• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just moved from CO anyone for Greylock Saturday?

Berg

Hello my name is Mike. I have been living in Colorado for the past 13 years and snowboard quite often. I have done a lot of my riding in the backcountry. In addition to previous years with side country, car shuttle and lots of trees at the resorts, my primary means of snowboarding has been earning my turns with the splitboard for the last 5 years. So I have all the gear, Avy 1 class and many days of analyzing snow. That said I think I am starting to get the shakes from a lack of backcountry this year. With a new daughter and longer drives and previously not so great snowpack, it has not been easy to ride enough. I got the go ahead to go Saturday and wish to find people to go with to Greylock. I live in Longmeadow MA and could meet people and ride up together or just meet at the hill.

Thank you,

Mike

C-Rex

Damn, I wish I didn't have plans, I'd definitely go to Greylock with you. Maybe next time. A splitboard is on my list and might be a tax return purchase. I've been wanting to hit Greylock for a couple years now. This is the first time the snow has been good enough. PM me when you go again. I'd love to get out with someone that knows the ropes. I live in CT too so I'm not far for car pooling purposes.

If you want a great place to eat after your runs, hit The Olde Forge Restaurant. It's only like 15 min from Greylock. Great beer selection and awesome food.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hi Mike,

Welcome to AZ. Sorry I can't help you on the Greylock situation. Wanted to say welcome aboard and welcome to the East Coast.

Next year I'm also interested in beginning to explore backcountry... I might be looking for some compatriots.

Berg

Thanks for the welcome Nick and thanks for the info on the food C-Rex. I am looking for people to go with for future snowboarding so maybe we can meet up some other time. It has been a busy winter and time and money is limiting my riding a little this year but I will surely be going up to the mountains some times beyond this weekend. I have not yet been to Greylock and was also wondering that if I don't hear from anyone in the next few days are there generally people there to join if I show up early?

Wavewheeler

I am just curious as to why you moved here FROM Colorado? I want to move west in a few years. Of course, I live in NJ and everyone is leaving here..:lol:

Welcome to AZ. You picked a great winter to move here to the East! Thanks for bringing snow with you! :thumbup: :snow:

Berg

Thanks for the link. Will check it out again later for some reason couldn't find the forum part. That will be good though to join and volunteer for some cleaning up of the trail

I moved hear as I am from eastern MA and my wife is from western MA. We just moved to be closer to family. Skiing will be a bit different. Whitewater kayaking around me is quite good though. Colorado is a great place to live. Definitely missing friends and the places we used to go.

Berg

Your welcome for bringing the snow too. I wasn't too greedy though and left plenty in Colorado for my friends.

legalskier

Too bad you aren't closer to Hunter- you could hook up with dmc. He does BC splitboarding there.

Wavewheeler

Thanks for the link. Will check it out again later for some reason couldn't find the forum part. That will be good though to join and volunteer for some cleaning up of the trail

I moved hear as I am from eastern MA and my wife is from western MA. We just moved to be closer to family. Skiing will be a bit different. Whitewater kayaking around me is quite good though. Colorado is a great place to live. Definitely missing friends and the places we used to go.

Understood. It's my kids that have kept me here. In 2 years that will change and I want to head west. You are in a better area than I. I went to college for a year in western Mass and it's nice there. Enjoy! :)

DPhelan

hoping to get up on saturday or sunday, i'll PM you when plans get solidified. it's a fun skin with a great view on clear days. probably going to be a zoo since conditions have been lousy for most of the season...until now!

Berg

Thanks will talk to the wife but should be able to go either day just please let me know when you know.

Legal- will make it out to caskills and Eastern Adirondacks at some point either this season or next. Thanks

amf

If you can't connect with anyone, just go anyway! I'm sure there will be plenty of folks out there. When the Bolt is in, you just go after it.

Berg

Thanks everyone. Finalizing plans but will get it done thanks to all the advise here.

ski220

Going SUNDAY. With 1 or 2 buds.

krow Saturday. No way around it.

Let me know. I'll show you around.

Berg

I am going to just head up tomorrow. Thank you for the invite. By the way what does krow mean? Also crispy? I am confused but that is nothing out of the ordinary tend to get confused quite a bit.

Thanks,

Mike

MadMadWorld

I am going to just head up tomorrow. Thank you for the invite. By the way what does krow mean? Also crispy? I am confused but that is nothing out of the ordinary tend to get confused quite a bit.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry Mike, I should have said crusty. I'm sure Greylock saw some sleet in the middle of the storm. Also a bit of a freeze/thaw. It will probably be better up top then lower down. For a BC tour it's a gem. Have fun!

Berg

Sorry Mike, I should have said crusty. I'm sure Greylock saw some sleet in the middle of the storm. Also a bit of a freeze/thaw. It will probably be better up top then lower down. For a BC tour it's a gem. Have fun!

No problem. It was very nice today. The snow was quite good at the better part of the run. Looked like many people enjoyed the hill today and I will be back.