• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon, NH: 04/08/06

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
don't usually post TR's here, but given the high amount of folks that ski loon and a particular tie in regarding the quantity vs. quality post, i thought a post here would be interesting to drum up some continued conversation about that issue.

this morning, i rolled outta bed at 7am and fired up my computer to check conditions. things didn't seem too bad until i stuck my head out the door, and boy was it cold! i slacked around online until about 9am when i decided i might as well give it a shot today. after my powder day at saddleback on thursday, i knew i was in for disappointment, but i figured it would at least be worth the drive... hehe!!!

i knew jays woods wouldn't be pretty after the rain and a freeze. still had a voucher for loon and i suspect a place with good grooming would be the best option today. not even loon's grooming could save the day, ouch! pulled up to a relatively empty mountain, sherman adams lodge was sporting high school racers who either already finished their run or were waiting for their run, i couldn't tell. but i could tell even these racers would rather be indoors than taking a free run, ouch.

loon's coverage is very impressive considering what i encountered last sunday at cannon's last day (4-5 trails). loon still has the same number of trails open as a month ago with what i would guess be between 6-12" of solid base everywhere though a few thin spots were showing. an admirable job at snow making to say the least to still have that much tterrain open this late in the game given the year we have had.

snow conditions were crapola. i didn't even board a lift until around 11a, but things were still cold with a stiff breeze and no warm up in sight despite the partially sunny skis. one guy i rode the chair commented that things were "starting to soften up a bit" :blink: :blink: :blink: to which i replied my first run was my worst run of the entire season, hands down, no doubt in my mind. i guess when you are used to skiing scraped off man made snow, you get used to it!

i couldn't dig in an edge to save my life. what i would not have gived for a pair of volkl six stars freshly tuned. i felt like a freaking amateur out there. given that my skis haven't been tuned in four weeks/eight ski days, my edges were pretty dull... but even will dull edges i can normally dig in to most conditions. there simply was no "snow" to turn on, it was an icy groomer tread all over the mountain, no thanks. i took three runs and called it a day, wasn't even worth the one hour drive except that would have been wondering if i was missing out had i not gone.

so back to the QvQ discussion, this is the second weekend in a row that i showed up, skied three runs, determined it sucked and wasn't going to warm up, and took off. granted both of those days i was skiing for free. if i had paid for a lift ticket, i probably would have requested a voucher to come back for another day. it was that bad. some days just are not worth skiing, today was one of them, so was last sunday. when the quality is that bad, no amount of quantity could ever make up for it. it just wasn't fun.

all that said, tomorrow looks like a banner day with sunny skies and warming temps. if you are looking for groomers with softening snow, i suspect loon would be a good sunday option. depending on conditions, looks like either jay, wildcat, or tucks for me sunday. i think i will pack all the gear and head over to pinkham and make the call when i get there. worst case, i could skin up to the bowl, and if it stinks, ski down to pinkham and cross the road for the sunday afternoon cruise.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
You were at Cannon on Sunday!

I had my Alpine Zone hat on!!!!!!

Not only was I there, but I went back becaue my kid lost his cell phone.

You gotta admit...that though there was very little coverage...it was a great day

I even drove up to the tram in the first place, only to be dissapointed...but that's ok, the kids have already been on the tram at Jay....

And they hate trams...they did like the gondi at loon though...

Being a family of 5 is difficult though...althought there are some good points...it allows me to spearate the kid having the melt down at each point..

Damn....I wish we hooked up

awf170

Brettski said:
You gotta admit...that though there was very little coverage...it was a great day

riverc0il said:
anyone that firmly believes a bad day of skiing is better than a good day at the office doesn't get out on days like this :lol: there definitely are days on which i would rather be working than skiing, this was one of them. the only day of the season i can recall thinking "man, should have stayed home.".

Heh.:lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i took three runs and left. besides loon that was by far the worst of the year. not just because of the coverage, conditions were TERRIBLE (at least while i was there), but four trails just wasn't doing it for me on the first weekend of april. you must have gotten there after i left (11ish) or we just missed each other... there could not have been more than 15 people skiing when i was there. some people didn't even bother putting on their boots, they just packed up and went else where. they couldn't even give a free ticket away that day!

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
I guess it's a matter of perception

I got only 10 days in this year...so ANY day on the snow is a good day.

AND, with 3 kids, that's the important part.....

Since it was the first day of the week, it was a GREAT day.

OK, so the snow sucked.

So what.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
thetrailboss said:
I'm kinda surprised to hear Riv complaining about skiing. :blink:
i bitch about bad days all the time :D i have absolutely no connection with that bad day of skiing is better than a good day at work saying. some days just plain bite it. if i don't complain much, it is because i usually pick good days ;) :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
24 and still counting despite three weeks on the D/L. :D
:beer:

yea, i was actually thinking about starting up a thread on relativity. relativity works in two ways, when you ski a lot of days, it is easier to see them relative to each other in terms of quality whereas if you ski only a few, they usually all rock. relativitity in skiing also takes effect when half the days you ski are powder days. the non-powder days are still really great which makes days when conditions are truly terrible seem like not worth skiing. so relativitity of conditions compared to the rest of the season certainly is having an effect on my late season reporting at places like cannon last week and loon this week.

cheers!
:beer:

vimbuza

Conditions were similar this morning at wildcat. It was like boarding in a gravel pit until about 10:30 or so. After that, things softened up and cruising was great for the rest of the day. Had to check out that view everyone has been talking about:
VIEW_FROM_THE_TOP_OF_WILDCAT_MOUNTAIN.JPG

thetrailboss

Staff member
vimbuza said:
Conditions were similar this morning at wildcat. It was like boarding in a gravel pit until about 10:30 or so. After that, things softened up and cruising was great for the rest of the day. Had to check out that view everyone has been talking about:
VIEW_FROM_THE_TOP_OF_WILDCAT_MOUNTAIN.JPG

Wildcat, eh? Nice pic.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Can you say bluebird?

So the angst was because it was bullet proof in the am?

Thank goodness I took the family to Sunday breakfast at the woodstock inn....

Now that's some real corned beef hash and eggs...

That's a great place...

Ate in the back the next night though and was dissapointed...had to drown my disappointment with their homemade beer

Angus

skiied Stowe on Saturday and it was brutal too. anything that wasn't groomed was like skiing on rocks. the clumpy granular and corn had just frozen in place and was not going to be moved.

btw: plenty of snow on the top, sparse on the bottom.

only liftline and bottom half of national was open.