• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just going to leave this here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottySkis

That was an interesting read, don't know if will help get more women into snowboarding but it be cool if it did.

dmc

For some reason this doesn't concern me..
Things change.. I like it that way.

Seems it's more interesting to skiers than snowboarders... Almost like "See!!! I told you it was a fad".... :)

Morwax

I think its very simple. Skis are a superior tool and the younguns no longer think its ghey. I can agree with one thing in the article, ticket prices being exorbitent, especially for the young and struggling.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think its very simple. Skis are a superior tool and the younguns no longer think its ghey.

I think that stating that "Skis are a superior tool" is ghey..........and I'm a skier.

Some people prefer snowboarding, some prefer skiing. Who cares?

Morwax

Why is that true. I am happy to have more people come the hills it keeps them open. Enjoy any device you want on the hill.
I was reffering to my superior tool and kids not thinking skiing is lame anymore comment. I dont care what anyone rides.. Just stating what to me seems obvious as to why boarding has peaked somewhat as the article states.

Morwax

You guys act like I killed your dog. Im just stating my thoughts on the article WOW can anyone read a thread in context?

fbrissette

I think that stating that "Skis are a superior tool" is ghey..........and I'm a skier.

Some people prefer snowboarding, some prefer skiing. Who cares?

I don't care either. What Morwax could have stated ( and a lot more elegantly), is that snowboarding carries a few disadvantages:

- repetitive buckling and unbuckling
- more difficult on the flats and slight uphills
- it's more difficult to teach your kids (to either ski or board) when you're riding a board
- less efficient to explore the backcountry

What snowboarding had going real strong, was that it was much cooler than skiing for a long while. Now that skiing is cool again, I think these disadvantages come a little bit more into play.

Morwax

I don't care either. What Morwax could have stated ( and a lot more elegantly), is that snowboarding carries a few disadvantages:

- repetitive buckling and unbuckling
- more difficult on the flats and slight uphills
- it's more difficult to teach your kids (to either ski or board) when you're riding a board
- less efficient to explore the backcountry

What snowboarding had going real strong, was that it was much cooler than skiing for a long while. Now that skiing is cool again, I think these disadvantages come a little bit more into play.
Thank you.. I guess I could have used more tact.. I forgot how sensitive snowboarders are... LOL

BenedictGomez

Except it's true; regardless of whether you prefer skiing or prefer snowboarding, or couldn't care less either way, skis really are a "superior snow tool".

You dont tend to see a lot of military snowboard outfits or backcountry snowboard rescue teams. I'd think even the most ardent snowboarders would admit this much.

bobbutts

The big difference in snowboarding for me was how fast I went from beginner to decent. Learning to ski in the 80's I remember it taking many days and lessons before I really started to get it. I guess it's faster to learn on skis now too with improved equipment. I always sort of felt like if someone wanted to progress fast, snowboard was the way to go though.

Snowboard used to be the superior tool for powder. I think skis catching up there has plenty of impact too. I'd venture to say powder is a bigger niche vs. park.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Except it's true; regardless of whether you prefer skiing or prefer snowboarding, or couldn't care less either way, skis really are a "superior snow tool".

You dont tend to see a lot of military snowboard outfits or backcountry snowboard rescue teams. I'd think even the most ardent snowboarders would admit this much.

Skiing, snowboarding, tele, whatever are tools for having fun. None are inherently better than the other when fun is a highly personal metric.

Morwax

The big difference in snowboarding for me was how fast I went from beginner to decent. Learning to ski in the 80's I remember it taking many days and lessons before I really started to get it. I guess it's faster to learn on skis now too with improved equipment. I always sort of felt like if someone wanted to progress fast, snowboard was the way to go though.
I completely agree.. Snowboarding was fairly easy to learn although I attribute some of that to being a skier first. If someone was just starting out though and I had to recommend a TOOL id suggest skis for the long haul and I think thats what alot of newbs are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.