• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Zand

Looks like the headwall finally broke today. Wonder if they have enough up there to push snow on it for tomorrow. Rest of the trail still intact.

BodeMiller1

Headwall is of stone and ice. Humpty's right. Although, it has the pitch.

Attachments

• IMG_20240526_134444.jpeg
    IMG_20240526_134444.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

machski

Word on K Zone is new SS chair goes in next summer and as a result, May 1st will be a hard close next season. Perhaps they pivot to the Canyon for an extra weekend or 2 in May? Can't see trying Canyon beyond that, exposure angle is wrong.

BodeMiller1

The best thing about Killington is it's Killington. The mountain doesn't care who owns it. Nor who skis it. She's been there for millions of years and takes it all in stride. Top 4 mountain in New England no matter the month. Especially Maypril and Septober. Meow

Zand

Word on K Zone is new SS chair goes in next summer and as a result, May 1st will be a hard close next season. Perhaps they pivot to the Canyon for an extra weekend or 2 in May? Can't see trying Canyon beyond that, exposure angle is wrong.
Why not try to blow the crap out of Downdraft, DD, or Cascade and then use the stairs to enable uploading and downloading the K1?

Ended up bagging the trip up today, webcam has been fogged in and rain showers have been off and on it looks like. Oh well.

machski

Why not try to blow the crap out of Downdraft, DD, or Cascade and then use the stairs to enable uploading and downloading the K1?

Ended up bagging the trip up today, webcam has been fogged in and rain showers have been off and on it looks like. Oh well.
I would agree, we'll see what K does. But the Canyon has more Easterly exposure than SS, so even if they bury Double Dipper with similar depth, it will likely melt out faster still. Plus, that means 2 lifts late season.

Newpylong

It will be interesting to see what they do. Out of all of them Downdraft has the best exposure but is the narrowest and likely steepest (at the bottom). I can't picture the herb traffic come spring try to navigate it. I think they would have to do Double Dipper primarily due to width and has better snowmaking equipment, with Downdraft as a second route if anything. They could probably build quite the stash on the Cascade Runout to keep robbing so they wouldn't have to download on K-1 until later in May.

Zand

I would agree, we'll see what K does. But the Canyon has more Easterly exposure than SS, so even if they bury Double Dipper with similar depth, it will likely melt out faster still. Plus, that means 2 lifts late season.
I think Cascade and Downdraft would have almost as good of a chance as Superstar of making it to the end of May if they bury them as much as they do Superstar. They generally are skiable until early May with a regular sized base. With a SS-like base, I think they could get 2-3 more weeks out of them. The steeps face more north and there's a bit of an elevation advantage.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the prospect of Memorial Day next year is unlikely, no matter what direction they take.

While not as good of Exposure as say Downdraft, why not go with Conclusion from the mid station for a couple of weeks after they shut SS? Didn't it once have snowmaking? It would be a little challenging where it's narrow near the top where the mid station let's off. However, only need one chair to make it work. Just a thought

BodeMiller1

Nice Killington isn't my home Mt. You guys have skied there more than me. All of the trails lookers left of SS hold snow better. If they added wood wind breaks like at the top of SL, Cannon the snow would stay on the trails, less wind. You could stash your beer behind it.

Newpylong

I think the prospect of Memorial Day next year is unlikely, no matter what direction they take.

While not as good of Exposure as say Downdraft, why not go with Conclusion from the mid station for a couple of weeks after they shut SS? Didn't it once have snowmaking? It would be a little challenging where it's narrow near the top where the mid station let's off. However, only need one chair to make it work. Just a thought
Conclusion does have a snowmaking, last used the year the bubble was installed.

Zand

Conclusion faces almost due east. If you look at a satellite image it faces the exact same direction as East Fall which usually gets blown out way before Downdraft and Cascade. It's one of my favorite trails simply because it's fun lapping it from the midstation when the Triple is running, but not sure it would hold up well in the late spring sun.

Newpylong

It does usually melt out pretty quickly.

I think the Canyon would probably be the best bet due to elevation and exposure. Or throw a curve ball and go all out on Outer Limits. Faces East but generally holds snow well and would only be one lift. Has good snowmaking. Can't beat the Bear beach for spring either.

Zand

It does usually melt out pretty quickly.

I think the Canyon would probably be the best bet due to elevation and exposure. Or throw a curve ball and go all out on Outer Limits. Faces East but generally holds snow well and would only be one lift. Has good snowmaking. Can't beat the Bear beach for spring either.
I had that idea in the back of my head but I thought it would look ridiculous πŸ˜†

OL in May would be amazing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A one year OL special would be really cool.

Did they make final decision to end yesterday? From the looks of the webcam this morning, doesn't seem like 6/1 can happen.

Zand

A one year OL special would be really cool.

Did they make final decision to end yesterday? From the looks of the webcam this morning, doesn't seem like 6/1 can happen.
It sure looks ugly on the cam but the Kzoners say the mountain seems to have confidence in a Saturday opening. I'm sure at the very least there will be walking on the headwall and then some fast grass in other areas.

urungus

There is still hope … Last official update from 5:30 PM yesterday was β€œAs for skiing we are asking you all to stay tuned as we assess conditions and see if it’s going to be possible to get some June turns in this year.”

letitsnow1

Ol would be cool, I think the biggest problem is the base area turns into a pond before the trail melts out