• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak March 11th....AZ Southern Outing

ALLSKIING

Staff member
March 11 Jiminy Peak Rollcall thus far, just quote and add your name to the list. :
Andyzee - A definite maybe for me and my wife.
Charlie Schuessler - I plan on being there and bringing two guests with me
ALLSKIING - My wife and I are both in.
Marc - Yeah um.A definite probability.
Catul - My wife and I might be able to make it, but won't know for sure until late next week.
2knees - I'll put myself in for a maybe
BeanoNYC - Alright .... Looks like I'm in for the 11th! Now where do I get that $10 coupon?
Loafer89 - I am a go, if the weather is good, I hate rain let alone skiing in it. My wife will split the driving with me and I will bring my son along.

loafer89

BeanoNYC said:
Great Dave, thanks! I'll PM you later this week to confirm my attendence. What's the best way to get up to Jiminy from Queens? I'm assuming the taconic?

Just be forewarned to keep off the leadfoot when you enter Columbia County on the Taconic, my last speeding ticket in 1998 was on that highway. We will probably try taking I-87 to I-90 as the thruway allows for a higher speed without all the twists and turns of the Taconic.

My GPS has the fastest route as being I-684 to I-84 to the Taconic up to Jiminy with a total of 199 miles and 3 hours 17 minutes driving time.

What time are we all anticipating on getting together on Saturday???? I can make it by about 9:30-10:00am.

Last edited:

Catul

ALLSKIING said:
March 11 Jiminy Peak Rollcall thus far, just quote and add your name to the list. :
Andyzee - A definite maybe for me and my wife.
Charlie Schuessler - I plan on being there and bringing two guests with me
ALLSKIING - My wife and I are both in.
Marc - Yeah um.A definite probability.
Catul - My wife and I might be able to make it, but won't know for sure until late next week.
2knees - I'll put myself in for a maybe
BeanoNYC - Alright .... Looks like I'm in for the 11th! Now where do I get that $10 coupon?
Loafer89 - I am a go, if the weather is good, I hate rain let alone skiing in it. My wife will split the driving with me and I will bring my son along.

Changed my status - I'm in, without the wife.

How about 10:00 am at the outside tables in front of the lodge?

That works - this is near the base of the 6-pack right? I'm planning to be there for first chair at 8:30 a.m., anyone else going to be there earlier and want to hook up around 9?

loafer89

I will probably be there around 9am as we plan to leave at 6am, but it depends on traffic.

Hopefully the very brief window of good weather holds for saturday, right now the forecast is for rain on friday and sunday. Saturday is forecast to be partly cloudy and 53F.

Last edited:

loafer89

This place is expensive, $51 for me I can understand, but $39 for my son at age 6????
At Hunter he is free until age 7.

2knees

I gotta pull out of this one. Enjoy your day. Looks like saturday might end up being pretty good.

loafer89

9:30 would be a good meet up time for me. Dave, how are you going up, I guess you are driving around Long Island? or are you taking the ferry to route 8 north?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
loafer89 said:
9:30 would be a good meet up time for me. Dave, how are you going up, I guess you are driving around Long Island? or are you taking the ferry to route 8 north?
I am arriving Fri and Leaving Sun? I am bringing the whole family and putting my seven year old in ski school and the little one in day care on Sat.
I like 9:30 lets shoot for that.

loafer89

Since I appear to be the one with the longest drive, I'll try my best to be on time. We only plan on skiing until about 2pm as I have to work on sunday.

BeanoNYC

loafer89 said:
Since I appear to be the one with the longest drive, I'll try my best to be on time. We only plan on skiing until about 2pm as I have to work on sunday.

Where the heck on the Island are you Loaf? Dave is out in wine country.

loafer89

I am close to Centereach, near the center of Long Island. It's about a 40 mile drive for me to the Throgs Neck bridge.

Greg

Staff member
Man, I really wish I could be there, guys. FWIW, here are my suggestions for how to ski the mountain. Keep in mind this is coming from a Jiminy regular that normally skis on Sundays or weekdays so it may or may not work well on a Saturday.

Start skier's left to right by riding the six. Warm up on West Way, then hit the Foxes, the Willie's and North Glade. You should be looking at about 10 am by this point. Work on Whitetail and Jericho and if the Q1 quad opens by then, hit that and stick to Jericho, Turkey and Whitetail. Maybe take a run or two off the Widow White's Quad.

Eat lunch at 11:30 on Christiansens Taven. It will be pretty easy to get a seat then. Head back out at noon and ride either the six or the triple back to the summit. You may be able to then ride the six for a few runs while everyone else eats to hit the Foxes and North Glade. If it gets busy at the six, just head over the Q1 or Widow White's Quad and cruise whatever runs are best off those lifts. After 2:30, you'll have the place to yourseslves again.

Enjoy and please take lots of pics. Again, wish I could be there...