• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Opening at NOON on SUNDAY October 18th!

Newpylong

The Heavenly stairs are like walking back to your truck if you're parked in the back of the lot. To each their own but it's not a hard walk lol.

steamboat1

K must feel confident they've laid down a substantial enough base to stay open since they've shut the guns off. Could also be it's warmed up to much already.

skiNEwhere

Ok, so where are all these pics? If I'm not gonna ski I wanna try and ski vicariously through someone else

slatham

I find it strange the guns are off. It was 12 degrees at Mt Mansfield this AM so its not the temp. Either 1) they made enough to last the warm up or 2) they couldn't make enough to last the warm up so they cut their losses and called this pure marketing? Unless the base is 3'+ I'd say #2, but I haven't been there so have no idea what they have actually laid down. Anyone there yesterday who can comment on base depth?

BenedictGomez

pure marketing?

It's Killington. It's always pure marketing.

First to open WROD, Last to close WROD.

For the 1% of skiers who actually care about that, as well as for the uninformed masses who can be duped into thinking this matters to their January/February skiing experience.

Newpylong

Well it's 32 degrees at the base and 60% humidity - that's non snowmaking wet bulb. Assume a little better up top and they may feel it's not worth it.

slatham

Newpylong, Sugarbush was referenced - as was Mt Mansfield - due to it having current temperature observations at a similar elevation to the summit of Killington. The only Killington temp I can find is at the base, which is irrelevant. So Sugarbush's temps have everything to do with the question I was asking; "Why was Killington not making snow at 9am this morning with temps in the teens?"

To your point on the forecast, which I am well aware of, I think they gave up on trying to make enough snow to last through the warm up (the other argument - they made enough - I don't buy). We shall see - if they stay open through the warm spell then I will be proven wrong.

Wish they provided summit temps.......

Jcb890

I could not care less about the race and marketing aspect of it between Sunday River and Killington... I just think it is awesome that these places are open in mid-October!

I just sat here and watched the K-Cam for a few minutes while sitting at my desk. I'm jealous!

Newpylong

Newpylong, Sugarbush was referenced - as was Mt Mansfield - due to it having current temperature observations at a similar elevation to the summit of Killington. The only Killington temp I can find is at the base, which is irrelevant. So Sugarbush's temps have everything to do with the question I was asking; "Why was Killington not making snow at 9am this morning with temps in the teens?"

To your point on the forecast, which I am well aware of, I think they gave up on trying to make enough snow to last through the warm up (the other argument - they made enough - I don't buy). We shall see - if they stay open through the warm spell then I will be proven wrong.

Wish they provided summit temps.......

Temperatures at elevation at one area do not mean another area is the same. I lived in Waitsfield for 4 years - it was routinely in the single digits to teens up on Ellen and 20s down on K Peak.

But I bet they already spent above and beyond their budget for this early and decided it wasn't worth making more to see it melt.

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
From K tonight:

5:39 pm 10/19/15--It's a treat to have great skiing and riding in mid-October but there's no guarantee how long favorable weather will last; we suggest you get it while you can. On Tuesday you'll find us skiing and riding on 2 groomed runs in the North Ridge area or jibbing and jumping on 6 fresh features in the Reason Terrain Park. We plan to stay open for skiing and riding as long as conditions allow, but stay tuned right here for timely updates on our status - things can change rapidly this time of year.