• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Friday, 11/10/2006 (contingent on opening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Greg....you were right...I shouldn't have looked. :<

So, my bust-arse efforts Friday to score rock skies, get them mounted up...get the boots ground down a bit...and get the skis tuned was (sort of) a waste of effort eh? Well....I'll be "ready" whenever.

On an up-note...the trip to NY City was pretty cool. Just got back. I'm posting a review now in the "trips" forum.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Find it kind of hard to believe that Killington wouldn't open this week:

normal_PB040043.JPG
normal_PB040036.JPG

normal_PB040032.JPG

BeanoNYC

You earn some turns this weekend?

I sure hope it's open. Not only was I looking forward to skiing, I was looking forward to seeing you guys. I spent the entire weekend catching up on work so I could go with a clean conscience.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
You earn some turns this weekend?

I sure hope it's open. Not only was I looking forward to skiing, I was looking forward to seeing you guys. I spent the entire weekend catching up on work so I could go with a clean conscience.

Yeah, got some turns in. But to be honest, I earned more falls than turns :) Looked real nice up top, some snow on the bottom, not much, but looked like enough too cool the ground real good. Gotta run now. Later

bvibert

Staff member
Nice pics Andy! Like you said, it's hard to believe that they won't be open...

Greg

Staff member
Contingency Plans

Okay folks - it's pretty clear to me that Killington will not be an option on Friday; unless a miracle happens, and/or they figure out a way to download. With that said, I'd really, really like to ski with y'all on Friday. Not a whole lot of options, but here goes:
  1. Move the venue to Sunday River, provided they open this week
  2. Earn turns at Killington
  3. Postpone this thing and propose a new Killington gathering date
Option 1 is definitely on the table for me. I would need to stay over somewhere up North on Thursday night, which already is worked out. If SR is open with lift-serviced skiing, I am down despite the frightening long ride for one or two runs. I would be doing this just out of spite actually; kinda like a "somehow, some way, I'm gonna ski" mentaility.

Option 2 doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Certainly not that I couldn't swing the hike physically or wouldn't enjoy it, but more due to the fact that a 3:30 drive to ski a few runs on ungroomed mounds of manmade snow doesn't sound worth it. However, if a decent number of folks in this group want to do that, I'll go.

As much as I hate to say it, option 3 seems the most reasonable. The only day that really looks feasible for me right now is Saturday, Nov. 25, T-Day weekend. That was a planned ski day for me anyway and if this option is open to others, I'll just work this Friday instead of "forcing" a ski day.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Okay folks - it's pretty clear to me that Killington will not be an option on Friday; unless a miracle happens, and/or they figure out a way to download. With that said, I'd really, really like to ski with y'all on Friday. Not a whole lot of options, but here goes:
Option 1 is definitely on the table for me. I would need to stay over somewhere up North on Thursday night, which already is worked out. If SR is open with lift-serviced skiing, I am down despite the frightening long ride for one or two runs. I would be doing this just out of spite actually; kinda like a "somehow, some way, I'm gonna ski" mentaility.

Option 2 doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Certainly not that I couldn't swing the hike physically or wouldn't enjoy it, but more due to the fact that a 3:30 drive to ski a few runs on ungroomed mounds of manmade snow doesn't sound worth it. However, if a decent number of folks in this group want to do that, I'll go.

As much as I hate to say it, option 3 seems the most reasonable. The only day that really looks feasible for me right now is Saturday, Nov. 25, T-Day weekend. That was a planned ski day for me anyway and if this option is open to others, I'll just work this Friday instead of "forcing" a ski day.

I can do any one right now.

Sunday River was my likely back up. But tonight I got some very bad news....one of the cars has a transmission that is about the break :roll: :angry: So that will screw up things $$$ and car wise. So if SR opens this weekend, I may or may not come. Will see.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I would take Sunday River as an option provided they have more than 1 or 2 trails open. But after being at Killington this weekend, I find it really hard to believe that they will not open. I think we should have a far better idea by Wednesday.

madskier6

The forecast has changed slightly & while it still doesn't look good, there's less of a chance of rain and the temps on the mountain won't exceed 50. Temps also start to get colder for snowmaking later in the week at night.

Tonight: A slight chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Monday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 39. West wind between 7 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 38. Southwest wind between 7 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

Tuesday: A slight chance of showers after 1pm. Partly cloudy, with a high near 43. Southwest wind between 13 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday Night: A chance of showers, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. South wind 15 to 18 mph decreasing to between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 46.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.

Thursday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 43.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Friday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 38.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Veteran's Day: Partly cloudy, with a high near 40.

I may be grapsing at straws but let's be positive here folks!! It may still be a long shot but I'll be at K on Friday 11/10 if they're open. I'm not giving up yet!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Madskier: that is consistent with what I have been seeing and reading. Cooler temps and hopefully they will only get cooler.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I may be grapsing at straws but let's be positive here folks!! It may still be a long shot but I'll be at K on Friday 11/10 if they're open. I'm not giving up yet!

this is not a matter of being positive or negative but rather simply looking at the facts. they still are not blowing snow on the lower mountain. it doen't matter what the temperature is, if they don't blow the snow (and the best forecasted time to do so on lower mountain is quickly expiring) then they don't open this week.

bvibert

Staff member

I'm up for either one.

SR will be a heck of drive home, but might be worth it to get some turns in.

The earning your turns idea sounds kinda good to me, but like you said it is a long way to go for a little amount of skiing on less than ideal conditions. I'm sure it would be fun though!

I should be able to make the 25th if that's what it come down to.

Grassi21

Ideally, K-Mart will be open and we will have our gathering. But here is what I think of the options presented:

Option 1 - I'm down with Sunday River.
Option 2 - I would have to bail on earning turns. I will explain why in a second.
Option 3 - This would be fine with me. I could do 11/25.

For 11/10, my big thing is lift serviced. I have 2 vacation days left until the new year and I would like to use them for lift serviced days.

Sky

It's looking like if it's not K for lift service....I'm out.

As much as I'm pumped for Friday...I'd rather take the day later in the season.

I've got family coming for Thanksgiving....so that weekend is out for me.

I'm still hoping for better weather (re: a miracle) this week @ K.

SR is a slim possibility....very slim.

roark

I could possibly do SR on friday. Bob - I'll have to catch up with you later, someone made plans for me this weekend... :angry:

Could hike at K... might be the incentive I need to get my butt in better shape.

Not sure where I'll be for the 25th...

Vortex

I have no chance or getting out any day mid week this week. Staffing issues.I had to change some other plans (ie Rat Dog at Foxwoods.) to take care of work. Sat I'll be at the River.... hilking if necessary. Sunday my son has a cross country Race. Sat is my only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.