• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington: November 24, 2006 (Season Opener on "White" Friday)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: November 24, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Early Season--MG/PP/FG

AZer's Present: thetrailboss, Andy_Zee, Mrs. Zee, BeanoNYC, Colin (brother-in-law of BeanoNYC)

Trip Report: It finally came. Better late than never. Hiking season has ended and skiing has begun. The 2006-2007 season began in earnest and it was a day that almost didn't happen for two reasons. First, and obviously, the weather as of late has been more conducive to lawn mowing and hiking than skiing and boarding. And second, TB almost had no car...but thanks to the service folks at Saturn of White River, I was on the road and the Trailboss Ski Mobile was back to normal. :beer:

There's been some grumbling about Killington and snowmaking. So expectations were high. In typical Killington style, they delivered and delivered big. Three mountain areas were open with seven lifts and seventeen trails. Most runs were edge-to-edge.

And my good luck continued....I had to park at Vale, but the bus was there and I got on. Sitting across from me was none other than Beano and his buddy. Whoa, what a coincidence. I had called him earlier...but this was great to meet him on the bus.

We met up with the Zee's and then hit the Snowdon Triple. After a shot of Jaegermeister on the lift (compliments of AZ), TB got his gaper moment over with by stumbling on the unload and driving his left ski up the a$$ of a snowboarder who was in the unloading area. :oops: :roll: :lol: I apologized and insisted that I did know how to ski.

"Things are getting chewed up, but Bunny Buster has been the best today," said AZ, so we hit it. Nice turns for me...my legs felt good. We did three or four laps on the Poma. Beano and Colin were able to ride it with ease.

From there we took Killink to the Glades Area. The line was long, but it moved pretty quickly. We hit Rime (nice soft bumps in the middle), Double Dipper to East Fall, another spin down Rime, and then Great Northern to a crowded and icy Mousetrap. My rock skis came in handy...I was able to avoid the hordes by staying to skier's right. Colin enjoyed popping some nice jumps on Great Northern.

We took the Snowdon Quad back to the top and popped off a couple of laps on the Poma before heading back to the Gondi. For some reason the Poma was having a problem...it would stop for a solid three or four minutes at a time. :blink: After one last run down Chute, Andy and his wife headed to KBL while Beano, Colin, and I took the Gondi for one more run down Great Northern. I pointed out some landmarks and then headed back to KBL.

We parted at 2:15pm or so. A great day...great conditions...and these folks are awesome to ski with...even if Colin sprays you with his hockey stops :wink: :lol: :beer:

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Nice! Great to see another group of AZers getting out and making some turns together. Glad you got the car thing worked out, Trailboss.

thetrailboss

Staff member
AndyZee has posted some pictures from this weekend on another site.

My favorite:

Trailboss, Colin, and Beano in action:

PB240029.JPG

(Note the big smiles)

And Beano taking a breather:

PB240030.JPG

BeanoNYC

Great trip report, TB. The next day at Killington was a bit more crowded and a bit more bumped up in the "choke" areas. Great time overall. It was great skiing with you guys.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Marc was up this weekend? Good thing I missed him....although how did I? He must have had his goats :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is not a more motley crew on the slopes than this bunch!

CIMG1080.JPG

Ah, yes. Excited to be RIDING THE POMA again! :beer: :D Note the "Princess Diana" Wave as I zipped by....going too fast for the paparazzi!

CIMG1083.JPG

Thanks Rich. Let's do it again!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Marc was up this weekend? Good thing I missed him....although how did I? He must have had his goats :wink:

I was up there Saturday. Only did one or two runs off the K1, stayed mostly with the NRT, the Poma and the Snowdon Quad. I almost brought a radio with me too, but forgot it at the last moment.

Did anyone have their ears on 3-13 this weekend?