• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington or whiteface for a beginner?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wouldn't say Lake Placid is "high end". It's probably no more expensive than Okemo.

But it is definitely "higher end" than Killington, which to me is really "low end" in terms of ambient and anything besides skiing. Nothing much to do after the lift close. Lake Placid is definitely one of the more interesting destination. But the skiing... not so much. Especially for beginners.

Still, why drive all the way when there must be several smaller mountains closer by? Someone mentioned Gore. I don't know about its beginner terrain. But it's a low key place. I think it's better than the mad house scene at Killington.

The only condition I would recommend Killington is if you're staying a whole week! By that point, your beginner will be quite improved. Then the vast terrain of Killington will be worthy of its fame.

Oh, there's also the small issue of Killington being in VT and you need to quarantine... Lake Placid and Gore are in New York.
Very good point on the quarantine.

And Killington's Access Road has (or maybe in this COVID era "had") lots of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.

mister moose

If you're thinking about a lesson for her, call ahead. Killington right now is privates only, so more expensive than usual. If she's only been once before a long time ago, at Killington start on one of the magic carpets until she gets turns down, Snowshed is great, but not if you can't turn in both directions. She'll tire out long before the day is over, look into other stuff to do (sleigh rides, Woodstock, skating, Simon Pierce, snowmobile rentals, etc) and stay at a place she'll like.

gladerider

you will do fine in either places. they both have beginners only trail tucked away. as people mentioned, Ram's head for Killington, and kids trail in Whiteface. Whiteface used to sell kids trail only ticket but not sure what they are doing with this covid. neither mountains are really for beginners. i wouldn't recommend killington's green trails for beginner snowboarders because many of them are flat and force beginners to walk a lot.

dblskifanatic

OP is from Syracuse.

Totally pointless to go further south than Killington
Bromley, Mount Snow, Magic, and Jiminy are quicker to get to from Syracuse than Killington - Okemo is equal to Killington

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bromley, Mount Snow, Magic, and Jiminy are quicker to get to from Syracuse than Killington - Okemo is equal to Killington
So, not to start WWIII, but I would not recommend Magic unless snow and terrain were in fact guaranteed. I support Magic and other independent areas (I am a Burkie) but I have to be realistic as to conditions and recognize limitations when making a recommendation.

dblskifanatic

So, not to start WWIII, but I would not recommend Magic unless snow and terrain were in fact guaranteed. I support Magic and other independent areas (I am a Burkie) but I have to be realistic as to conditions and recognize limitations when making a recommendation.

True! Conditions are a concern no matter where you go. Places that are larger are better prepared to recover beginner trails. Actually after looking at Magic, It has many beginner trails but not a significant beginner area. So retract Magic though it is still feasible. There was not mention of when so more snow might fall till then.

KustyTheKlown

magic is not the place for a true beginner. the step up from the learning area is the green chair and the easy way down is not easy by 2nd time ever skier standards.

KustyTheKlown

smuggs is really great for a beginner but the offload of the morse chair scared the shit out of my girlfriend. she could ski morse no problem, but the lift has a fairly high and steep offload, and the old chair doesn't slow down into the offload. the first time we took that chair together, she froze, did not stand up and ski off, and kept going. that chair has another pole before it turns around, so if you don't offload you keep going UP. she jumped off while her skis were at my eye level. i was shocked we didn't need to go to the hospital.

dblskifanatic

magic is not the place for a true beginner. the step up from the learning area is the green chair and the easy way down is not easy by 2nd time ever skier standards.

Agreed! Honestly, I never paid too much attention to that area. Was always center or skiers right.

Cornhead

If you're in Syracuse, why not try Song, Toggenburg, or Labrador? They're all pretty mellow and seem like good places for an almost never.

Tonyr

I have to say Killington - it has a wide beginner area that is away from traffic Snowshed and depending on how she does runs off Ramshead might be in order. But as mentioned earlier, a lesson might be the place to start.

My first question is, are you tied to Killington or Whiteface? There are much cheaper alternatives like Bromley, Magic, Jiminy. There is also Okemo or Mount Snow.
My wife and son learned to ski at Killington. The snowshed and ramshead areas are great for beginners. Killington also has great instructors. Bromley is also another good suggestion although I didn't find the cost much different from Killington.

BenedictGomez

Neither Killington, nor Whiteface are the best for beginners, but Whiteface has got to be the worst place possible for beginner terrain, so it's Killington by default in this two-choice question. It shouldnt even be a debate. Lake Placid is about infinity times better than Rutland though is skiing isnt your primary concern.

Cornhead

Neither Killington, nor Whiteface are the best for beginners, but Whiteface has got to be the worst place possible for beginner terrain, so it's Killington by default in this two-choice question. It shouldnt even be a debate. Lake Placid is about infinity times better than Rutland though is skiing isnt your primary concern.
I don't know, there is a separate beginner's area and lift, and lodge at WF. I never knew was there, Bearden. The only reason I even know about it is because my son and I accidentally skied to it one day. It is quite removed from the main base. That, imo, is a good thing, the last thing you need while learning is experienced skiers buzzing by.

asnowmobiler

I don't know, there is a separate beginner's area and lift, and lodge at WF. I never knew was there, Bearden. The only reason I even know about it is because my son and I accidentally skied to it one day. It is quite removed from the main base. That, imo, is a good thing, the last thing you need while learning is experienced skiers buzzing by.
I agree. That whole section on lookers right is a really nice secluded beginners area.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'd say both are poor choices. Too big and too expensive.

I'm not familiar with mountains up that way though. Maybe others can offer alternatives.
eh, Killington has fun Apres also that can make the whole experience more enjoyable. well at least pre COVID.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If those are really your only two-choices, I think Killington's Snowshed might be the best beginner area at a major ski area in the northeast.

Both Whiteface and Killington have exceptional après ski, but if you are looking for non-skiing activities as well. I would give Whiteface the nod.

(If cost is an issue and all you really want to do is learn how to ski, neither is a particularly good choice.)

rebel1916

Okemo many have more easy terrain than Killington, but it sure ain't equal. Nicer place to take your girlfriend probably though.