• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keeping an eye on Windham

cdskier

IKON reservations are no longer available for any weekend day (sold out) through early March
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ikonpass/comments/18xra66

Yea...that's pretty crazy. Windham must be massively limiting the number of Ikon reservations. I can make reservations at places like Deer Valley, JH, Aspen, etc on pretty much any day I want right now but Windham is sold out every weekend? No way they're really that popular of an Ikon destination. Something is fishy about this...

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

IKON reservations are full for every weekend day through early March
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ikonpass/comments/18xra66
Was considering switching to Ikon next year since they added 2 PA options - better than any
of Epic's. But if their Catskills option is becoming this inaccessible it scuttles that plan, as I would need a more exciting than Poconos option that was closer than VT for this to be a viable alternative to Epic.

raisingarizona

Yea...that's pretty crazy. Windham must be massively limiting the number of Ikon reservations. I can make reservations at places like Deer Valley, JH, Aspen, etc on pretty much any day I want right now but Windham is sold out every weekend? No way they're really that popular of an Ikon destination. Something is fishy about this...
I think they are slowly going to move it towards being near completely private with a seriously unattainable option for outsiders.

KustyTheKlown

Yea, the only thing maybe surprising about this move is that they did it this season. I figured next season they would do this, and then fully off ikon the next. Tho I have no idea how long they’re committed to being involved contractually.

cdskier

I think they are slowly going to move it towards being near completely private with a seriously unattainable option for outsiders.

That's going to be interesting to see if that actually works. I don't think a place like Windham can survive being completely private. But maybe I'm under-estimating the demand from rich people for basic groomer skiing without crowds within roughly 2 hours of the NYC metro area...

raisingarizona

That's going to be interesting to see if that actually works. I don't think a place like Windham can survive being completely private. But maybe I'm under-estimating the demand from rich people for basic groomer skiing without crowds within roughly 2 hours of the NYC metro area...
Yeah, I'm not sure but I think there's a chance it could fly, maybe especially for family's and kid programs etc.

KustyTheKlown

i think you underestimate the demand for uncrowded well groomed 1500 vertical blue cruiser skiing near nyc. stratton used to cater to this demographic, and hermitage for the fancier set. but stratton is pretty crowded on your typical weekend these days, and i think a hermitage situation half the distance from nyc north jersey and greenwich-westport could do pretty ok for itself.

sucks to lose windham tho. its a reliable easy day trip when i just wanna ski anything. fast chair. decent vertical.

zyk

Curious as to where displaced Windham patrons will go. Hunter is closest but how much more traffic can they absorb? Plattekill when it's good it's fantastic, but smaller and limited. Probably can't absorb much. Belleayre looks like a winner, but also already busy. Maybe Catamount wins on this one as well.

BenedictGomez

Curious as to where displaced Windham patrons will go.
Someplace easy with groomers, unnecessarily expensive items, and an outlet to engage in a certain level of snootyness to boost one's self-esteem. Stratton?

Last edited:

crank

So what can Alterra do to maintain a decent hill in the Cats? Buy Windham outright?

That would be cool then it would be unlimited. Not that I would ever spend more than a day or so there per season. I guess if I go it will have to be a weekday.

jimmywilson69

I'm really shocked that they think the private angle can work and in such a dramatic short amount of time. Kind of crazy to think that a mainstay of the Catskills can just disappear from the peasants like us...

urungus

I am going to try to visit Windham some weekday this winter for the first and probably last time before the common folk get shut out completely. Any recommendations on the hardest and any other “must ski” trails, or other activities/sights/food/bars on the mountain ?

KustyTheKlown

I am going to try to visit Windham some weekday this winter for the first and probably last time before the common folk get shut out completely. Any recommendations on the hardest and any other “must ski” trails, or other activities/sights/food/bars on the mountain ?

the trails are essentially all the same. think stratton.

cdskier

the trails are essentially all the same. think stratton.

Yea...the ones all the way on the left and right are probably the "best", but there's not a whole ton of variation or anything I would consider "must ski".

KustyTheKlown

my favorite is that they label an area of their trail map the 'wilderness bowl' but its actually just super thick trees that are far too dense to ski. so weird.

raisingarizona

I'm really shocked that they think the private angle can work and in such a dramatic short amount of time. Kind of crazy to think that a mainstay of the Catskills can just disappear from the peasants like us...
Surprised? If climate science is correct this is the future for the ski industry.

KustyTheKlown

i was thinking maybe the days were blocked off bc you need to ski 2 days - thats the new day pass model, 2 day minimums. but nope, the weekends are just either sold out or otherwise blocked off.

the last 2 weekends of march are still available. i reserved them just to have the option. their booking ends april 1.

PAabe

Wheelchair is fun if it's not groomed especially if you are riding up the lift and everyone is wiping out