• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington and Pico 1/8/15

medfordmike

I took a day off from work today to take advantage of the last day Pico pass holders could ski Killington without a charge. Arrived at K early and was ready to go when they started the lifts. Around 11 degrees when I pulled in to blue skies and little wind at the base. About 30 when I left. I started at Snowdon and worked my way over to Needles and then back to K1. Coverage was great on everything I hit and conditions were pretty consistent due to their huge efforts at grooming and snowmaking. Some of the snow was a little crusty at first on the Skye peak trails but nothing to complain about, just noticeable to Snowdon.

It was a little windy on Northridge and at the top of the Superstar lift but no real issues. Everything groomed was great and mountain ops deserves a lot of credit for how much they have opened. The only lift line I saw was for the gondola which I didn't use anyway. It is college week but the student crowd didn't seem to roll in until around 10:30 or 11. I stayed until just after lunch time then headed over to Pico for a late lunch and to finish up the day on 49er which just opened today.

Coverage on 49er was very good and no ice to be found anywhere. KA was getting snowmaking and it looked really far along. The wet weather coming in on Sunday is unfortunate for everyone since it looks like mountains are finally catching up. Really a great day with no qualifiers like "for this season".

A poor quality photo from the Superstar lift:

IMG_0785.jpg

Look down 49er at Pico:
IMG_0786.jpg

A big thank you to Mike S. and Co. for allowing usage of Killington to Pico folks while they get more terrain opened. They didn't need to do it but it was a nice gesture and good customers service.

steamboat1

Lunch time was a good time to leave. I was surprised at how crowded it got. When I left at noon the Killington lot was just about full, quite a few cars in the Ramshead & Snowshed lots too. Skiing was alright but a little scratchy in places. I found conditions up north to be better the days before, probably due to less traffic.

SkiRay

Mike, How did I miss you? I was there... Did you see a guy in a green jacket?

medfordmike

Mike, How did I miss you? I was there... Did you see a guy in a green jacket?

I must have if you were there from around 1-3:30 but by the end of the day I can't recall specifics! There was only like a 100 of us on the entire mountain :razz:. I have a locker this year so I don't boot up in the lodge but I did have lunch on the second floor. Aside from that I basically lapped 49er with a few top to bottom trips to break it up.

medfordmike

So do we.. Ok. We are getting together next week then!

I am in CA next weekend (MLK) for a wedding of a good friend but will be back at Pico the Saturday morning the following weekend and maybe the Friday afternoon if I can move some things around at work. Would be fun to do some runs with you.

SkiRay