• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - 1/26/18 recovery mode

speden

Hit Killington today. The Beast is doing a good job of getting the trails back in shape after the rain/deep freeze cycle. The trail count is way down, but there's lots of snowmaking going on, and they've done a good job of grooming the open trails to loosen up some snow on the surface. The trees and bumps look to be out of play, so they will need a lot of snow to really fix everything.

Conditions were quite variable, with some big ice patches here and there, while other trails were powdery with fresh manmade. The snowmaking piles also kept things fun. I found that Bear and Skye Peak had the best conditions, and the other side of the valley such as Snowden had much more funky and icy conditions. Some trails I tried off the K-1 were also decent.

This is the first skiing I've done since my trip out west, so I've got the hangover effect of that and need to get back into east coast mode. As I was skiing some Killington blue trails I kept thinking, "This is too easy; it would only be a green circle at Jackson Hole!"

The steeper trails skied very nicely in the morning, but inevitably were scraped off quite a bit by early afternoon and became a lot less fun. The base is very firm, so sharp turns on the scraped off sections wasn't usually a good idea. Kind of felt like typical WaWa thaw/freeze conditions, except maybe not quite that bad. Saw a few skiers in distress and one injury, so that's deja vu for WaWa as well.

It was blue skies and sunny all day, with temps a little on the chilly side. I wore my warmest base layer and gloves, and felt comfortable all day since it didn't really warm up much. Crowds were fairly light and no lines to speak of on the lifts.

speden

Some pics from today.
f18138cf19d9281d02c434f04a747551.jpg
b47d7385e7b1573502be808633cd684a.jpg
5ad47e028b56b0ded519ab54e043aab6.jpg
964cb7f9756b0ea1c51268d1fcbc33c9.jpg
e34354a906b1b5f884d28656aaa48634.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app