• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LiftBlog Reports that Smuggs and Stowe are Exploring an Interconnect Gondola

BenedictGomez

So put a fork in that idea. All done.

I actually don't think so, there was a remarkable amount of non-closure there.

I still maintain this could happen if the correct politicians are lubricated. It's clearly a long-shot, but give it a decade or so.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Spolier alert: the Bicknell's Thrush strikes again!

Vail needs to pay some expert geneticists to see if Bicknell's Thrush really is a true species or not. Note the presence of the word "despite" in the below. Honestly, I'd respect Vail more if they did so, may as well go next-level evil and just become Hollywood's full-on evil depiction of corporate America.

"We conclude that Bicknell’s Thrush and Gray-cheeked Thrush are 2 distinct species-level lineages despite low levels of Gray-cheeked Thrush introgression in Bicknell’s Thrushes, and divergence has been maintained by a long history of allopatry in subtly different habitats."

Hawk

I still maintain this could happen if the correct politicians are lubricated. It's clearly a long-shot, but give it a decade or so.
There are an insane amount of really rich people at Stowe. Thier influence can't be overlooked. Maybe but the trend lately is toword conservation so the odds are not in thier favor.

thetrailboss

Staff member

The other thing to note is the desperation of the owner of Smuggs to see this go through. That tells me that he wants out of the resort.

HowieT2

The other thing to note is the desperation of the owner of Smuggs to see this go through. That tells me that he wants out of the resort.
He's in his late eighties, no?
If the economics are compelling this won't be the final chapter of this story.

thetrailboss

Staff member
He's in his late eighties, no?
If the economics are compelling this won't be the final chapter of this story.
Yes he is. He also claims that there were no talks to merge with Vail. This suggests otherwise. I bet that Vail told him that the interconnect was necessary for them to even consider buying Smuggs.

Cobbold

Yes he is. He also claims that there were no talks to merge with Vail. This suggests otherwise. I bet that Vail told him that the interconnect was necessary for them to even consider buying Smuggs.
Play the devils advocate, what if vail never had any interest in Smuggs?.

BenedictGomez

Bingo!

BS does all-of-a-sudden seem unusually motivated to fulfill this project, especially for a guy who's owned said resort for decades.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Vail might still buy it.....
"Might?! That bitch is BEGGING me for an EPIC takeover!"

Rob-Katz-Vail-Resort-Winter-04.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Vail needs to pay some expert geneticists to see if Bicknell's Thrush really is a true species or not. Note the presence of the word "despite" in the below. Honestly, I'd respect Vail more if they did so, may as well go next-level evil and just become Hollywood's full-on evil depiction of corporate America.

"We conclude that Bicknell’s Thrush and Gray-cheeked Thrush are 2 distinct species-level lineages despite low levels of Gray-cheeked Thrush introgression in Bicknell’s Thrushes, and divergence has been maintained by a long history of allopatry in subtly different habitats."

"I like your thinking, big guy!"

a674dd99c791837e8b59af3107a7d217

ThatGuy

“Complete extirpation of this pest species is the only answer, they can’t block our domination if Bicknels Thrush is extinct. My stormtroopers will be deploying Agent Orange into the Notch”
IMG_1577.jpeg

BenedictGomez

I don't know. Seems to me that smuggs is not so attractive unless its connected to Stowe. It needs a ton of capital investment for lifts and lodging.

Agreed. I think Vail would also acquire as much of the lodging as they could, perhaps in a separate transaction, and refurbish galore.

Cobbold

I don't know. Seems to me that smuggs is not so attractive unless its connected to Stowe. It needs a ton of capital investment for lifts and lodging.
Not so sure Smuggs really brings much to the table for stowe/ vail, place needs 50 million in upgrades

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not so sure Smuggs really brings much to the table for stowe/ vail, place needs 50 million in upgrades
They want to be able to say that they have the largest resort on the east coast. I don't know if a merger would result in that, but it must come pretty close.

BenedictGomez

They want to be able to say that they have the largest resort on the east coast. I don't know if a merger would result in that, but it must come pretty close.

It should be pretty close or more than Killington. Just add in the skiable back bowls and I think it must be bigger.

x10003q

Deadheadskier posted this article in the Stowe thread. Spolier alert: the Bicknell's Thrush strikes again!

You have to love the quotes against the connection.
“The (district stewardship team) believes the proposed project is located on a portion of state lands that are not compatible with the type of use proposed for the area,” Greenough wrote in the memo’s conclusion. “It is unlikely any strategies to avoid or minimize impacts associated with a project of this nature could result in it being compatible with an area of such high ecological sensitivity and social value."

The area is located between two giant ski areas that are separated by 2600ft. There are chairlifts at each end of the proposed gondola. There is snowmaking on both sides of the area. I was up there a few decades ago and I am pretty sure you can see the trails on Mansfield at some point. There is a road 1200ft below. Thousands of cars are parked within 2 miles of the area. No social value? Wow.

“The members of the Barre District Stewardship Team have reviewed and discussed this proposal thoroughly and with an open mind over the past two years. It is the unanimous decision of this Team that this project does not move forward. If it does move forward, it will be without the Team’s support and against the strong and unequivocal recommendation of the Barre District Stewardship Team.”

Open mind?? What a joke. Not one person saw a recreation value to adding this lift??

And just to make sure.....
“The placement of towers by helicopters, the operation of large equipment for ground construction, and the use of chainsaws to thin the corridor, will all impact the movement and reproductive patterns of species using the area,” Greenough wrote. “Both the noise and visual disturbance will, at minimum, cause a temporary disturbance to local species, including Bicknell’s Thrush and black bear.”
:ROFLMAO:

Cobbold

You might be right, but stowe is pretty unique by itself why tamper with that, sometimes less is more.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You might be right, but stowe is pretty unique by itself why tamper with that, sometimes less is more.
"Well, then you don't know about us then. EPIC is MORE, not less!"

images

;)

On a serious note, Vail wants more control of the market. They don't believe in a less is more approach.