• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leaving Skis and Boards on the Ground - WTF

dlague

We were at Bolton Valley and there was a huge area where people just left their skis on the ground rather them putting them on the ski racks. The next day they had to put a sign up and they had some one patrol the area. This is not unique to BV it happens everywhere that I have been to. This seems to be a growing trend. Are people just lazy? Is it me or do others feel the same or are you one of the trend setters.

snoseek

It takes a lot more than this to upset me.

xwhaler

I agree its frustrating but sort of speaks to the lack of rack space at some mtns I guess. Hard to blame ppl when the racks are full. I can;t recall if racks were full at BV at the specific time you are referring to.
We saw the same thing at Smuggs on Sat

Edd

I guess I'm lazy sometimes. I only do it if I'm running in for a quick bathroom break or maybe at a mid mountain lodge in the spring when it's dead (think Bullwinkle's at the Loaf). It does get ridiculous if too many people do it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wa-loaf

I've done it. Especially when I'm just running in to take a leak or something quick. I wouldn't leave them out like that for a full lunch hour.

Edd

Slightly related but I took this picture at Wildcat 30 minutes ago. It's windy here but conditions are sweet.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1394554239.541340.jpg

skiNEwhere

Some ski areas have certain areas for allowing, or at least tolerating this, such as Loveland. I agree with Edd though, if it's not crowded and I'm running in real quick to use the restroom or something, I'll leave them on the ground out of the way

Smellytele

It is one of my pet peeves. My kids always try it and then say everyone else is doing it. I then get into my dad persona and say "I don't care what everyone else is doing. You are my kid and I bought those skis. Now pick them up!" Okay I am a grump.
My other pet peeve is people skiing with their jackets totally unzipped and flapping in the wind. I tell my kids to either ski with the jacket on and at least connected at the bottom or take the thing off.

Glenn

I think they should have the groomer come out and "freshen up the snow" in the area people just leave their skis. That should condition people not to do it again in the future.

HD333

I see a lot of "race kids" doing this, they own the mountain right? Maybe they need a grump dad in the group to tell them to put the skis on a rack. In my opinion it goes along with the entitled attitude you see with many privileged "race kids". That attitude is honestly one of the reasons we didn't push our kids towards a race team, that and I'd rather ski with them!

dlague

Slightly related but I took this picture at Wildcat 30 minutes ago. It's windy here but conditions are sweet.

View attachment 11705

Technically on the rack! BTW I will admit that I do leave my skis on the ground if there a boat load of others there on occasion. Magic seems to have an organized approach to leaving the skis on the ground. All lined up in rows and columns (almost line an in visible spreadsheet).

dlague

It is one of my pet peeves. My kids always try it and then say everyone else is doing it. I then get into my dad persona and say "I don't care what everyone else is doing. You are my kid and I bought those skis. Now pick them up!" Okay I am a grump.
My other pet peeve is people skiing with their jackets totally unzipped and flapping in the wind. I tell my kids to either ski with the jacket on and at least connected at the bottom or take the thing off.

Yup I get that!

MadMadWorld

Technically on the rack! BTW I will admit that I do leave my skis on the ground if there a boat load of others there on occasion. Magic seems to have an organized approach to leaving the skis on the ground. All lined up in rows and columns (almost line an in visible spreadsheet).

I understand why people leave their skis up by the Black Chair. But Magic went and move 2 full racks up there for people yet people still leave their skis laying around. I always get a good chuckle when I see a little kid come barreling through and right over the top of the group of skis. That's exactly what they deserve

skifree

why does this bother people? I can see if racks have room but when they are full what else is the option?