• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ˜€

skiur

Me about four weeks ago chatting with someone on Needles Eye: โ€œI remember when Killington was 100% open in mid April in 1997, that is never going to happen againโ€ฆโ€

And he was correct, it never will happen again.

MidnightJester

Has anyone ever enjoyed or tailgated at Killingtons spring bear mountain mogul challenge event/party past years?

I normally set up in the base area in the K1 main lot when early enough but from their site it seems they are running the event I think like a Snow tailgate party at bear lot and lodge

How is bear lodge and parking lot?? It seems off by itself. Amazingly been to killington a dozen or more times and never been in bear parking lot or lodge. Just bears lift and trails.

Killington might be max level crazy show. 27" plus of Snow plus mogul tailgate party

Last edited:

urungus

Has anyone ever enjoyed or tailgated at Killingtons spring bear mountain mogul challenge event/party past years?

I normally set up in the base area in the K1 main lot when early enough but from their site it seems they are running the event I think like a Snow tailgate party at bear lot and lodge

How is bear lodge and parking lot?? It seems off by itself. Amazingly been to killington a dozen or more times and never been in bear parking lot or lodge. Just bears lift and trails.

Killington might be max level crazy show. 27" plus of Snow plus mogul tailgate party
Itโ€™s not the crazy free-for-all that Iโ€™ve heard it used to be back in the day, but I went to the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge 2 years ago and had a great time. Was cool to ride the Bear Mountain Quad above the competitors, and then ski down Outer Limits along side the fenced-off competition area. They had a BBQ going on the lodge deck, and a temporary stage off to the side with an 80s cover band. Many tents at the bottom of Outer Limits with people tailgating. When going to Killington I often park at Bear because you can usually get very close to the lifts, but tomorrow it will be a zoo and you will most likely need to park elsewhere unless you get there early. Bear Lodge itself is a little dated, has a food court, bar and a nice deck. There is usually a food truck selling chicken too.

Last edited:

Newpylong

Anyone who knows the mountain well and comes from the East parks there (or Skyeship when open) if that helps. I would never drive over to the basin if Bear or Skyeship are open.

Zand

Skied 9-11:30 this morning then had to get back home for a wake. Unfortunately missed out on a massive corn harvest in the afternoon but it was getting good in the AM.

Started with a couple runs in the Needles area in the morning sun, then spent the rest of the morning lapping the box. South facing stuff like Highline was fun soft and bumpy. Royal Flush was adventure skiing. Cascade and Downdraft headwalls excellent. Lower East Fall was a blast. Last run on Cascade was just starting to get soft but still a bit teeth chattering.

PXL_20240409_142941005.MP.jpg

PXL_20240409_145929098.jpg

PXL_20240409_150941832.jpg
Still a lot of company on 91 heading home.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The photo of Royal Flush above shows how quickly new March/April snow lasts. Royal Flush was still well-covered on Monday, April 8. Most of the glades were open on Monday. It would not have been obvious how bare they were just a short 5-days earlier.

The Sneak

Is it me, or does K have some lift issues?
  • superstar was down all morning sat
  • south ridge broke down sunday
  • skyeship has a number of broken cars
  • the bubble frequently stops, often for extensive periods of time -- I was on it for a good 15 min stop a couple of weeks ago
  • ramshead appears to be an old HSQ
Just my observations. Is there a lift infrastructure improvement plan?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is it me, or does K have some lift issues?
  • superstar was down all morning sat
  • south ridge broke down sunday
  • skyeship has a number of broken cars
  • the bubble frequently stops, often for extensive periods of time -- I was on it for a good 15 min stop a couple of weeks ago
  • ramshead appears to be an old HSQ
Just my observations. Is there a lift infrastructure improvement plan?
You're talking about POWDR. So other than paint, probably not.

BodeMiller1

If you take a lift offline for the season it gives you more time to service. Idle insurance? POD is o list to close. STOP THE WHO-VILLIANS from poaching. Give the cows a rest and such...

Meow

BodeMiller1

15 minutes? - you were on a bubble chair and you what?

15 minutes isn't that long. Ski NE and hope for the best.

Have you ever fallen off a frozen T-Bar?

Kind Regards

Freeski