• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lens color for night skiing

gmcunni

i've gone to clear lens, day or night. i will go back to tint only if it is a blue bird day.

WJenness

I like my yellow lens, it really increases contrast in low light... allows me to see contours of bumps and other terrain variations... I recommend it.

-w

mondeo

I like my yellow lens, it really increases contrast in low light... allows me to see contours of bumps and other terrain variations... I recommend it.

-w
Until this year, I used a rose tint at night. Eyes adjust to it being darker, and I can't stand clear lenses - no help at all for flat light. I picked up some Smith goggles with their sensor lens during the off-season. Similar light transmission to yellow lens, good contrast, and steezy mirror-ness. Used em a couple times at night so far this year, and they do a pretty good job.

Greg

Staff member
Night skiing? Clear lenses. The lights light up the terrain just fine.

clear is the only way to go at night....everything else reduces the VLT...visable light transmission, and will make it appear darker than it really is.

mondeo

clear is the only way to go at night....everything else reduces the VLT...visable light transmission, and will make it appear darker than it really is.
Yes, but by that logic you shouldn't wear goggles at all. Even clear goggles eliminate 15% of the light transmission; yellow/sensor lenses reduce it only be a further 15%.

It depends on a couple things: how well lit the ski area is, how well your eyes adjust, and how intolerant you are of flat light. At Sundown, I have absolutely no problem with the light levels after my eyes adjust, and I'm fairly intolerant of flat light.

So, there isn't an answer, really. Clear, yellow, Sensor all work for different people.

gmcunni

tried yellow tonight at sundown. didn't care for it. visability was ok but i didn't like the way the lights glared with the yellow tint. it wasn't snowing so i just kept them up most of the time. back to clear for me.

Greg

Staff member
It depends on a couple things: how well lit the ski area is, how well your eyes adjust, and how intolerant you are of flat light. At Sundown, I have absolutely no problem with the light levels after my eyes adjust, and I'm fairly intolerant of flat light.

Here's that flat light while night skiing comment again. See my post [post="367522"]here[/post]. Like I mention there, I think I have a different definition of flat light...

gmcunni

Here's that flat light while night skiing comment again. See my post [post="367522"]here[/post]. Like I mention there, I think I have a different definition of flat light...

i admit, i lump just about every bad type of lighting into "flat light". not accurate but i'm lazy that way.

mondeo

To me, flat lighting is anything that reduces shadows, making it more difficult to see variations in surface profile; i.e., they make the surface look flat. I agree that night skiing isn't that bad for flat lighting, but as I mentioned I'm intolerant of even slightly flat light. To me, the benefit of increased contrast in slightly flat light offsets the negative of slightly reduced light levels. I adjust better to brightness than contrast.

My personal experience is that with a decently lit night skiing area, I can adjust to the point that even rose tints work for me. I used a rose tint for years for night skiing, and going to a clear lens always gave me trouble. But that's me.

All I'm saying is that there's not a clear cut answer here. But is there ever?

Terry

I use a very light greenish tint goggle at night. I found that with the lights at Shawnee Peak, this color works the best for me.