• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LiftBlog Reports that Smuggs and Stowe are Exploring an Interconnect Gondola

Tonyr

I think the base to base gondola is going to be ultimately necessary. There is no family friendly terrain from the top of spruce/sterling. On Spruce, you are stuck with diamonds to ski back to the Spruce base. If the connector is put in, and without any new trails put in on Spruce, there is going to be a hell of a lot of warning signs about lack of intermediate and beginner terrain being available to ski back down to Spruce.
That's a good point, right now you'd need to be atleast an intermediate skier to do the proposed crossover. Also Stowe would have to do a better job of keeping Sterling and Upper Sterling open as it's the only intermediate way down on the Stowe side.

mbedle

That's a good point, right now you'd need to be atleast an intermediate skier to do the proposed crossover. Also Stowe would have to do a better job of keeping Sterling and Upper Sterling open as it's the only intermediate way down on the Stowe side.
As far as sterling, that's tough to keep open with no snow making. Plus, you have to walk up hill at the base of the Sensation Quad to get back to the Spruce base lodge (unless racing is not occurring and the cat track is open across Main Street). In addition, with just a cross over gondola (and not base to base), Mansfield people will need to ride 4 lifts just to get to the top of Sterling and Im guess a little more than 30 minutes with ski on lifts. From the Smugglers, it's going to be either two or three lifts to get to the top of Spruce (depending on which base area you are coming from). With all that said, with just the connector gondola, I really think you are looking at a somewhat limited use to allow intermediate and advanced skiers the opportunity to spread out over the two resorts and improve parking at Stowe. But as DH stated early, the base to base might ultimately be the goal in providing a better resort experience.

raisingarizona

It doesn't have to be accessible to total beginner skiers.

mbedle

It doesn't have to be accessible to total beginner skiers.
No, it doesn't. However, from a business standpoint, it would be better if it was accessible to all skiers. With the current setup at Spruce, it's limited to expert only during most of the season. Keep in mind that Vail is the company that turned the runs on Upper Spruce to expert and also changed Upper Toll House to intermediate to keep beginners off the Quad.

machski

No, it doesn't. However, from a business standpoint, it would be better if it was accessible to all skiers. With the current setup at Spruce, it's limited to expert only during most of the season. Keep in mind that Vail is the company that turned the runs on Upper Spruce to expert and also changed Upper Toll House to intermediate to keep beginners off the Quad.
Not sure about that. You need to thin the demand on the proposed connection gondola. Only 1200/hr, you don't want every single skier/rider trying to use it.

cdskier

Not sure about that. You need to thin the demand on the proposed connection gondola. Only 1200/hr, you don't want every single skier/rider trying to use it.

I think 1200/hr is fine for a connector lift. This isn't a primary lift. People don't need to constantly ride it. Even if both resorts were combined under a single pass, everyone isn't going to constantly be taking this lift at the same time.

Newpylong

They'd have to install snowmaking on it... That's a prereq before this lift goes in IMHO. I am actually surprised it hasn't been done yet, there must be some fun permitting obstacles, it is VT after all.

xlr8r

I think 1200/hr is fine for a connector lift. This isn't a primary lift. People don't need to constantly ride it. Even if both resorts were combined under a single pass, everyone isn't going to constantly be taking this lift at the same time.
Agreed, I have never seen line at Slidebrook at Sugarbush or Tote Road at Loon, and have only ever had to wait a couple cabins for the Over Easy Gondola. Connector lifts do not need to be high capacity.

Another thing that don't think has been brought up yet, is that there will need to be a contingency plan to get people back from one resort to the other if this new gondola, Sensation, or Sterling shutdown midday due to a breakdown, windhold, etc. Its a long drive between the two in winter, and multiple shuttle buses will be needed.

kendo

Main St should be rated blue, like Sterling. No idea why it's an expert.

It's a wide boulevard, covered with snowmaking, usually 100% groomed nightly, with only the Main St Headwall pitch to challenge lower intermediates to make 3 or 4 turns. They could cut a jughandle or bypass adjacent to the headwall - to ensure it would be an intermediate for all - without going thru the expense of adding snowmaking to Sterling.

I'm not complaining as I love the solitude of skiing off Sensation, but it's an easy fix to make the crossover Gondola doable for most skiers, most of the season.

kendo

Another thing that don't think has been brought up yet, is that there will need to be a contingency plan to get people back from one resort to the other if this new gondola, Sensation, or Sterling shutdown midday due to a breakdown, windhold, etc. Its a long drive between the two in winter, and multiple shuttle buses will be needed.

deleted my reply (n/a).

mbedle

Good point about having a plan to get people back to each resort. I believe that Stowe has a small fleet of busses available.
Agreed, I have never seen line at Slidebrook at Sugarbush or Tote Road at Loon, and have only ever had to wait a couple cabins for the Over Easy Gondola. Connector lifts do not need to be high capacity.

Tin Woodsman

I just don’t think it’s comparable. Squaw and Alpine have had shared pass/ticket access for years. People already skied both places on the same pass, and then they built a lift to make it easier. Smuggs is remote and hard to reach and doesn’t share any access with Stowe. This lift cuts an hour drive off the trip to Smuggs and gives access to hordes of bargain bin walmart pass people.
That implicitly assumes that you'll be able to ski Smuggs with your Epic Pass. Not sure that's an accurate assumption in the least.

Of course if Vail buys Smuggs, that changes things, but you're still talking about a 3 lift journey just to get there, and likely close to 90 minutes altogether just to get back to where you started.. I don't think this will be as overrun as people think.

Last edited:

kbroderick

Main St should be rated blue, like Sterling. No idea why it's an expert.

It's a wide boulevard, covered with snowmaking, usually 100% groomed nightly, with only the Main St Headwall pitch to challenge lower intermediates to make 3 or 4 turns. They could cut a jughandle or bypass adjacent to the headwall - to ensure it would be an intermediate for all - without going thru the expense of adding snowmaking to Sterling.

I'm not complaining as I love the solitude of skiing off Sensation, but it's an easy fix to make the crossover Gondola doable for most skiers, most of the season.
Isn't Main Street usually maintained as a race and training venue (i.e. surface optimized more for racing than recreational skiing) and often used as such (ie closed to the public)?

kendo

Isn't Main Street usually maintained as a race and training venue (i.e. surface optimized more for racing than recreational skiing) and often used as such (ie closed to the public)?

Main Street Race is a separate run - between Sensation HSQ and Main St Headwall.

MainSt.JPG

Upper Main St & Main St Headwall are open to all, usually always groomed and ski as a blue. Once in a while, they'll be a blue/black in the worst conditions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
To be honest, I'm surprised they have yet to add snowmaking to Sterling. I would think they'd want a reliable ttb blue off Spruce

cdskier

To be honest, I'm surprised they have yet to add snowmaking to Sterling. I would think they'd want a reliable ttb blue off Spruce

Granted my opinion is from a whopping 2 runs on Sterling this past winter (which was my first time skiing Spruce at all) so take this with a grain of salt. Personally I loved it with all natural snow. It reminded me of a longer, slightly more difficult version of Walt's run at Sugarbush/Mt Ellen. If I was a regular at Stowe, I'd prefer it stay all natural as that adds character to me.

Although I can also understand the argument for adding snowmaking and do think it makes sense to provide a reliable TTB blue on that peak.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No doubt, it's a great natural run. Whirlaway and Smugglers are also great natural runs. I'm just thinking of the washed masses.

cdskier

No doubt, it's a great natural run. Whirlaway and Smugglers are also great natural runs. I'm just thinking of the washed masses.

Loved both of those. Whirlaway was closed my first run down Sterling (spring day and patrol wanted to let it soften up before opening it), but then as I was riding the lift back up I thought I saw someone on it. Asked patrol at the top and one patroller confirmed they had just dropped the rope, but cautioned that he wasn't sure how soft it would be. My response was "only one way to find out." Turned out it was phenomenal soft spring bumps. Could have easily been opened earlier. Skied Smugglers after that which was a blast as well with more awesome spring bumps.