• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that are never open

dlague

Couple others I just thought of:
Whitney's Inn/Moody's Run J-Bar at Black (NH)
The Village Double at Ragged -- Is that thing even still functional?

I remember it ran a few seasons a go. I believe it has one speed. Certainly a relic, but it should still be operational!

I have been on it before, I think a couple years ago now with our nephew who is not a very good skier! If it is not busy ten it does not run, but if there are lot of people then it runs! Not much ban for the buck IMO but might be worth it for beginners and intermediates.

soposkier

Couple others I just thought of:
Whitney's Inn/Moody's Run J-Bar at Black (NH)
The Village Double at Ragged -- Is that thing even still functional?

Rode the village double a few years ago ( I want to say the last year of the spear triple). The line for the 6 pack was too long and I was too lazy to walk to the triple from the lodge, so the double was a nice option.

dlague

Rode the village double a few years ago ( I want to say the last year of the spear triple). The line for the 6 pack was too long and I was too lazy to walk to the triple from the lodge, so the double was a nice option.

That is generally a nice way over to the Spear lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Which is one of the two choices from the lodge at night!

They no longer run Ramrod at night? The two times I've been night skiing there it's been running. Id boot up at the Stockade Lodge and take the Ramrod up to ski down lower Tiger to the triple. I've always thought they should extend and realign the lift down closer to the lodge. The run-out would suck getting there, but I think it would improve the overall experience.

Anyway you slice it though, Gunstock has the worst lift setup anywhere in terms of easy access from the base lodge to the lifts. Sugarloaf is pretty bad as well. Only Whiffletree and the short beginner lift are convenient there.

dlague

They no longer run Ramrod at night? The two times I've been night skiing there it's been running. Id boot up at the Stockade Lodge and take the Ramrod up to ski down lower Tiger to the triple. I've always thought they should extend and realign the lift down closer to the lodge. The run-out would suck getting there, but I think it would improve the overall experience.

Anyway you slice it though, Gunstock has the worst lift setup anywhere in terms of easy access from the base lodge to the lifts. Sugarloaf is pretty bad as well. Only Whiffletree and the short beginner lift are convenient there.

Ramrod still runs at night but I never use the Penny Pitou lift so Tiger is one of the two choices IMO

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ramrod still runs at night but I never use the Penny Pitou lift so Tiger is one of the two choices IMO

I guess when you said two choices I was thinking Tiger and Pistol chairs. That's why I was asking if they no longer run Ramrod. I too wouldn't ski off the Penny.

dlague

I guess when you said two choices I was thinking Tiger and Pistol chairs. That's why I was asking if they no longer run Ramrod. I too wouldn't ski off the Penny.

Now Pistol would be a real hike! I was not counting that one because that is absolutely too far.

Rushski

I ski mostly weekdays (specifically Fridays) and there are always a lot of shorter, older lifts that rarely open.

Sure they have them turning on weekends...

ExtremeRyan

The double lift at Stowe seems to always be closed, it doesn't really matter because you can access all the same stuff with the quad though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

I don't think I ever saw the Devils fiddle quad run in the 50 something visits I had to K between 93-07, including Christmas and Presidents' Day. Did that lift ever actually spin?

Savemeasammy

I remember skiing OL and then skating over to the Devil's Fiddle Quad to avoid the huge line at the BMQ.

Savemeasammy

There were some nice lines and usually a few kickers below the cutover, so I always skied ol to the bottom.