• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

chuckstah

2"-3" of snow expected Friday night into Saturday. Deep freeze Friday night with temps in the mid 20s at elevation. Saturday windy and highs in the 30s! Happy last weekend of April and first day of May!

I think my last day of East Coast skiing before moving west will be Friday, May 7th or the 14th. It's a strange feeling knowing this is "it"...for a long time at least.
I was planning on Saturday. Hedging now, may not be worth it. Maybe Jay for free Indy pass day, but a bit longer drive and only the Jet. Or sleep. Decisions.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was planning on Saturday. Hedging now, may not be worth it. Maybe Jay for free Indy pass day, but a bit longer drive and only the Jet. Or sleep. Decisions.
I'd think Saturday would be total crap but it's better than not skiing maybe? The snow is gonna be soaked from Friday's rain and then it'll freeze up real good overnight.

machski

Since I got spoiled by our three days out in Bachelor this week, think I'm passing on K Saturday with the forecast. Will likely mean I miss May turns this year as the next 2 weekends (fridays included) are tied up and I doubt K makes it to the 21-23. If they do, will hit it Friday 5/21. If not, guess I'm done this season. Hit 50, pretty good for the later start and lack of west trips until this 3 day quick strike at Bachelor.

dblskifanatic

Has Killington gotten soft on Superstar? I have seen many pictures where it is wall to wall groomed or close to it. Superstar groomed is not impressive and I guess that they groom it to get more people to come. My favorite thing about Spring skiing SS was the bumps. I needed the practice and spring bumps are the best.

On the Webcam I have seen the grooming that has been happening and today I saw this posted on FB which was from March.

Killingtime

I think its more of fixing it up for the breaks and water holes that happen in the usual late season spots. Just looked at the webcam and they will have work to do for Friday's opening. Don't like groomed trails? Give it a few hours, it should be good and bumped by lunchtime.

dblskifanatic

I think its more of fixing it up for the breaks and water holes that happen in the usual late season spots. Just looked at the webcam and they will have work to do for Friday's opening. Don't like groomed trails? Give it a few hours, it should be good and bumped by lunchtime.
Best of both worlds? Warn up on a groomer ready for bumps in the afternoon!

ss20

They pretty much have to groom Superstar now each weekend to get access down the top "headwall" and back to the lift.

I found this year they groomed Superstar left. In years past it's groomed nightly December-early April save for 5-10 nights usually after a significant snow storm. This year it seemed it left ungroomed 15-20 nights and they let some nice spring bumps form on it in March.

Outer Limits was definitely groomed less this year than season's past. They did a ton of "dust n run" snowmaking jobs on it this season after it got icy to resurface it. Normally they do 3-4 snowmaking runs on it and call it a season. This year I want to say they blew it 6-8 separate times.

skiur

They pretty much have to groom Superstar now each weekend to get access down the top "headwall" and back to the lift.

I found this year they groomed Superstar left. In years past it's groomed nightly December-early April save for 5-10 nights usually after a significant snow storm. This year it seemed it left ungroomed 15-20 nights and they let some nice spring bumps form on it in March.

Outer Limits was definitely groomed less this year than season's past. They did a ton of "dust n run" snowmaking jobs on it this season after it got icy to resurface it. Normally they do 3-4 snowmaking runs on it and call it a season. This year I want to say they blew it 6-8 separate times.

I feel like that snow was wasted on OL, I know they were trying to keep bear open longer than normal to keep crowds down, but bear did not stay open longer than normal and bear closed with a ton of snow on OL. With the extra snow moved to supe we would make it to the 21-23 weekend. Instead Sunday is likely the last day.

Newpylong

5 runs this year. Usually gets it twice, sometimes three times.

Newpylong

I feel like that snow was wasted on OL, I know they were trying to keep bear open longer than normal to keep crowds down, but bear did not stay open longer than normal and bear closed with a ton of snow on OL. With the extra snow moved to supe we would make it to the 21-23 weekend. Instead Sunday is likely the last day.
OL closes every year with snow on it. The extra runs were not wasted because it was skiable instead of being a glacier half the season like it normally is after the thaw freeze events.

Also, the decision to not make more snow on SS was not a budgetary or capacity issue, they just didn't want to.

skiur

OL closed with a lot more snow this year than normal, I skiied it the weekend after it closed and it still had a ton of snow. I would have rathered that snow blown on supe, or to keep the canyon quad going an extra week with all that snow on cascade and downdraft.

keyser soze

Has Killington gotten soft on Superstar? I have seen many pictures where it is wall to wall groomed or close to it. Superstar groomed is not impressive and I guess that they groom it to get more people to come. My favorite thing about Spring skiing SS was the bumps. I needed the practice and spring bumps are the best.

On the Webcam I have seen the grooming that has been happening and today I saw this posted on FB which was from March.

They groom it at night and within a couple of hours it is bump city. At least that is what I;ve experienced. If it doesn't look bumpy then it must be an early morning pic.

dblskifanatic

OL closed with a lot more snow this year than normal, I skied it the weekend after it closed and it still had a ton of snow. I would have rathered that snow blown on supe, or to keep the canyon quad going an extra week with all that snow on cascade and downdraft.

The run out is the issue if I recall. It is lower and melts fast and it can get muddy. Unless you are talking about keeping the lift running. I have been there with couple people from here when we could ski Cascade and the run out still had snow. Lift was closed in that area so that was the only option.

ss20

The run out is the issue if I recall. It is lower and melts fast and it can get muddy. Unless you are talking about keeping the lift running. I have been there with couple people from here when we could ski Cascade and the run out still had snow. Lift was closed in that area so that was the only option.

It seemed to me everywhere K blew a lot less in base area and connectors and focused more on trails. As you said, the Canyon runout was gone below the chair starting in late March. I can remember most years being able to hike the Canyon trails and ski down all the way back to the lodge with only a few trouble spots even in the middle of April.

Remember, yes they "spread out" the snow making, but the really warm dry spring was most impacting

dblskifanatic

It seemed to me everywhere K blew a lot less in base area and connectors and focused more on trails. As you said, the Canyon runout was gone below the chair starting in late March. I can remember most years being able to hike the Canyon trails and ski down all the way back to the lodge with only a few trouble spots even in the middle of April.

I remember that as well!

dblskifanatic

from the webcam it looks like there are a lot of ants on the hill today. They filled in the area at the end of the flatter part of the slope. Skiing like a flat run today with a few bump rows of to the side of it appears based on how people are skiing.

skiur

Looks like one can still ski back to the lift, thats good news. Hopefully it stays that way thru the weekend. Ill be up tonight for my last 2 days of skiing.