• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just going to leave this here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Skiing, snowboarding, tele, whatever are tools for having fun. None are inherently better than the other when fun is a highly personal metric.

Well, "fun" is a an entirely different subject.

The statement he made was that skis are a "superior snow tool" , which is true regardless of whether you're having fun or not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I could see people making the argument that a board is a better "tool" for riding Powder, Switch, Tight Trees, Carving (a good boarder can literally get so far over they can touch the snow with their nose, that can't be done on skis). Hell, I know people who board because they prefer the comfort and warmth of snowboard boots over ski boots.

Let's not forget individual skill. For some people boarding comes much more naturally to them than skiing and vice versa. I progressed at skiing very fast as a young kid. I put in a lot of time on a board and never got beyond a low intermediate level. I had other friends who skied for years and were just okay, but by the end of their first year on a snowboard were hiking the Chin at Stowe with me.

He expressed his opinion of what he thinks is a better tool for him. To make a blanket statement that one is the definitive "superior snow tool" than the other is nonsense. Maybe it is for you, but it's not the superior snow tool for everyone.

JPTracker

I think the first line of the article says a lot

Snowboarding has always been a bit of a rebellious pursuit – “not your father’s sport”

For new kids coming into the sport their father's are snow boarders. So snow boarding is no longer rebellious therefore kids may now be choosing skis to rebel.

Gilligan

I could see people making the argument that a board is a better "tool" for riding Powder, Switch, Tight Trees, Carving (a good boarder can literally get so far over they can touch the snow with their nose, that can't be done on skis). Hell, I know people who board because they prefer the comfort and warmth of snowboard boots over ski boots.
If snowboards are so good at carving, then why are skis faster when racing?

Morwax

Let's not forget individual skill. For some people boarding comes much more naturally to them than skiing and vice versa. I progressed at skiing very fast as a young kid. I put in a lot of time on a board and never got beyond a low intermediate level. I had other friends who skied for years and were just okay, but by the end of their first year on a snowboard were hiking the Chin at Stowe with me.

He expressed his opinion of what he thinks is a better tool for him. To make a blanket statement that one is the definitive "superior snow tool" than the other is nonsense. Maybe it is for you, but it's not the superior snow tool for everyone.
You seem so offended by this.. we are only talking about wood we strap to our feet, why take it so personally.

BenedictGomez

Please explain why various military groups use skis rather than snowboards?
Please explain why backcountry rescue is probably something like 98% skiers?

I think (or at least thought) the reason is pretty obvious.

Skis ARE a "superior snow tool" there's really not a debate to be had, and it's not an anti-snowboarder statement and it's not an "opinion", it's a fact.

Snowboards simply have significant, real world, all-mountain practical limitations that skis do not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You seem so offended by this.. we are only talking about wood we strap to our feet, why take it so personally.

Not offended in the slightest. I ski. I just think your opinion is just yours and not shared by everyone. If it was than no one would snowboard.

Skis ARE a "superior snow tool" there's really not a debate to be had, and it's not an anti-snowboarder statement and it's not an "opinion", it's a fact.

Snowboards simply have significant, real world, all-mountain practical limitations that skis do not.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the fact that skis are better for military and SAR purposes, that that makes it a "fact" that skis are the better tool for everyone to use to travel down a mountain.

There are no "facts" when it's up to the individual to decide what the best tool for the job is. Some people prefer snowboards as the best tool for getting down the mountain. Try convincing them that skis are better "tools". You can't because for them, skis are not the better "tools".

STREETSKIER

I think its very simple. Skis are a superior tool and the younguns no longer think its ghey. I can agree with one thing in the article, ticket prices being exorbitent, especially for the young and struggling.
You r a superior tool

dmc

Tool for what? For having fun? For mountain rescue?

Skis were created 100's of years ago for utility... Delivering mail... Attacking the next town over....
Snowboarding was created just for fun... Not other reason..

And I'm really OK with this... I actually snowboard just to have fun..

And for BC - I do use a split board so I can split anywhere a skier can. In fact most skiers like to skin behind me because on the sweet tracks I lay down on the skin..

fbrissette

Tool for what? For having fun? For mountain rescue?

Skis were created 100's of years ago for utility... Delivering mail... Attacking the next town over....
Snowboarding was created just for fun... Not other reason..

And I'm really OK with this... I actually snowboard just to have fun..

And for BC - I do use a split board so I can split anywhere a skier can. In fact most skiers like to skin behind me because on the sweet tracks I lay down on the skin..

I you do one up and down run, yes that is correct. Once you have to do several ups and down, you'll waste a shit load of time waiting for transitions (one of my best backcountry pal is on a split board).

Leaving for the haute route (Chamonix-Zermatt) in 10 days. We could NOT find a single experienced guide to accept a splitboard on that trek. On some days, speed is the essence to avoid snow instability in the afternoon, and all contacted guides said that splitboarding was not safe on this classic route which require several transitions per day. As a skier I can remove skins and be ready to go in 60 seconds.

dmc

I you do one up and down run, yes that is correct. Once you have to do several ups and down, you'll waste a shit load of time waiting for transitions (one of my best backcountry pal is on a split board).

Leaving for the haute route (Chamonix-Zermatt) in 10 days. We could NOT find a single experienced guide to accept a splitboard on that trek. On some days, speed is the essence to avoid snow instability in the afternoon, and all contacted guides said that splitboarding was not safe on this classic route which require several transitions per day. As a skier I can remove skins and be ready to go in 60 seconds.

My friends don't complain about my transition time..

And my friends that Tele did the Haute Rt a few years ago - it was only AT gear..
Tele was rare from what I heard.. I know people that split a ton of routes...

But...
whatever... Skiers win.... Is that what you want? because again... I'm good with that..

C-Rex

I snowboard, and I've never skied. Not even once. I snowboard because I prefer standing sideways and "riding" a board rather than having it be an extension of my feet. The less natural motion makes it feel like more of an accomplishment when it's done right. I guess I relate it to skateboarding vs roller blading. I did both as a kid, and while I was better at roller blading, that was because the natural balance and position of it made it easier. I got way more satisfaction out of skateboarding even though I was limited in what I could do on one.

Before anyone freaks out, I'm not saying that one is harder than the other, or anything like that. It's just how I, personally, feel about it. I do agree that skis are a better mountain "tool". But tools are for work, and I prefer fun. I'll admit that I have recently considered learning to ski because I want to get into the side and backcountry more. But I have to say that the big reason I haven't, is because so many skiers are such douche-bags about it. And I'm not just talking about Morwax, I have friends with the same attitude, and it's just lame. Not everything is a competition. If I wanted to compete, I'd sign up for races and park comps. I prefer to just have fun and compete with myself. Setting a new personal best is alway more satisfying than beating another person anyway.

dmc

C-Rex... come out to the BC with me sometime..
My tele crew is cool with riders...

Status
Not open for further replies.