• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington will Open Before Sunday River This Season

Riverskier

Also, I think Snowmonster has it right, we need to compartmentalize a bit if we want to provide superlatives to mountains .

"First to Open" - simple, first to open. Doesn't matter if it's 1 trail, half the mountain, or if it was crap snow or not. First lift served skiing = first to open.

"Last to Close" - well, same thing. Last one to keep the lift running.

"Longest season" - simple too, right? Most days open in a ski season.

Other arguments about quality, etc. are subjective right.

All technically correct, but for the sake of discussion I am going to say that "First to Open" and "Longest Season" are subject to interpretation. For example, I don't consider Mt Snow's jib park as eligible to take "First to Open" honors, though by simple definition it obviously counts. Likewise, I would argue that a mountain that was open 10/1-5/15, but operated weekends only early and late season, and was open less days than a mountain open from 11/1-4/30 daily, could claim "Longest Season". I guess it just depends on how you want to define it, and it really only matters (or should anyway) to resort marketing departments.

Riverskier

You not only got caught trolling, you openly confessed to it. What you are doing now is called back peddling. As others have stated, this is not the first time you have been called out for this sort of behavior. Name calling? Right, I'm the one calling people names. Now that is hilarious.

It truly saddens me when I search for something in the archives here and see all the characters that used to post on this forum just one or two years ago, but have since left. Nick, you seem like a great guy, and I think your posts are very fair and honest, but it is long past time to do a little housecleaning with your moderators. They troll and they flame at will, and if anyone fights back they come out, guns blazing. It just is not fair to the rest of us.

Just curious, where and how was JimG trolling in this thread? All I saw was him express his opinion on the subjest like everyone else. What were the offending remarks?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You not only got caught trolling, you openly confessed to it. What you are doing now is called back peddling. As others have stated, this is not the first time you have been called out for this sort of behavior. Name calling? Right, I'm the one calling people names. Now that is hilarious.

It truly saddens me when I search for something in the archives here and see all the characters that used to post on this forum just one or two years ago, but have since left. Nick, you seem like a great guy, and I think your posts are very fair and honest, but it is long past time to do a little housecleaning with your moderators. They troll and they flame at will, and if anyone fights back they come out, guns blazing. It just is not fair to the rest of us.

So, here's my .02 -

I think JimG probably shouldn't have said he is intentionally stirring the pot .... because in rereading his posts here, I don't even think that is an accurate characterization of what he was doing. I think he has his (strong) opinions on Killington, like many others do, and they cause some intense conversation. In reading this entire thread I see lots of strong minded people but I really don't see any trolling or name calling, anywhere. Please point it out to me if you do see it. This thread actually looks like a model thread compared to some of the earlier K threads.

Can you provide me an example of this:

They troll and they flame at will, and if anyone fights back they come out, guns blazing.

There have been some instances where a mod has said something, but I think almost every time that has happened they have also posted a recant of it, if it truly crossed a line or a forum rule. I try to hold all of us accountable to the same standards, and if I don't then please feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to take a look at a particular case.

Everyone will occasionally say something when things get heated, then after cooling down you revisit a statement. I don't even see that happening here. The only thing i see is JimG probably mistakenly saying that he was stirring the pot - do you really think his statement was stirring a pot?

I do appreciate the input -lots of people are lurkers here for months, maybe even years, before they register, so I'm guessing you aren't as new as your register date says.

Again, always willing to listen to things via PM directly if you want. Hell, I'll even give you my phone number if you want to chat or grab a beer.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
All technically correct, but for the sake of discussion I am going to say that "First to Open" and "Longest Season" are subject to interpretation. For example, I don't consider Mt Snow's jib park as eligible to take "First to Open" honors, though by simple definition it obviously counts. Likewise, I would argue that a mountain that was open 10/1-5/15, but operated weekends only early and late season, and was open less days than a mountain open from 11/1-4/30 daily, could claim "Longest Season". I guess it just depends on how you want to define it, and it really only matters (or should anyway) to resort marketing departments.

I guess theoretically you could split Longest Season into

1- The most # of days open in a season

or

2 - The most # of days between first and last day

Who the hell knows. This is the problem with statistics. You can selectively choose them to come to whatever consensus you want, to make your point.

If Resort A was open on 10/1 and closed 6/1 but only spun on the weekends, and Resort B was open on 10/15 and closed on 5/15 but was open every day, you will have both resorts claiming they were open the longest and then there will be an ensuing thread on AlpineZone where people fiercly state that Resort A really wins and others say Resort B Wins! and then someone will chime in with how AZ is going to hell in a handbasket.

Rinse and repeat.

:lol:

AdironRider

Are we combining SR and the Loaf again? Was SR open until mid May last year?

Regardless, saying SR is open 10/1 to 5/15 consistently is laughable at best. Thats pretty much cherry picking their earliest opening possible with their latest close possible.

Gilligan

The only thing i see is JimG probably mistakenly saying that he was stirring the pot - do you really think his statement was stirring a pot?

Nick, your reply confirms to me how nice of a guy you must be. But...

JimG wrote: "Did I mention to you how much I enjoy stirring the pot in these threads?"

He admitted how much he enjoys stirring the pot in these types of threads. He did not say he had stirred the pot in this particular thread. He admitted to a pattern of behavior that I would call "trolling". Perhaps that word means more to some people, but to me trolling is purposely stirring the pot just for fun.

Vortex

Regardless, saying SR is open 10/1 to 5/15 consistently is laughable at best. Thats pretty much cherry picking their earliest opening possible with their latest close possible.

The loaf closed 1 day after the River Last year I believe. The heat wave was actually an inversion as well it Maine. It just killed everyone. Props to Jay.

Riverskier

Are you talking to me? I don't believe SR has ever opened as early as 10/1 and the last time they were open until 5/15 was the early/mid 90's. I wasn't referencing any specific mountain or discussion; rather I was just pointing out that the definition of these titles can be interpreted in different ways. And for the record, based on what I think you are getting at, yes Killington has had the longest season in the East for any single mountain by most any metric for the last several years (I believe).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well I think that AdironRider has a point in saying that we should consider SR and SL as one...Boyne...if we are going to do that. I think that they clearly use that strategy.

Riverskier

I agree 100%, but I though AR was criticizing the idea of combining them. Anyway, Boyne defnitely uses that strategy, and it makes sense to capitalize on each area's strengths. Most of their customers that ski in October and May have passes good at both places anyway, so it works for us.

AdironRider

I agree 100%, but I though AR was criticizing the idea of combining them. Anyway, Boyne defnitely uses that strategy, and it makes sense to capitalize on each area's strengths. Most of their customers that ski in October and May have passes good at both places anyway, so it works for us.

Im neither here nor there, but I think including Sugarloaf is grasping at straws of the season length argument. Their location is just to far for most to take advantage of. When looking at season passes and not respective resorts though the length is there for Boyne peeps who really get after it, and they should be commended for it.

JimG.

Staff member

JimG wrote: "Did I mention to you how much I enjoy stirring the pot in these threads?"

He admitted how much he enjoys stirring the pot in these types of threads. He did not say he had stirred the pot in this particular thread. He admitted to a pattern of behavior that I would call "trolling". Perhaps that word means more to some people, but to me trolling is purposely stirring the pot just for fun.

Yes, I openly admit again I like, no make that LOVE to stir up conversation in these types of threads. I sincerely apologize to you sir if my choice of words means I am trolling to you. I don't think many others feel that way. But since you are so clearly bothered by what I said, I will never again admit to stirring any pots.

Just to show you how sensitive people on the internet have become, when I openly admitted to stirring the pot in the past, Greg, the old owner of this site, made me an avatar which was basically my head photoshopped onto a picture of a chef stirring a big pot. I loved that avatar and displayed it proudly. And nobody had any issues with it.

You know, promoting conversation on this site is what pays the bills.

ScottySkis

You need to smoke some Mary Jane.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

JimG.

Staff member
Just curious, where and how was JimG trolling in this thread? All I saw was him express his opinion on the subjest like everyone else. What were the offending remarks?

I said I like stirring the pot meaning I like to stir up debate...to him that means I'm trolling.

skiersleft

I started this thread to stir the flames of the debate conversation pot.

I really don't give a rats ass who opens first. But it will be Killington. I had a divine revelation two weeks ago. A flaming bush with smoke that spelled out "River will be Killed This Year". I assumed it meant that Killington would open before Sunday River. If it didn't mean that, I assume it was just incoherent gibberish.

JimG.

Staff member
I started this thread to stir the flames of the debate conversation pot.

I really don't give a rats ass who opens first. But it will be Killington. I had a divine revelation two weeks ago. A flaming bush with smoke that spelled out "River will be Killed This Year". I assumed it meant that Killington would open before Sunday River. If it didn't mean that, I assume it was just incoherent gibberish.

I think you might be moderator material.