• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LiftBlog Reports that Smuggs and Stowe are Exploring an Interconnect Gondola

Cobbold

"Well, then you don't know about us then. EPIC is MORE, not less!"

images

;)

On a serious note, Vail wants more control of the market. They don't believe in a less is more approach.

Cobbold

Thing is we don’t know how vail values Smuggs, so this like talking about the nfl draft. Two weeks before it happens, it all opinions without any real insider knowledge. But Breckinridge put out a press a while ago it was ” better not larger”. So may be vail wants to focus on what they have instead of making everything larger, not sure Smuggs brings much to the table for pass sales, but what do I know

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thing is we don’t know how vail values Smuggs, so this like talking about the nfl draft. Two weeks before it happens, it all opinions without any real insider knowledge. But Breckinridge put out a press a while ago it was ” better not larger”. So may be vail wants to focus on what they have instead of making everything larger, not sure Smuggs brings much to the table for pass sales, but what do I know
Again, I think that truth be told Smuggs was more interested in a merger than Vail. But the appeal is there considering that Stowe is often full now.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I think Smuggs brings quite a bit to the table for pass sales. Much easier to get to Smuggs from Metro - East Burlington than it is Stowe or Sugarbush.

Adding Smuggs gets them 45 minutes closer to Montreal, which is a very large market only 2 hours from Smuggs. Bet that syphons visits from Tremblant, Jay and numerous other PQ areas.

Parking at Stowe is an issue. Smuggs could present better opportunities to expand parking that locals would use.

The marketing piece has been mentioned about becoming the largest ski area in the East. They would also market the hell out of the expert terrain. Instead of the front 4, now we get the great 8 or something else corny.

I hope it never happens, but any ski business owner focused on revenue alone would salivate at that combined property.

Cobbold

I think Smuggs brings quite a bit to the table for pass sales. Much easier to get to Smuggs from Metro - East Burlington than it is Stowe or Sugarbush.

Adding Smuggs gets them 45 minutes closer to Montreal, which is a very large market only 2 hours from Smuggs. Bet that syphons visits from Tremblant, Jay and numerous other PQ areas.

Parking at Stowe is an issue. Smuggs could present better opportunities to expand parking that locals would use.

The marketing piece has been mentioned about becoming the largest ski area in the East. They would also market the hell out of the expert terrain. Instead of the front 4, now we get the great 8 or something else corny.

I hope it never happens, but any ski business owner focused on revenue alone would salivate at that combined property.

Cobbold

All good points, but we don’t know how vail views Smuggs, and if Vail really wanted Smuggs would they have already purchased it?

raisingarizona

It would be the biggest thing in east coast skiing. Even if the actual footprint isn’t larger than killington it would ski SO much larger than Killington. I think it would get a shit ton of people to commit to the Epic pass imo.

Well if they can’t do a gondola how about a tunnel with a conveyor belt like Snowbird? Or a shuttle bus/snowcat? Maybe a handle tow that can be pulled off every spring and put back once winter hits. I don’t know much really but birds seem to do just fine around human activity.

ColdRain&Snow

It would be the biggest thing in east coast skiing. Even if the actual footprint isn’t larger than killington it would ski SO much larger than Killington. I think it would get a shit ton of people to commit to the Epic pass imo.

Agreed, I’d try epic for a year with this.

SnowRock

Again, I think that truth be told Smuggs was more interested in a merger than Vail. But the appeal is there considering that Stowe is often full now.

I agree. That’s what I took from that article. I think that’s why Smuggs is the face of this. Really does seem like Vail likely laid it out for Stritzler… soften the beach and get through some red tape and we will cut you a check.

Cobbold

My guess no interconnect, Vail has no interest in Smuggs, Maybe some billionaire will buy it and use some of his interest income to modernize the lifts, the lodge

kingslug

Without an interconnect this will be pretty useless...
It's a bit far to travel from Stowe to Smuggs...
Now if they upgraded the lifts...that would be worth it.
We shall see.

ThatGuy

thetrailboss

Staff member

doublediamond

Is it possible to have a snowcat/snow coach connector through the notch? How long would that take one way?

Hawk

Well if they can’t do a gondola how about a tunnel with a conveyor belt like Snowbird? Or a shuttle bus/snowcat? Maybe a handle tow that can be pulled off every spring and put back once winter hits. I don’t know much really but birds seem to do just fine around human activity.
RA, not really. Smuggs is not that big, does not have a ton of trails and they are not designed for heavy traffic. Mostly old school twisty NE type trails. Personnally I think the interconnect would ruin smuggs. But that is just me.