• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Valley Update on Feb 11th - Ski it if You Can on Feb 12th

WWF-VT

Mad River Glen Update on 2/11/16

Localized Lake Effect Storm Re-opens MRG!

10-20" (SERIOUSLY) of fluffy "Champlain Powder" has been delivered overnight and throughout the day and MRG is back in business on Friday! Oh and by the way… still DUMPING and doesn’t seem to be letting up! We have received upwards of 20" of new snow this week so far and not a moment too soon! It’s absolutely blower, the kind of “Champlain Powder” we sometimes get when the lake is unfrozen and the wind hits just right. Weird thing is that there is very little new snow just a few hundred feet in elevation down from the base area – very localized storm – very cool indeed!

And from Sugarbush:

Status update for Thu, Feb 11 1:30 PM

Better be at Sugarbush today, because we've got a full-on powder alert. The squall fall is tall and still dumping, with 3" more today, 8" overnight and 16" in the last 2 days.
We expect powder and packed powder conditions on 84 open trails, with ropes dropping on every trail at Mt. Ellen, except Black Diamond. Spillsville is set to open in the morning and we plan to assess Castlerock for potential opening.

jaybird

MRG was marvelous today!
We hiked & groomed it. It's all gone now.

Gomez, face it, you'll never be able to ski it.
Nice weather at your cubicle ?

KustyTheKlown

stoked to see signs of winter in the east

it's been sunny and 30s all week here in Colorado, so it's nice to see that the high pressure here means desperately needed snow back east

probably getting up to Maine weekend of the 20th

rocks860

Has anyone skied sugarbush recently ? I've got 2 free days left (1 quad pack 1 voucher) and I was thinking of maybe going up on the 20th

cdskier

Has anyone skied sugarbush recently ? I've got 2 free days left (1 quad pack 1 voucher) and I was thinking of maybe going up on the 20th

Last weekend...but obviously a lot has changed since then and a lot could change in the next week too depending on what the Tuesday storm does. I plan on being up next weekend no matter what happens with the weather though (taking this weekend off from VT as I usually skip the first weekend of President's and let my cousin's family use my condo for the weekend).

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Has anyone skied sugarbush recently ?

Yup, like every day. But again, very fluffy light snow fell with yesterday's "storm". Natural trails are still thin. Castlerock opens for hiking tomorrow, making us 100% open again. Still wouldn't venture into the woods. Bare ground just a few days ago. If anyone chooses to ski the natural trails, don't bring your newest, best gear. Rock skis/boards are the recommended equipment for those. I imagine MRG is the same way - don't know though, my kind isn't allowed there ;-)

jaybird

Yup, like every day. But again, very fluffy light snow fell with yesterday's "storm". Natural trails are still thin. Castlerock opens for hiking tomorrow, making us 100% open again. Still wouldn't venture into the woods. Bare ground just a few days ago. If anyone chooses to ski the natural trails, don't bring your newest, best gear. Rock skis/boards are the recommended equipment for those. I imagine MRG is the same way - don't know though, my kind isn't allowed there ;-)

On hill report ... the MRG double held the snow just fine !
The bush base helps massively, but with no woods, the alure evaporates.
The best snow along the spine this weekend will be at Middlebury.
Best snow in New England right now is in Fenway. Ask Egan.

Don't dilly dally... Just book a trip out west. It's great medicine !

HowieT2

Skied today. Snowmaking trails are excellent. Really couldn't be better. Natural snow trails have no base. Went into the woods briefly off paradise and the snow was a tease. No base.