• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift holds for Cold

raisingarizona

I blame the popularization of wind chill. totally made up metric. not especially usefull when you are covered head to toe in $3000 worth of fancy ski clothes.
You wear 3k in ski clothing? that's insane.

Wind chill isn't real until you have some exposed skin in it and quickly realize that it's real, like very VERY real and it can kill you very quickly.

NYDB

not quite for me -probably around $1200 not counting boots and helmet - but the last time we talked about shells on this forum arteryx,, hh, patagonia were mentioned prominently. what's that-$1,500 on the low end for top and bottom shell kit? $150-300 for base layers, 200 for mid layer, $200 for puffy, $50 balaclava, gloves $100 + not to mention all the high dollar heated shit people have.

it's like everyone having a suped up pickup or 4x4 and using it only to get starbucks. which does seem to be the case most of the time.

outside of this afternoon and tommorow before 12 it's not really going to be that cold.

KustyTheKlown

i ripped my strafe jacket pretty bad in the woods over the weekend and just picked up a very sweet goretex norrona

Vter

Wind chill isn't real until you have some exposed skin in it and quickly realize that it's real, like very VERY real and it can kill you very quickly.
3K in ski clothing is Not insane…It’s what it costs. I’ve got $75 Patti briefs under it all, and my scene is very very versatile in any, i mean any conditions !
I’m a $5 G skier posing for photos and loving it & ya I Rip too. However, I smell like shit Most of the time, so stay far away, my expensive underwear is 15 yrs old !

pinion

Gonna hit Cranmore tomorrow. Koessler is open and the sun will be out. Warm up at Meister Hut every few runs. Wildcat on Sunday assuming the winds die down a bit.

Reactions: Edd

raisingarizona

3K in ski clothing is Not insane…It’s what it costs. I’ve got $75 Patti briefs under it all, and my scene is very very versatile in any, i mean any conditions !
I’m a $5 G skier posing for photos and loving it & ya I Rip too. However, I smell like shit Most of the time, so stay far away, my expensive underwear is 15 yrs old !
I have no idea what any of this means but I strangely appreciate every bit of it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
$1500 for a shell kit? You guys paying list?

I'd say my 3L Flylow is darn good quality and I paid $300 for the pants and $350 for the jacket. Had this outfit for 7 years and still going strong. It's not quite GoreTex level, but plenty good enough when treated.

KustyTheKlown

i didnt get the norrona gore tex pro shell, which is 999. i got the insulated goretex 2L that was 550 on the norrona site but i got it for 499 from powder7. tried it on first at norrona store in nyc. they have great deals at powder7. killer sale on kastle and dps on their site apparently ends today. i almost bought the fx106.

KustyTheKlown

yea i think we've had this chat before, probably in my goretex thread, but i made a custom jacket from nwt3k many years ago. i liked it a lot. only complaint is that the velcro got fuzzy and ineffective sooner than i would have liked it to. i have a faction shell that is fine in the spring, but i prefer a lightly insulated main jacket. the norrona 2L is an upgrade from my strafe 2L in that the norrona has goretex waterproofing and hte strafe has some off-brand stuff, but the norrona is still only 20k waterproof. their gore tex pro shell is 3L and 28k. i think i'm gonna like the norrona tho. i dont mind skiing with the ripped strafe with duct tape on it, but i also use it as a city jacket and the duct tape is a little ratchet for daily street use.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yea i think we've had this chat before, probably in my goretex thread, but i made a custom jacket from nwt3k many years ago. i liked it a lot. only complaint is that the velcro got fuzzy and ineffective sooner than i would have liked it to. i have a faction shell that is fine in the spring, but i prefer a lightly insulated main jacket. the norrona 2L is an upgrade from my strafe 2L in that the norrona has goretex waterproofing and hte strafe has some off-brand stuff, but the norrona is still only 20k waterproof. their gore tex pro shell is 3L and 28k. i think i'm gonna like the norrona tho. i dont mind skiing with the ripped strafe with duct tape on it, but i also use it as a city jacket and the duct tape is a little ratchet for daily street use.

How long ago was that and how effective was their waterproofing? The reviews I've read state not as good as GoreTex, but pretty solid.

Wonder if they use the same materials today as when you bought yours

KustyTheKlown

Looking at my emails it looks like I got it summer 2015 for winter 2016. I used it for 3 seasons or so. I still have it somewhere. Waterproofing was good as I recall. Velcro on wrist tightening system became useless eventually. And I just prefer insulated jackets over shells.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looking at my emails it looks like I got it summer 2015 for winter 2016. I used it for 3 seasons or so. I still have it somewhere. Waterproofing was good as I recall. Velcro on wrist tightening system became useless eventually. And I just prefer insulated jackets over shells.

I have an insulated Flylow kit that I use for below 15 degree days. They definitely have their place and it keeps me warmer than bulky underlayers with my shell kit

Granite1

Thank you Loon Mountain for being about 100 percent open today and tomorrow!!! I'll be there for first gondi on Saturday!!!

• LAST UPDATED: FRIDAY, 04:10 PM

Trails​

• Lifts Open
      • Trails Open
      • Acres Open
  • Snow | Loon Peak​

• 0 "
      • 12 Hrs.
      • 1 "
      • 24 Hrs.
      • 3 "
      • 7 Days
  • Surface​

• MachineGroomed
      • Primary Surface
      • PackedPowder
      • Secondary Surface

It's Still Cold​

Despite the extreme temperatures, if you braved it today, we hope you enjoyed the solitude and rather chilly air.
Saturday, will remain cold but hopefully the abundant sunshine will make a difference. The morning is projected to be cold, with a high of –14 at the base and –26 at the summit, “warming” up to 3 degrees at the base, and –7 at the summit by the end of the day. Winds could impact lift operations in the morning, but they are expected to diminish throughout the day.
Layer up, cover all of your skin, and be sure to take frequent breaks. Maybe get a hot chocolate while you’re at it. 50 trails will be anticipating your turns starting at 8:00AM tomorrow.

Kingslug20

Ide say 2k boots helmets,goggles gloves...everything..and you have about as good as you need...
Compared to road racing...it's pretty cheap.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ide say 2k boots helmets,goggles gloves...everything..and you have about as good as you need...
Compared to road racing...it's pretty cheap.

That sounds about right. The only thing I go over the top with is boots.

Boots: $650
Custom Orthotics: $300
Custom shell and liner work: $200
Hottronics: $250
Booster Strap: $65

So, $1465 on my feet. But the Orthotics and Hottronics are in the second pair. So call it $1215.

Worth it.