• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington's Spring Udate

Well that pretty much seals the deal for my spring migration from Cannon to Killington. Do the weekend crowds die down in late march or do I need to wait until April?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drjeff

Well that pretty much seals the deal for my spring migration from Cannon to Killington. Do the weekend crowds die down in late march or do I need to wait until April?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% weather dependent. If you've got a GREAT spring day, you can have "decent" sized crowds at K in Mid April (or beyond). If we stay in this cooler/cold weather pattern where the snow sticks around down in the I-95 corridor area for a while, it will be interesting to see if the usual decline in weekend crowds that typically starts in the next week or 2 is as robust as in past years...

On a side note, while that comment from Jeff Temple is very forthright in its message, over on Kzone, there is some rumblings for sure from the K regulars about how the "superstar glacier" isn't what it's been in years past right now. So we'll need a cool/cold spring, with hopefully limited LIQUID precip through at least Easter to get K deep into May more than likely

Tin

January really hurt them, I remember them going from 115 trails down to 45 or so in a day. The conditions in late November/early December were some of the best I've skied this year aside from 3-4 powder days. They went wild blowing and had 50+ trails in early December with so much snow flying around trails like Powerline, Skye Hawk, Skyebits, and The Throne were skiable. I have a new respect for K and will ski it more next fall.

Smellytele

January really hurt them, I remember them going from 115 trails down to 45 or so in a day. The conditions in late November/early December were some of the best I've skied this year aside from 3-4 powder days. They went wild blowing and had 50+ trails in early December with so much snow flying around trails like Powerline, Skye Hawk, Skyebits, and The Throne were skiable. I have a new respect for K and will ski it more next fall.

They did that because they knew I was going to be there over Thanksgiving week. :)

Highway Star

100% weather dependent. If you've got a GREAT spring day, you can have "decent" sized crowds at K in Mid April (or beyond). If we stay in this cooler/cold weather pattern where the snow sticks around down in the I-95 corridor area for a while, it will be interesting to see if the usual decline in weekend crowds that typically starts in the next week or 2 is as robust as in past years...

On a side note, while that comment from Jeff Temple is very forthright in its message, over on Kzone, there is some rumblings for sure from the K regulars about how the "superstar glacier" isn't what it's been in years past right now. So we'll need a cool/cold spring, with hopefully limited LIQUID precip through at least Easter to get K deep into May more than likely

There's alot of snow on the trail, deceptively more than it looks like. We were hoping they would make more......notice that they didn't say they wouldn't.

drjeff

There's alot of snow on the trail, deceptively more than it looks like. We were hoping they would make more......notice that they didn't say they wouldn't.

Let's hope the cold air stays, the energy rates normalize, and the K bean counters find some unused budgetary funds which they then laterally move into the snowmaking budget! Then again they could save a ton of cash (and probably make more than a few bump lovers happy!) if they say only ran 1/2 the groomers for just 1 shift a night for the rest of the season too! :)

steamboat1

Posted by Killington Resort over on K-Zone:

Great comments and questions by all;
- No snowguns being set-up on Superstar
- Although highly regulated, we have a great partnerships with State and other organizations for basically unlimited water sources.
- Bubba articulated the New England power situation very well. We have a very complicated rate structure that requires us on one side to scale back power use in times of grid stress and in return have supplemental power available on a daily basis above and beyond our fixed reserve and pricing to fuel the snowmaking engine. Market prices this year have been extreme. We price and purchase the supplemental power daily.
- 50% of our air compression is electric in-house compressors while the other 50% is rented diesel. Diesel is the "booster" portion which helps us run full bore from October through January. From then on we run with in-house electrics. We are required to use latest technology with the diesel air so do not own our diesel compressors as the technology is changing by the year right now. Next year Tier 4 models require urea injection to the fuel systems so another 60-100K of added fuel expense. I should note that we are far below what we are allowed to emit from the diesels on the both the federal and state emission regulations which are very strict.
- All resort, Pico and Killington power use is monitored in-house from 5 major meter points in 15 minute intervals year round to stay in contract compliance or huge fines result. We work closely with the utility company to schedule daily power use and to scale back due to local issues typically between 5-8pm during very cold periods and high energy use. We also contract with New England grid providers to scale back in times of grid emergencies like a major power generator being down and are subject to real-time tests on our ability to scale back.
- Skiing is great, go enjoy!

Wavewheeler

January really hurt them, I remember them going from 115 trails down to 45 or so in a day.

That was when I was there. Right after 2 days of hard, all day rain and above freezing temps.:( I was amazed at how good conditions were in the 3 days after. It was right before MLK weekend and they were blowing snow like crazy and fortunately the temps dropped and we got a little snow on the second day. So we made out OK. It was good skiing! :thumbup:

Newpylong

Skiing was wonderful this past weekend there, and last weekend too. I attached a trail map showing the runs (highlited) and lifts (dashed lines) we hit on 3/2. I was with a friend who doesn't go to K much so I had to give him the tour.

I don't believe the entirety of Superstar has the depths of last year, but no means is it shallow. They should make it fine into spring.

BTW - we loved the new Peak Lodge, they did a nice job. Food and bar are great.

1795269_10151918115381933_2941427_o.jpg

Last edited:

skiur

There is less a lot less snow on the middle and bottom of SS. Also remember it was a very cool spring last year. They had record breaking crowds this year so it should be record breaking snow making to go with it. Maybe Nyberg reared his ugly head and cut off solimanoes budget because I think Mike would have made more snow if he could.