• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon 01/26/07

mckay

Date(s) Skied: 01/26/07

Resort or Ski Area: Loon Mountain, Lincoln, NH

Conditions: PP

Trip Report:

My first time skiing Loon and I was very, very impressed. It was also the coldest day I've ever been skiing. A wind chill advisory was in effect. Car said - 4 when we got there, weather report said feels like - 20. Other than problems with my glasses fogging, the cold wasn't an issue. Toe and hand warmers, layers, and a mask did the trick.

I was really surprised there were so many people there considering the temps. I've been staying away from Loon because of what I've heard about the huge crowds they get. I figured a non-holiday Friday that was 20 below there wouldn't be anyone there -- wrong! It wasn't crowded by any means, but we did have to wait in short lines for the gondola all day. And the summit cafe was packed at 1:00 pm.

Extremely friendly atmosphere. We had great conversations with all sorts of people on the gondola. They had nice people standing by the trail maps all day. Loved the Jamaican-themed summit cafe.

Now on to the skiing. I just started skiing last year, been about 35 times, I'd say I'm a lower intermediate skier, and I LOVED the terrain at Loon. To me, the blue trails were just awesome. Steep enough to get up some good speed, but I didn't find myself wasting energy checking my speed all day. You can just go bombing down them. The conditions were nice packed powder with only a very few icy spots. One trail, Speak Easy, was more like frozen granular, but the rest were great. They have beautiful little traverses there with nice views. Bear Claw Extension was our favorite with it's view of the lake. The place made me feel like a better skiier than I am -- probably another reason it's so popular.

In summary, I had one of my best days on skis at Loon and I can't wait to go back next time I can wriggle out of work on a freezing cold, non-holiday weekday when they have good snow.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
snowmaking

nice report. Loon really cranks out the snowmaking, nothing seems spared. I don't think you can ask for any more. I don't know how they can afford it.

Loon is fine during the week. The cold made it even less busy. It's the weekends that get tough, even with Bob's great tips. It's almost too easy to get to from Boston!