• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 4-25-10 .....it's the Final Countdown

deadheadskier

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, April 25th, 2010

Resort or Ski Area: The BEAST

Conditions: Sunny, Bluebird, 65

Trip Report:

Challenging, but great finish to the season. Over the weekend I developed a massive tooth ache, brutal enough to bring Chuck Norris to his knees. I spent last night at my brother's in Woodstock and all the modern chemistry he had at his disposal wasn't helping. But, I wasn't going to let that stop me.

Woke up at 8:30AM to perfect bluebird skies. As the forecast was calling for clouds and rain, I was in no rush to get over to the mighty K. Should've been there for opening bell as the weather was SWEET. Got to the Superstar chair at 10 and clicked in right next to AndyZ. Rode up and skied my first run down Skylark/Bittersweet with he and his wife. Was good to see her skiing confidently as the only time I've skied with Andy and his wife was last winter at Sugarbush and she was coming off an ankle injury.

Next run did Skylark to lower Skylark. Lower had the best bumps on the hill I thought. All the bumps I skied were cut in pretty deep, real staircase style bumps. Given the throb in my face, I pretty much skied like crap all day, but was happy to be out there. Ovation was next, which had about 50 feet of walking midway down and 100 feet on the runout back to Superstar. 4th run was Superstar top to bottom. Good lines here and there, but in general HUGE staircase style bumps. Saw some folks killing it though, including the Hammer.

Hit up the car after that for some vitamin beer to try and sooth my tooth. Back up and ran into Andy again and enjoyed a nice run with him, after which he brought down the Bay 1 crew for some lunch. Great crowd of people, many of whom I was happy to meet for the first time. Mrs. G, Skibumstress, MrsMoose, BigBob, Shortski, Skidork, Geoff. All were super friendly and I appreciate the great hospitality with beers and grilled delights. Geoff even offered to rip my tooth out with some pliers, but I declined. :grin:

Finished up the day with a couple of runs with RustyK and a friend of his. I hadn't been to K in ten years. I'll be back next winter both mid-season and late season. Good folks and great vibe. I felt bad for the regulars having to hang it up today before I visited today. After spending such a great day in the sun with all of them, I can appreciate their frustration even more looking up at a wall to wall top to bottom Superstar that could easily go for two more weeks. The place was busy today. I'd say 50/50 pass holders to day tickets. At least one ass in 95% of the chairs going up.

Now for some more liquid relief and hopefully an accommodating dentist first thing in the morning.......

Thanks to all the K folk for making me feel right at home. :daffy:

mondeo

How long did you stay for? I didn't get out until around 2. Definately caught a break with the weather.

gmcunni

i looked at the forecast last night and decided to bag it. guess killington mgt and I have something in common, making bad decisions based on weather forecasts..

glad you got a great day!

deadheadskier

Staff member
How long did you stay for? I didn't get out until around 2. Definately caught a break with the weather.

split at 2. wanted to get home to a bottle of tequila to numb my tooth :lol:

off to the dentist I go...

Puck it

i looked at the forecast last night and decided to bag it. guess killington mgt and I have something in common, making bad decisions based on weather forecasts..

glad you got a great day!

I did the same. Looked at the weather report on Sat. night and bagged. Crap, I should of went.

maineskier69

I feel you pain Deadhead. I had a tooth start throbbing on me when we were out in Utah, I wrote it off as an altitude thing as it went away by the next day. A few weeksi later we visiting my inlaws down in the Bahamas and the tooth throb came back, this time it didnt go away. Got bad enough that a waitress at a restaurant we were at made me an appointment with a reputable dentist down there. After an examination & x rays she told me I needed a root canal and gave me a script for some 800mg Ibuprofrin and and some antibiotics. Luckily my father in law had a stash of percocet to hold me over. The pain before the procedure was much worse than the procedure itself. Dont look foward to having another one soon.