• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's Go Red Sox!!

Paul

Cool that you're having a shitty night. Karma's a bitch. Sucks that I was contributing to the subject when a college soccer coach asked for advice after catching three players with a banned substance.

You clearly would have offered him different advice than I gave.

Let me guess, you would've given him a more thorough answer, but you had to be at the gym in 26 minutes?

FRITOLAYGUY

I don't think it's fair to Tampa to call it and Philadelphia as teams from "smaller markets"....Philly is a pretty big market, and, if you believe Baseball Almanac, it's actually a bigger market than Boston....

Given its size, I've always thought Philly had no excuse to not put a competitive team on the field year-in year-out.

Thats interesting mud i never saw those numbers the only reason that we know thats not true is Boston which they are just doing Boston proper includes all of RI,Maine, NH, half of Vermont and half of CT, phillly is just philly and south jersey, theres no other cites north of Boston so im sure they have an actual larger audience than philly proper but i terms of just the cities and 45mile radius philly is alot more populated thats for sure. But if we did a 200mile radius Boston is twice as big as a viewing area for the sox than philly is no doubt.

JimG.

Staff member
Huh...

So much for my prediction for a Red Sox/Dodgers series.

Good thing I don't gamble anymore.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Thats interesting mud i never saw those numbers the only reason that we know thats not true is Boston which they are just doing Boston proper includes all of RI,Maine, NH, half of Vermont and half of CT, phillly is just philly and south jersey, theres no other cites north of Boston so im sure they have an actual larger audience than philly proper but i terms of just the cities and 45mile radius philly is alot more populated thats for sure. But if we did a 200mile radius Boston is twice as big as a viewing area for the sox than philly is no doubt.

Except that a 200 mile radius from Philly will bump up against NYC and and DC, which would greatly expand Philly's potential market. Dunno what the right number/ranking is, but I do think that Philly is not a small market team.

Interesting to see that Montreal has a bigger market than ELEVEN MLB teams (in order from biggest to smallest: Diamondbacks, Twins, Indians, Padres, Cardinals, Rockies, Rays, Pirates, Reds, Royals and Brewers). I'm still not convinced that MLB didn't orchestrate the destruction of baseball in Montreal to help facilitate the sale of the Marlins to Loria (former Expos owner), Red Sox to Henry, and Expos/Nationals to a new group for big money....

I miss Youppi....

youppi.jpg

FRITOLAYGUY

Except that a 200 mile radius from Philly will bump up against NYC and and DC, which would greatly expand Philly's potential market. Dunno what the right number/ranking is, but I do think that Philly is not a small market team.

Interesting to see that Montreal has a bigger market than ELEVEN MLB teams (in order from biggest to smallest: Diamondbacks, Twins, Indians, Padres, Cardinals, Rockies, Rays, Pirates, Reds, Royals and Brewers). I'm still not convinced that MLB didn't orchestrate the destruction of baseball in Montreal to help facilitate the sale of the Marlins to Loria (former Expos owner), Red Sox to Henry, and Expos/Nationals to a new group for big money....

I miss Youppi....

youppi.jpg

Thats what i was saying the redsox only radius is halfway thru CT where it bumps into NY, its extends forever in all the other directions. I was surprised Toronto was so high, even above atlanta and Houston which are huge metro areas.

dmc

The fact that there's another tame in the American league other the the Sawx and the Yanks to contend with is cool... and i think TB is here to stay...

rooting for the Phils because of my Cole Hammel connection... Didn't ask for tickets... Should have.. oh well...

FRITOLAYGUY

The fact that there's another tame in the American league other the the Sawx and the Yanks to contend with is cool... and i think TB is here to stay...

rooting for the Phils because of my Cole Hammel connection... Didn't ask for tickets... Should have.. oh well...

Well D ask for me and send them down here so i can catch a game, can u believe they are asking 1K for a ticket in tampa of all places what has the world come too.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Thats what i was saying the redsox only radius is halfway thru CT where it bumps into NY, its extends forever in all the other directions.

Yup....All the way through those mega population centers of Maine, Vermont and the Canadian maritime provinces.....:wink:

Geoff

and i think TB is here to stay...

Tampa will vaporize when all those young players hit their arbritration year and/or free agency. Their local TV revenue sucks. Their attendance is lousy. Even with a first place team, they only filled the stadium when they played the Red Sox and Yankees and half the fans were rooting for the visiting team. They can't afford the payroll and they'll be picking close to last in the MLB draft instead of a decade of #1 draft picks. They'll have two more strong years and then start to fall off as they lose players. I think the team will eventually move to a better TV market.

Half those players will be wearing pinstripes in 5 years.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Tampa will vaporize when all those young players hit their arbritration year and/or free agency. Their local TV revenue sucks. Their attendance is lousy. Even with a first place team, they only filled the stadium when they played the Red Sox and Yankees and half the fans were rooting for the visiting team. They can't afford the payroll and they'll be picking close to last in the MLB draft instead of a decade of #1 draft picks. They'll have two more strong years and then start to fall off as they lose players. I think the team will eventually move to a better TV market.

Half those players will be wearing pinstripes in 5 years.

I dunno....They're a 10-year old expansion team that has never won more than 70 games in a season prior to this year, so I'm not totally shocked that they don't draw.

Get 'em a new stadium and a winner for 3-4 years, and they'll be fine. Maybe not a top 5 payroll team, but no reason they can't be like the Twins. Their talent evaluators are pretty top-notch....

FRITOLAYGUY

I dunno....They're a 10-year old expansion team that has never won more than 70 games in a season prior to this year, so I'm not totally shocked that they don't draw.

Get 'em a new stadium and a winner for 3-4 years, and they'll be fine. Maybe not a top 5 payroll team, but no reason they can't be like the Twins. Their talent evaluators are pretty top-notch....

Geoff is right Mud, i wrote somewhere in an earlier post about this ill quote it, even if tampa wins they will probably be moving

FRITOLAYGUY

here it is
Tampa is a weird situation, tropicana field is a dump ive been to 2 games there this year and players all agree, its just weird and in the middle of a ghetto, that being said they had a vote to build this sweet ballpark right on the water in St Pete, 34K seating, this weird like tarp roof kinda thing that keeps the heating down and rain out, really quite impressive looking http://www.faniq.com/poll_results.php?poll_id=189706&rnum= in anycase i guess they voted against it and now word down here is even if the Rays go onto the world series and win it they will probably be relocating in the next 5yrs to a different market.

If you have never been there, this place is 25miles from Tampa in St Pete, one long bridge to get there kinda in the middle of nowhere, if there was an accident on the way to the game theres no other way to get there. They would have been smarter to build this right in Tampa, it would be more attractive plus more daytrippers from the orlando area like myself would go, its 2hrs to st pete for me , under 90minutes to downtown tampa. Baseball is tough, any city can sell out 8 games a year for football home games but for 81 baseball games its tough unless you live in a huge market or just are winning all the time, unfortunately for the rays neither is going to help them.

powbmps

Youkilis and his big sweaty head are awesome! Perfect ending for a Sox fan, but what is up with Ortiz?

ozzy

I'm SOOOOO happy that the Yanks still have Mariano Rivera on their roster! Go Sox! :)

Me too. the guy is second all time is saves. One day papplesmear may become something though