• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LiftBlog Reports that Smuggs and Stowe are Exploring an Interconnect Gondola

Edd

Yes, agree the intention must be acquisition of Smuggs. If so, I guess they just want to dodge the pushback from Smuggs locals as long as possible but they’ve gotta be hearing it from them already. A gondola minus a merge makes little sense to me.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, agree the intention must be acquisition of Smuggs. If so, I guess they just want to dodge the pushback from Smuggs locals as long as possible but they’ve gotta be hearing it from them already. A gondola minus a merge makes little sense to me.
"On the contrary, I am hearing lots of cries from that side of the Notch to 'denazify' and 'demilitarize' the Smuggs regime. If things get worse, I will have to launch an EPIC special military operation."

rob_katz_0.jpg
151215151339-putin-ski-tease.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

skef

And how about the fact that there is zero beginner terrain on either side?
sterling.PNGspruce.PNG

Mum skier

I guess I am the only person on this forum who is excited about this possibility. Loved the skiing on Sterling and Madonna at Smuggs, but too far to drive and can only put up with the slow lifts for a day or two. Combine with Stowe on Epic and that’s a good ski vacation in my opinion! Now I have to exit this forum until people forget I wrote this…….

BenedictGomez

In line with thread, I still fail to see how this would extend a lifeline to Smuggs. Yes, it would Garner some attention but at this point, without details on an interchangable pass, it's about as good as slipping the rope between PC and DV. Unless you have both passes, how much is it worth to a skier/rider?

For 6 years I worked at Stowe and bought a college pass (not kidding) at Smuggers Notch for like $250 - $300.

It was over-the-mountain-and-back-at-will blissfulness.

BenedictGomez

That's why I think that, despite what Smuggs says publicly, Vail is looking to make Smuggs truly EPIC. That is the only logical explanation.

100%.

Guy's now in his 80s, kids dont want to do it. Vail could create their eastern Park City, and they'd also pick up a lot of lodging, which they'd instantly upgrade & charge out the nose for. Smuggs local, family, old-school vibe will be gone forever.

And tragically it's pretty obviously going to happen. :cry:

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I guess I am the only person on this forum who is excited about this possibility. Loved the skiing on Sterling and Madonna at Smuggs, but too far to drive and can only put up with the slow lifts for a day or two. Combine with Stowe on Epic and that’s a good ski vacation in my opinion! Now I have to exit this forum until people forget I wrote this…….
Tomato-Free-Download-PNG.png

mbedle

100%.

Guy's now in his 80s, kids dont want to do it. Vail could create their eastern Park City, and they'd also pick up a lot of lodging, which they'd instantly upgrade & charge out the nose for. Smuggs local, family, old-school vibe will be gone forever.

I don't believe they would get any lodging. It doesn't appear that Smugg's owns any lodging (I didn't go through every unit's ownership info, so they might own a couple of condos), they do appear to manage all of the rentals.

BodeMiller1

If the two ski areas are talking about a deal there would most likely be a gag order. Neither side would be able to "share" what's taking place. :unsure::coffee:

skef

I don't believe they would get any lodging. It doesn't appear that Smugg's owns any lodging (I didn't go through every unit's ownership info, so they might own a couple of condos), they do appear to manage all of the rentals.
During the 2011/2012 (?) financial crisis, Smuggs was in the midst of some significant development on the North Hill (the Owls buildings and a new Tamaracks or two), and found themselves in need of a partner. Windham (I think) swooped in and took over some large fraction of the Owls, the new Tamaracks buildings (I think), and wanted more. So they bought out one of the three (slightly older) Kestrals buildings. I was lucky enough to own a 1/3 share of a unit in said Kestrals that I was keen to sell. The Windham buyout meant we lost only about a sixth of what we paid for instead of a third. Are the Windham units something Vail could acquire en masse?

raisingarizona

100%.

Ya but hopefully with Vail money they can finally blast all the annoying rocks off the Madonna lift line. That’s one of the worst ski runs I’ve ever been on and it destroyed my bases. It would be nice to see a winch cat groom that sucker.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ya but hopefully with Vail money they can finally blast all the annoying rocks off the Madonna lift line. That’s one of the worst ski runs I’ve ever been on and it destroyed my bases. It would be nice to see a winch cat groom that sucker.
"Oh, you just wait man! It is going to be EPIC!"
18921a46-8c28-519e-b1fa-aa57ff8f8338.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
This just in: the State of Vermont has deemed those to be protected historical landmarks as the Druids placed them there thousands of years ago. Film at 11.

;)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Deadheadskier posted this article in the Stowe thread. Spolier alert: the Bicknell's Thrush strikes again!