• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Trail Map - Did the Glades area change its name to "North Ridge"?

royski69

Killington Trail Map - Did the Glades area change its name to "North Ridge"?

Hey Everyone!
Great Forum! I've been reading for a little while, but I haven't seen any topics on this question:

When did Killington change the name of the "Glades" area to "North Ridge"? It's been a couple of years since we've visited Killington, but we have a trip planned for this February (coming from Delaware, we don't get up much! :cry: ).....

The "Glades" used to be the first area to open each season. Now, it looks like the area is called "North Ridge", and the East Glades and West Glades trails have also been renamed to "Reason" and "Pipeline". Rime is still the same as it was.....

When did this happen? My friends and I are map-obsessed :eek: , so we were just curious.
Thanks!

Greg

Staff member
I believe this year was the first for renaming the Glades to North Ridge.

sledhaulingmedic

The K-mart employees I've talked to say it all came from the marketing dept.

I suppose since the Glades haven't been glades in about 40 years, it might not be unreasonable to change the name.

Vortex

I think they may have a trail map in a couple of days and we can re discover Killington again. I went there Sat the 13 and it was like lifts and trail changes, but no map to explain the changes. Where am I.

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
I have a pretty good idea that it came from alot of folks. Not just marketing.

You'll notice that there are no glades in the former Glades areas, thats 1. Folks who would go look for the "glades" would sometimes end up OB to the west and spend the night, thats 2. It is on the opposite side of the peak as the South Ridge area, thus North Ridge, thats 3.

I think overall, it makes it simpler for folks who have never been to K. For folks who have, it is noteworthy, but not worth complaining about.

DJAK

thetrailboss

Staff member
DJAK said:

You'll notice that there are no glades in the former Glades areas, thats 1. Folks who would go look for the "glades" would sometimes end up OB to the west and spend the night, thats 2. It is on the opposite side of the peak as the South Ridge area, thus North Ridge, thats 3.

I think overall, it makes it simpler for folks who have never been to K. For folks who have, it is noteworthy, but not worth complaining about.

DJAK

I always wondered why that area was called the GLADES area...there were only trails there and no glades from what I saw.

sledhaulingmedic

DJAK said:

DJAK

Several locals/employees mentioned the marketing department. A couple of people I talked to today mentioned the OB issue. Given the misdealings that Killington had with VSP SAR, as well as numerous Volunteer SAR groups the last couple of seasons, avoiding these situations in not a bad idea.