• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jessica's Law in New Hampshire

Granite1

While driving around the speed limit on I93 today, a person driving a vehicle with MA plates did not clean off the ice and snow on the car's roof. As a result, several large sheets of flying ice/snow smashed into my windshield. It did not cause any damage, thankfully. The same thing happened on Sunday on my way home from Cannon, but not as bad. A reminder to all those traveling to NH it is the law to remove the snow and ice from your vehicle, including the roof.

Jessica's law NH
Since 2002, New Hampshire drivers have been legally required to clear snow and ice off their cars before getting on the road. Jessica's Law was passed after the death of Jessica Smith. Smith was killed when ice from a tractor-trailer hit a box truck that ended up hitting her car.

danimals

If cops just parked anywhere and pulled people over just for that after a snowfall, they could probably make enough in one day to fund their towns police force for a year. Its illegal in NJ too, yet i see people drive past cops with 2 feet of snow on their roofs all the time.

I also notice pretty much every tractor trailer has sheets of ice flying off them the whole way down the highway. I think penalties need to be higher for things like this. It may seem lame, but it legit kills people and causes a lot of property damage.

cdskier

Been a law in NJ for a while...so I'm used to this. Still see people all the time with snow on their cars after a storm.

ThatGuy

Cops would rather pull you over for 11 over than do something that might save a life.
Used to live off of Rt. 7 in Hoosic and the amount of PA/CT/NJ plates coming back with piles of snow on top of their vehicles is staggering.
How hard is it to swipe that shit off…

NYDB

Cops would rather pull you over for 11 over than do something that might save a life.
Used to live off of Rt. 7 in Hoosic and the amount of PA/CT/NJ plates coming back with piles of snow on top of their vehicles is staggering.
80% of those cars are monster SUV's. No way those soccer moms driving can reach up there. its best to just try and hit 80+mph on 279. What stays on the roof after that is God's decision. and he works in mysterious ways

cdskier

And PA/CT/NJ are all states with laws requiring removal of snow from the top of vehicles. So not like any of those drivers are from states where it isn't a law and they might not be aware.

deadheadskier

Staff member
80% of those cars are monster SUV's. No way those soccer moms driving can reach up there. its best to just try and hit 80+mph on 279. What stays on the roof after that is God's decision. and he works in mysterious ways

I drive a minivan for work. My 5'3" wife can clear it with the proper tool. Folks can also pull a step stool out of the house if needed.

IMO there's no acceptable excuse to not clean off a car of snow

cdskier

I drive a minivan for work. My 5'3" wife can clear it with the proper tool. Folks can also pull a step stool out of the house if needed.

IMO there's no acceptable excuse to not clean off a car of snow

Agreed (although NYDB's post was also sarcastic so I think he agrees as well).

jimmywilson69

correct I have an extending snow brush that allows my 5'6" midget body to clear the snow off of my subaru forester. I also was able to clear my buddies 4 runner.

Dickc

I always laugh when someone with a roof full of snow hits the brakes too hard and has it all cover their windshield. Dumb asses.

Newpylong

I drive an F-350 with a small lift. It sits a good foot and a half taller than a Suburban. I can easily reach the middle of the roof with an extension brush from the ground. Running boards give even more height if needed. There are no excuses.

cdskier

One word of caution when using these tools. Most cars have a so called "shark fin" antenna. Some of those do not seal well to the roof, and if you hit it too hard with the snow rake, it will start leaking. Always clean around that "shark fin" with caution. GMC and Chevy are known for this.

Had that issue on my old Chevy Avalanche (don't remember if I hit it cleaning snow off the roof or if it just happened some other way...).