• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2016-7: It's On!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Killington passed snow control check this morning for the World Cup races! Game on!
Kuddos to the awesome snowmakers at K for pulling this off in what has been an often challenging last month or so of snowmaking windows and temps!!

So now that they have passed the control check, do they stop making snow on the course? It seems like they may need a refresher after the warm weather of the next few days.

And that is cool that your kid gets to participate in some of the activities.

tumbler

So now that they have passed the control check, do they stop making snow on the course? It seems like they may need a refresher after the warm weather of the next few days.

I bet no more snowmaking, the thaw/freeze is exactly what they want!

drjeff

My guess is that once they get the temps later this weekend, they'll lay down, especially down low, another 24 to maybe as much as 48hrs of thick, wet snow, quickly plow it out and let it set up to see if they need to inject it or not on Wed/Thursday. Probably won't be the full "120 gun salute" that Superstar got as they were making the snow they've already done, and then Skye/Bitter get lit up for training lanes for the WC athlete's with some of the capacity they had for Superstar, but won't need to touch up a few areas.

My kids are really psyched about the opportunity they're getting with the parade. I can only image how many selfies and regular pictures my almost 13yr old daughter will be taking during the parade and inside the fencing around the finish area prior to the race!! :rolleyes: :lol:

SIKSKIER

And the mens world cup was cancelled in Lake Louise.Interesting because those races dont begin until Nov 26th a full 10 days from the announcment.The snowmaking system must be pretty subpar unless a huge heatwave is coming for them.

SIKSKIER

I bet no more snowmaking, the thaw/freeze is exactly what they want!

With snowmaking now mostly concluded on Superstar trail, the World Cup race venue, Killington snowmakers will work to add a training run for World Cup racers on Skye Lark while also connecting open ski terrain to K-1, Snowshed and Ramshead base areas for public use, and adding more beginner and intermediate terrain ahead of the holiday period.

SIKSKIER

The grandstands are now visible on the Superstar cam.Looks like there will no view at all on that cam for the races.Oh and they finally turned the peak view cam back to where it belongs.

Jully

With snowmaking now mostly concluded on Superstar trail, the World Cup race venue, Killington snowmakers will work to add a training run for World Cup racers on Skye Lark while also connecting open ski terrain to K-1, Snowshed and Ramshead base areas for public use, and adding more beginner and intermediate terrain ahead of the holiday period.

They'll use those extra compressors for as long as they have them it sounds like!

mriceyman

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1479415116.452507.jpg

Copper calling out killington.. meanwhile k has been open for 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

The cancelled DH at lake Louise vs the races at Killington are 2 completely different animals to run. Killington, pretty much as long as they have the hill ready on Nov 25 for the 1st run course setting, that's perfectly fine. It's a bit less than a mile of trail to cover and even before they brought in the extra compressors, K already had a massive snowmaking system in place.

With the DH course at LL, they need to have it 100% ready 4 to 5 days before the event, as they need to set the gates, have a day of inspection, then ideally 3 days of training runs and then finally race day, plus you're talking about a roughly 2 mile long course they need to cover, with a system that in all likelihood isn't as powerful as the one that K now has just for Superstar, as historically between having over a month to make snow and natural snowfall, getting the speed courses at LL race ready isn't a big deal, so they haven't invested the extra $$ in putting in a MASSIVE snowmaking system on the course

drjeff

View attachment 21008

Copper calling out killington.. meanwhile k has been open for 3 weeks

Copper

Not sure why they tried to troll K? Maybe the mutual owner thing?

Copper has been skiing, just not open to the general public for a couple of weeks - just been open to the US and other national ski teams as well as a few high level ski academies and college race teams

dlague

And the mens world cup was cancelled in Lake Louise.Interesting because those races dont begin until Nov 26th a full 10 days from the announcment.The snowmaking system must be pretty subpar unless a huge heatwave is coming for them.

I mentioned in my Loveland Trip report that was probably going to be the case since the Lake Louise ski team was skiing at Loveland. I spoke to them and they said they have little to no snow! They said they normally have several storms by now and generally not a problem.

mriceyman

Winter just starting to crank up storms.. about 2 weeks late for these races tho

Jully

They should move it to the East!!!!

Honestly if Colorado continues to have early snow troubles (And the entire west to some extent) it wouldn't shock me if FIS moved a different race east to a northern-ish resort with some snowmaking firepower. If Sugarloaf ever finishes Caribou pond they could be a contender. Do Tremblant, Massif or Sainte Anne have significant snowmaking capabilities? Of course the downhill events in both LL and Birds of Prey are the problems for taking an event east.

Of course its up in the air if K will even get the race again next year. Wasn't this year just a substitution?