... Like they say, if you're not here for the mountain, you're not here! And that should stay and be the main focus.

I really appreciate when they say: "You know what, this might not be the best day for skiing"... or when they say: "We'll have a dump of snow"... Who cares about the total... Will they be every inch accurate... Probably not... Underestimated... Probably not... But still, i was riding a nice layer of powder on sunday... So, to me, snow is reliable... You have to be up here and see the difference...

But in the end, if you don't... More snow for ME!
:-D

hammer

Sooo...I've been starting to check out "Weather from The Hill" on Jay's website in anticipation of my visit on 28 Feb, especially since we're going through a (hopefully short) warm-up. Worthwhile to do?

amf

Well, I'm going there the week of Feb 23, and the long range forecast for Montgomery Center is calling for snow, snow, & more snow....

tjf67

Sooo...I've been starting to check out "Weather from The Hill" on Jay's website in anticipation of my visit on 28 Feb, especially since we're going through a (hopefully short) warm-up. Worthwhile to do?

You have to do something during the day why not?

It will be interesting for you to report after you get back and tell us what they got Vs what they report. Everytime I go they seem dead on.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hill is decent. Not as unbiased as MRG's Fox and occasionally likes to report multiple day storm totals rather than breaking it out into total estimates per day, so you need to understand "possible 8-20" three day total" really means it could be as little as 2-3" on one of those days. But enough details are given that most readers should be able to figure out which days are the jackpots and which ones are the warm up and end of the system days.

Regardless, Jay gets tracked out on the known runs by 10am and on the unknown runs by 12pm most powder days. So don't be expecting any untracked left overs a day or two after the storm.

SnowPlow

I also have been critical of the Jay reports over the years and will say that things have improved. Sure, there are Jay inches, but it is better. t!

Maybe they're confused about centimeters and inches up there ;)

rsf0000001

Having spent several long weekends and a couple full weeks at Jay in the past 5 years I must say that I have not really noticed any discrepancy between their reported snowfall and what I've found on the mountain. Some trails will always be icy no matter how much snow falls because of the wind but if you hit the woods you'll find the reported snow.

tjf67

Having spent several long weekends and a couple full weeks at Jay in the past 5 years I must say that I have not really noticed any discrepancy between their reported snowfall and what I've found on the mountain. Some trails will always be icy no matter how much snow falls because of the wind but if you hit the woods you'll find the reported snow.

+1