• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Wonder what the cost is compared to regular snowmaking with this technology.

Cool - learned to ski there as did my daughters.

MidnightJester

The resort plans on potentially running more than 100 snow guns on the trail to get it ready for the World Cup, weather permitting.. They haven't given up yet but Time will tell
Looks like all the nights are good to go for snowmaking starting next Saturday and Sunday. Long range 10 day forecasts seem to give every night a go with temperatures in the mid 20's and even colder at elevations.
Screenshot_20221106-130652_AccuWeather.jpg
screenshot_20221106-130652_accuweather-jpg.54960

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Well, FIS is now 1 for 6 on opening races this season as the first Dual Parallel races have been cancelled. We'll see if Levi can pull their races off
It will be great to have Killington pull it off just to help build more of a reputation that even in harsh snowmaking conditions it can be pulled off by them. The Racers will appreciate having a real race too if they are standing at 1 for 6 races this season. How many more are scheduled before the Killington races?

drjeff

Well, FIS is now 1 for 6 on opening races this season as the first Dual Parallel races have been cancelled. We'll see if Levi can pull their races off
Levi has already received snow control approval I believe. Now up to mother nature to give decent weather

machski

It will be great to have Killington pull it off just to help build more of a reputation that even in harsh snowmaking conditions it can be pulled off by them. The Racers will appreciate having a real race too if they are standing at 1 for 6 races this season. How many more are scheduled before the Killington races?
Levi is it I believe.

And the course is already in good shape and being used for training. Saw Wendy Holdner is already there training on it last night.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

I see Killington and all the NE mountains waiting on most if not all snowmaking till just after the weekend storm. Vermont is now expecting 2"plus inches of warm rain in a bunch of areas Friday night into Saturday night. Starting this upcoming Sunday night every night is snowmaking territory for 2 weeks till the races.

You would hope they could make snow at least 10 hours each day after the sun goes down???

Last edited:

skiur

The rain isn't a definite, it all depends on where Nicole goes, could be 2+ inches or could be nothing. Above 3500 ft they can blow tonight and tomorrow night and possibly even most of the day tomorrow. I think K will blow some piles at least on the top of supe.

Newpylong

I have not heard whether they will pull the trigger or not but the wind is currently blowing 40 MPH here just east of Killington. The highs are due to be in the 50s at the PEAK from Wednesday until Saturday. I wouldn't bother.

IceEidolon

I have not heard whether they will pull the trigger or not but the wind is currently blowing 40 MPH here just east of Killington. The highs are due to be in the 50s at the PEAK from Wednesday until Saturday. I wouldn't bother.
They started up what looks from cams to be the top half of Superstar but not North Ridge.

Newpylong

According to the onhill wx stations there's an inversion right now. Warmer up top.

That said, I don't see any of it sticking Wed to Saturday. But they're under quite the big microscope right now. Optics...

skiur

They had no reason to blow north ridge last night. They have more than enough time starting Sunday to blow north ridge. I predict at Thursday opening for pass holders and general public opening on Friday.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I am more optimistic- looks like some of the "snow" may make it through the rain. 10am and still going- even at the bottom with the fan guns. They might be able to go the whole day without shutting down up top. Legitimately decent snowmaking conditions tonight between midnight and 9am tomorrow. Low 20s temps, decreasing humidity, winds decreasing to almost nothing by sunrise.

I said a few pages ago I thought it wasn't going to happen. Still what I'm leaning towards but I'd be more than happy to eat crow. The "cold snap" just isn't that cold... low 20s at night and cold enough to keep going during the day. @Newpylong says 100 hours in ideal conditions. The weather will be ok but not ideal. If they can start Sunday at noon they'd get 150 hours by the following Sunday, the 20th. Not sure if that's soon enough for snow control.