• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift holds for Cold

deadheadskier

Staff member
Have we become a bunch of pussies? I do not EVER remember ski areas closing for cold weather. Here is Mass, city of Boston and city of Worcester closed the schools for the day. WTF? Sure, it’s cold - but I have definitely skied in weather like this.

I'd say not pussies, more we've become smarter and more respectful. I certainly don't expect people to work in these dangerous temps just so I can ski.

As for places like Boston and Worcester canceling school, I also think it's the right thing to do. A huge percentage of kids in those cities walk to school. Many of them are low income or recent immigrants and simply lack the resources and clothing to manage such temps safely.

Just because things were different in the past, doesn't mean the right choices were made back then.

Zermatt

Have we become a bunch of pussies? I do not EVER remember ski areas closing for cold weather. Here is Mass, city of Boston and city of Worcester closed the schools for the day. WTF? Sure, it’s cold - but I have definitely skied in weather like this.
Tell me the dates and I’ll check.

kendo

That didn't take long...

Stowe Snow Reporter’s Notes​

Friday, February 3
Update at 7:15 AM

Due to high wind and cold temperatures, all summit lifts are closed for the day. We are still assessing lower mountain lifts, including the Sunny Spruce Quad, Meadows Quad, Adventure Triple and the Sunrise lift. The Toll House Double is also closed for the day, with shuttles providing transportation from the Toll House base up to the Mansfield and Spruce base areas. Toll House terrain remains open for ski back. Make sure to stay tuned to Stowe.com/Alerts for the most up-to-date lift status information today.

Mainer

Just took the dogs for a cross country ski in the mwv. The temp is doable, the wind cranking is not. Hard pass on riding lifts

drjeff

Back in the day there wouldn't have been so many closures.
Back in the day you didn't have the underlying "fear" of what a "bad" incident caught on social media can do to a resort, atleast in the short term spin cycle.

Also, it seems like the fixed grip lifts, which defintely were much more prevalent in the past than high speed lifts, seem to fair better from an operations perspective (less moving parts and more importantly less parts that require lubricants to operate which often can gum/gel up in extreme cold) than highspeed lifts do.

Add in the increased litigenous nature of society today should something go wrong, and frankly the change to what we see today isn't unexpetced, and on many levels, especially when it comes to employee safety, I agree with it

djd66

I'd say not pussies, more we've become smarter and more respectful. I certainly don't expect people to work in these dangerous temps just so I can ski.

As for places like Boston and Worcester canceling school, I also think it's the right thing to do. A huge percentage of kids in those cities walk to school. Many of them are low income or recent immigrants and simply lack the resources and clothing to manage such temps safely.

Just because things were different in the past, doesn't mean the right choices were made back then.

People are more respectful? I 100% disagree with that.

I live near Worcester- it’s 26 degrees and they shut the schools. I stand by my original premise- we have definitely become a bunch of pussies!

Zermatt

Mount Washington will be making a run at the NH all-time record low this afternoon.

Mount Washington will be making a run at the lower 48 all-time record low windchill this afternoon.

It's safe to say most people have not skied in these conditions and there is a massive difference between -22 in the valley on a cold, calm morning versus 0F on a chairlift in 30-40mph winds.

4aprice

Back in the day you didn't have the underlying "fear" of what a "bad" incident caught on social media can do to a resort, atleast in the short term spin cycle.

Also, it seems like the fixed grip lifts, which defintely were much more prevalent in the past than high speed lifts, seem to fair better from an operations perspective (less moving parts and more importantly less parts that require lubricants to operate which often can gum/gel up in extreme cold) than highspeed lifts do.

Add in the increased litigenous nature of society today should something go wrong, and frankly the change to what we see today isn't unexpetced, and on many levels, especially when it comes to employee safety, I agree with it
You run the risk of getting cancelled. lol

KustyTheKlown

That didn't take long...

Stowe Snow Reporter’s Notes​

Friday, February 3
Update at 7:15 AM

Due to high wind and cold temperatures, all summit lifts are closed for the day. We are still assessing lower mountain lifts, including the Sunny Spruce Quad, Meadows Quad, Adventure Triple and the Sunrise lift. The Toll House Double is also closed for the day, with shuttles providing transportation from the Toll House base up to the Mansfield and Spruce base areas. Toll House terrain remains open for ski back. Make sure to stay tuned to Stowe.com/Alerts for the most up-to-date lift status information today.

They had to start more open to steal more money.

deadheadskier

Staff member
People are more respectful? I 100% disagree with that.

I live near Worcester- it’s 26 degrees and they shut the schools. I stand by my original premise- we have definitely become a bunch of pussies!

I'm really referring to mountain owners / management being more respectful towards employee safety. Forcing people to work in such dangerous conditions isn't cool and was a mistake when it was commonplace in the past.

tumbler

Sugarbush just put all the upper mountain lifts on wind hold instead of closing them. I have no problem closing upper mountain lifts today, no reason to put the lifties and patrol out there in those conditions. Also to save a Jerry in blue jeans from himself.

skiur

Sugarbush just put all the upper mountain lifts on wind hold instead of closing them. I have no problem closing upper mountain lifts today, no reason to put the lifties and patrol out there in those conditions. Also to save a Jerry in blue jeans from himself.

If your out there in blue jeans on a day like today then you don't deserve to be saved, Darwinism will take care of you.

SLyardsale

my fam skied 3hrs 9am to noon fifteen at Snow today. That bubble thing was extremely helpful. just some cold toes and frozen goggles. the toes did us in eventually but a nice overall morning of nice conditions. the sun being out helped too. blue bird bubble was essentially ski on except for one period around 10:30am where is was a 5 min wait. mt snow academy closed southbowl at 11:30am for race training - that was a surprise.

machski

Well, this lift ride today was quite comfortable for surePXL_20230203_151652444.jpg
The old Jordan Quad never would have spun at all today in these conditions. SR shit down Jordan around 1130 as things were definitely getting nastier and temps getting lower. But bubble down and the sun out, you could easily had survived an hour plus if it came to that, especially if dressed appropriately as well. And no lifties, had to be outside to run this thing. They were either in the control booths or of at the base terminal, out by the load but out of the wind in the building. Finally, this lift also tells the operators from the booth exactly which chairs are occupied, making an evac that much faster on a day like this considering many were empty.

eatskisleep

Mount Washington will be making a run at the NH all-time record low this afternoon.

Mount Washington will be making a run at the lower 48 all-time record low windchill this afternoon.

It's safe to say most people have not skied in these conditions and there is a massive difference between -22 in the valley on a cold, calm morning versus 0F on a chairlift in 30-40mph winds.
What are the records?